Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

The pedestal that people place The Nurse on

Shadowchao121
Shadowchao121 Member Posts: 71
edited June 2018 in General Discussions

In every single discussion regarding The Nurse there are plenty of people on both sides of the matter.

I understand that she takes the most skill to use but it really gets old when people say

"Her skill cap is unfathomably and inconceivably high she's so hard to play very few people can even play her right/Etc"

I genuinely want to know if everyone truly believes this or if it's more subjective. We all know she isn't easier than anyone else but it's not that difficult. Anyone who plays her for like 2 hours can do just fine.

Post edited by Shadowchao121 on

Comments

• The_Manlet
    The_Manlet Member Posts: 474
    edited June 2018

She has the highest skill floor and highest skill cap, but she isn't that hard to learn at a basic level, just harder than the others, and a mediocre Nurse is more powerful than most other killers even when played by pros. But yeah, it takes a lot of time, effort and natural talent to become an expert with the Nurse, and at that point you become unstoppable. Overpowered. Broken. Because that's what the Nurse is, she's broken. She just ignores all the mechanics in the game and does whatever she wants, with her only limitations being player skill. Other killers are limited by the mechanics of the game and have inherently lower potential.

Nurse is actually the only killer who is in control of a chase. Every other killer is at a disadvantage and can only react to survivor mistakes while looping, except for the Huntress who can 50/50 certain loops. Nurse is the only killer in the power role. The other killers are reactionary.

• Shadowchao121

@The_Manlet said:
    She has the highest skill floor and highest skill cap, but she isn't that hard to learn at a basic level, just harder than the others, and a mediocre Nurse is more powerful than most other killers even when played by pros. But yeah, it takes a lot of time, effort and natural talent to become an expert with the Nurse, and at that point you become unstoppable. Overpowered. Broken. Because that's what the Nurse is, she's broken. She just ignores all the mechanics in the game and does whatever she wants, with her only limitations being player skill. Other killers are limited by the mechanics of the game and have inherently lower potential.

Nurse is actually the only killer who is in control of a chase. Every other killer is at a disadvantage and can only react to survivor mistakes while looping, except for the Huntress who can 50/50 certain loops. Nurse is the only killer in the power role. The other killers are reactionary.

Respectable as #########.

• Runiver
    Runiver Member Posts: 2,095
    edited June 2018

She's somewhat hard* to learn. She's mostly about "muscle memory" and getting used to it.
    Strategically talking tho, some other killers, such as Hag or Trapper, are way superior in term of learning compared to her.

Overall, being skilled with her is way too rewarding compared to what it should be, but survivors are in a similar place. Once you're good at survivor, you can pretty much waste any killer MINUTES in a round in a single chase, even without DS or insta-heals. (Except for Nurse, most of the time)

• Shadowchao121

@Runiver said:
    She's somewhat are to learn. She's mostly about "muscle memory" and get used to it.
    Strategically talking tho, some other killers, such as Hag or Trapper, are way superior in term of learning compared to her.

Overall, being skilled with her is way too rewarding compared to what it should be, but survivors are in a similar place. Once you're good at survivor, you can pretty much waste any killer MINUTES in a round in a single chase, even without DS or insta-heals. (Except for Nurse, most of the time)

Yeah i agree with that man i remember getting to rank one back in the day when Hag was stunned after every teleport using only her. Gooooooood times.

• Justice
    Justice Member Posts: 60

I don't think she is hard to play as per se, but she definitely requires the most skill. What I mean by that is yes after two full hours you can get her down just find, but that doesn't mean you will have mastered her blinks.

She requires a lot of risk/ reward play. If you blink the wrong direction, or not enough, or too much etc you can pay for it. Good survivors who know how to run very sporadically and break LOS can still outplay a Nurse. She also suffers from the same old DS/ BT/ SB/ Adrenaline/ DH users. Dead Hard is incredibly frustrating to play against, because a guaranteed hit leads to a miss and longer stun.

She is high risk high reward in the sense that you risk being stunned a lot with no payoff if you can't land your blinks. I have had games where I literally chase one survivor the entire match because I just can't land a hit. other games I land all of them and get a 3-4k. I think she is very balanced, but in mastered hands is impossible. luckily not very many people have mastered her.

• Master
    Master Member Posts: 10,200

@Shadowchao121 said:
    In every single discussion regarding The Nurse there are plenty of people on both sides of the matter.

I understand that she takes the most skill to use but it really gets old when people say

"Her skill cap is unfathomably and inconceivably high she's so hard to play very few people can even play her right/Etc"

I genuinely want to know if everyone truly believes this or if it's more subjective. We all know she isn't easier than anyone else but it's not that difficult. Anyone who plays her for like 2 hours can do just fine.

2 hours is not enough at all (unless you play at rank 20)
    Have you tried playing her by yourself against non-braindead survivors? Its not that simple

• boogiewoogie
    boogiewoogie Member Posts: 32

Nurse in the wrong hands against good survivors gets destroyed. I've had it done to me.
    But a good nurse will usually win the game. She's that good

2hrs... no way. Maybe you have the knack for her, but nobody plays her correctly within 2hrs

• Shadowchao121
    edited June 2018

@boogiewoogie said:
    Nurse in the wrong hands against good survivors gets destroyed. I've had it done to me.
    But a good nurse will usually win the game. She's that good

2hrs... no way. Maybe you have the knack for her, but nobody plays her correctly within 2hrs

I said "Can" Not "Will".

I also said they can do "Well enough" not "4k every game"

I mean hypothetically if someone plays her 2 hours nonstop in a session they can do alright. They'll get the hang of it.

• boogiewoogie

I still don't believe they "can" do well. They "will" get wrecked against good players.

• Shadowchao121
    edited June 2018

@boogiewoogie said:
    I still don't believe they "can" do well. They "will" get wrecked against good players.

Fair enough opinion. Respectable.

It's subjective both ways really anyway. "good" Survivors and the like.

• boogiewoogie

@Shadowchao121 said:
    Fair enough opinion. Respectable.

It's subjective both ways really anyway. "good" Survivors and the like.

I agree. There are a ton of factors.

But someone starting out with her will find it hard. We all have.
    Average game is say 10mins? That would make it 12 games. Most decent nurse mains have hundreds of hours invested. I have with Billy, and I still get destroyed if I make more than 1 wrong judgement call at top level.

• RathZa
    RathZa Member Posts: 12

I don't know if I can agree. The nurse is the hardest to learn and has a big advantage but I think most Survivors are just bad against her, because they have to play way differently than against any other killer. Anyone having perks good for stealth and go around carefuly and play to get out of sight and hide can lose the nurse or let her waste time finding you again. But most survivors brute force their way through the killer and the gens which doesn't work against the nurse. Stealth is the biggest weapon against her.

• SovererignKing
    SovererignKing Member Posts: 1,273

I disagree. Nurse is not broken. Most consider her broken because they *think* she ignores all in game mechanics. She doesn’t. The only game mechanic she ignores is Looping. Looping is a broken hit box cheese, however when she teleports, she temporarily removes her hitbox from play. This means the hit box can’t be abused. 

Nurse doesn’t ignore Pallets or windows. She doesn’t ignore perks. She simply changes the way you must use them. Fake out a window vault. Run past the Pallet, double back, drop it, slide. People who say she “ignores all game mechanics” as simply unable to to see Pallets and Windows as anything other than “safe spaces.” If they reach them, they are safe, period. With Nurse, she turns your “safe spaces” into mind games. You must correctly guess what the Nurse players next move will be. Will they blink past the window, or will they blink to the window. If you guess past, and fake the window, you win the mind game. If you fake it out, and the Nurse player guesses correctly you faked out the window vault, she scores a hit. 

She isnt “ignoring” game mechanics, she’s using them against you to play mind games. Outwit them and keep them second guessing, as much as they must keep you guessing. It’s not ignoring mechanics, it’s changing them into a deadly mind game. Which many Survivor players aren’t very good at.
  • RepliCant
    RepliCant Member Posts: 1,436
    edited June 2018

Hey, I see what you're saying. You're witnessing a lot of praise for a Killer and you have another opinion, that's okay.

But from my experience as a solely-played survivor, the Nurse has been either the easiest games I have ever played, or the hardest. This is why it's common to hear praise for a killer that doesn't actually comes off as "Hard" to use. We have to face the fact, not subjectively, but rationally, that she is indeed the hardest killer for learn. Therefore often putting her on that pedestal of praise.

Yes, The Nurse is actually the easiest killer to bully if she isn't learned. She is not like Wraith or The Pig where you can simply pick them up and have a good possibility at achieving kills. This is not the case for The Nurse.

For The Nurse you must:

• Accumulate and calculate the range of the blink and whether or not the survivor is going to dodge (juke), turn the other way, or keep going. Simple words: Know the length of blinks while predicting survivor movement. You must dictate whether or not a survivor is going to fake a window vault, throw down a pallet or loop. She does defy these mechanics, but still offer ways to for survivors to avoid her blink attacks. (To other survivors: Think differently. She defy's mechanics for a reason, and it doesn't make her broken. You can still win against a Rank 1 P3 Nurse, you just have to think out-of-the-box and play an unpredictable way. Adapt. That's what you should do.)
    • Know how long your lunge attack is. This is so commonly miscalculated - she is the Killer I see often most missing hits simply because they thought her lunge attack from a blink was long enough.
    • Handle and figure out how to deal with the fatigue. You must deal with the easiest Line of Sight breaker in the game. Many Nurses lose their chase due to their fatigue.
    • Slower movement speed than survivors themselves. Making her blinks an essential when playing her. Meaning, if you don't blink, you will probably lose the game. Ontop of that, it means you got to learn her blinks.

Out of all the Killers, she deserves the reward of being put on the very top pedestal. Her power is not easy to use until learned, and it means you must take that time to learn. It means countless mistakes. Her skill cap deserves that reward. Also, from what I see, The Nurse is one of those Killers that there's always something to improve in; which is awesome. Every Killer should stand at the power & skill where she does. She's not OP: She's the perfect balance.

Edit: I read some of the above, and it's subjective to think two hours is enough to learn how to handle a Nurse. If you didn't take the time to learn her, and you're in Rank 1-8, I suggest you try using her for two hours and see how much you'll get destroyed. I believe then you have the right to say whether or not two hours is good enough. These Nurses that do destroy the Ranks 1-8 put a lot of time into learning her, I don't think it took them two full hours to. We good survivors know how a bad a Nurse can be without the time put into her.

Post edited by RepliCant on
  • SeducedByDaemonette
    SeducedByDaemonette Member Posts: 300
    Again people overrate Nurse . Mediocore Nurse is not stronger than any killer . Don't rely on looping every time , god damn it .
  • The_Manlet

@SeducedByDaemonette said:
    Again people overrate Nurse . Mediocore Nurse is not stronger than any killer . Don't rely on looping every time , god damn it .

A mediocre Nurse is stronger than any other killer unless they're played by an absolute expert. Looping is the game. The devs have been making stealth less appealing with every update.

• SovererignKing
    SovererignKing Member Posts: 1,273

A mediocre Nurse is stronger than any other killer unless they're played by an absolute expert. Looping is the game. The devs have been making stealth less appealing with every update.

Simply because no matter what, the Survivor players push for it because of how easy it is. Started with infinite’s, devolved into Looping. Only reason : Because Survivors knew Looping is overpowered. Now suddenly Looping is being addressed slowly and Survivors are losing their minds. 

If they cant 1v1 Killers, suddenly everything is “useless, Killers are OP, everyone will quit the game, game will die.” 
  • SadonicShadow
    SadonicShadow Member Posts: 1,146

@SovererignKing said:
    The_Manlet said:

Simply because no matter what, the Survivor players push for it because of how easy it is. Started with infinite’s, devolved into Looping. Only reason : Because Survivors knew Looping is overpowered. Now suddenly Looping is being addressed slowly and Survivors are losing their minds. 

If they cant 1v1 Killers, suddenly everything is “useless, Killers are OP, everyone will quit the game, game will die.” 

Its pretty much expected at this point. Survivors kick and scream every step of the way for the preservation of broken mechanics that allow 1v1. I joined this community after infinite's were already dealt with via the entity blocker but for the sake of gaining perspective on the matter i took a dive through the DBD subreddit and steam forums looking for the survivors perspective on infinite's and of course almost every topic on the matter there were loads of survivors defending them. Saying the survivors need them, that the killer should just git gud or switch targets, etc. Now its the same with pallet looping and D strike. Bad survivors want to maintain broken mechanics that allow 1v1 because the idea that they will actually have to learn how too not be ass at a 4v1 game frightens them. Why they bought this game in the first place i dont know. I imagine the majority of them play it because its bully simulator 2018 and such play was popularized by streamers such as OchiDo, Noob3, Angrypug, etc. I hope the devs nerf survivors until killers are at the point where getting found by them is "oh #########, i dun ######### up" and not "yeah, boi. Got my sprint burst, flashlight and D strike all set and ready. Lets go to pallet town".

If DBD ever reaches that point that it is true 4v1 and the survivors no longer have any safety nets the game will be in a good spot.

• RepliCant
    edited June 2018

I guess that says a lot about the strength and power of the Killer role, then.

@SovererignKing said:
    The_Manlet said:

Sometimes I feel like my big-long, very explanatory posts go unread and unacknowledged.

Anyway, let's not generalize survivors who loop to every single survivor - as we shouldn't generalize every annoying aspect of a game that suggests everyone does it. Survivors like weirdkid5 and many others don't fall back of the clutch such of looping. Acknowledge that there's ones out there who do the skillful thing - Breaking LoS and juking. I'm glad pallets got a nerf (?) because ones who don't rely on them, aren't really effected one bit.

Nurse is very well at closing a chase and long ranges, defies the clutch of loops (That's actually a ######### blessing because I love the fact we even have a killer that encourages NOT looping) but you can still be destroyed by her without loops being present to begin with. And just because she can go through walls doesn't make her exactly easy either.

May I please say and where The Nurse stands is where EVERY GOD DAMN KILLER SHOULD LIKE GUYS, She's perfectly balanced. Don't disregard the fact that she's strong with mindlessly pointing out her mediocrity with no substantial evidence she's as weak as every other Killer. She isn't. And if you think she isn't as strong, as being the strongest killer in the game, that screams a whole lot of problems with the killers. Her skill cap is not subjective to opinion.

Not bashing but... Do you guys play at Rank 1-8, countless hours into the Nurse, or come across one as a survivor? It's a damn near challenge and it's fun as hell. I see a Wraith and there's practically barely any challenge and it's meh.

EDIT: (No DP)

Its pretty much expected at this point. Survivors kick and scream every step of the way for the preservation of broken mechanics that allow 1v1. I joined this community after infinite's were already dealt with via the entity blocker but for the sake of gaining perspective on the matter i took a dive through the DBD subreddit and steam forums looking for the survivors perspective on infinite's and of course almost every topic on the matter there were loads of survivors defending them. Saying the survivors need them, that the killer should just git gud or switch targets, etc. Now its the same with pallet looping and D strike. Bad survivors want to maintain broken mechanics that allow 1v1 because the idea that they will actually have to learn how too not be ass at a 4v1 game frightens them. Why they bought this game in the first place i dont know. I imagine the majority of them play it because its bully simulator 2018 and such play was popularized by streamers such as OchiDo, Noob3, Angrypug, etc. I hope the devs nerf survivors until killers are at the point where getting found by them is "oh #########, i dun ######### up" and not "yeah, boi. Got my sprint burst, flashlight and D strike all set and ready. Lets go to pallet town".

If DBD ever reaches that point that it is true 4v1 and the survivors no longer have any safety nets the game will be in a good spot.

Let me just state that in no way am I defending infinities or pallet looping but the original games intention was this is NOT a team based game, this is why 1v1s are viable as hell in this game.

This original games purpose was to be stuck in a trial, with a random 3 set of survivors that you don't have to give a damn about. Therefore: They made 1v1s really strong on the survivors side. Disagreeable but it's perfectly explained. There should be an actual chance for the survivor, just not the intensity of a SB, DS, SC combo. That's a bit too much.

I usually run Lightweight + Iron Will + Urban Evasion + Dead Hard and/or Lithe, and I feel genuinely rewarded when escaping a trial because I feel like I outplayed the killer with a loadout that doesn't even support loops to begin with. Stealthy play + juking needs to be more rewarded than running a 5 minute chase by going to every pallet on the map. I don't know why the ######### it isn't.

A question for you Killer mains: Do you genuinely feel respectfully outplayed when you're juked/by stealth than you do by being outran (Loops)?

A nurse supports jukes and stealthy play in a game that doesn't really support it.

• The_Manlet

I don't think the game being so 1vs1-able was intended. That was an unintended consequence of more skilled, obsessive players uncovering a meta playstyle and perk combination that made them stronger than intended.

• Jack11803
    Jack11803 Member Posts: 3,930

Nerf looping into a fresh Hell, then buff stealth, either by literally just buffing it, or nerfing killer detection perks. Maybe make all breathing, locker closing, and footsteps a bit quieter?

• RepliCant
    edited June 2018

@The_Manlet said:
    I don't think the game being so 1vs1-able was intended. That was an unintended consequence of more skilled, obsessive players uncovering a meta playstyle and perk combination that made them stronger than intended.

Of course not. The level of viability 1vs1 is at is insane. Like I said: You should be outplayed by the survivor, not outran. AKA jukes and stealth. Which is why I like the Nurse: She's the worst killer when it comes to stealthy plays. Have you ever noticed the best-skilled survivors are the ones that break LoS and just randomly disappear? (Please answer I actually want your opinion on that question)

This is taken directly from deadbydaylight.com
    "Stealth, smarts and discretion is key if you’re playing as a Survivor. You see the world in third-person and have the advantage of a wider field of view. If you don’t fear an adrenaline rush when the Killer walks right by as you hide in the grass – Survivor is your pick"

Man, this isn't even the case at all. This game hardly supports stealthed play, and it's sad. I want less viability to 5 minute chases, harder chases but easier ways to escape. If you think about it: The Easiest way to play survivor right now is to run around a piece of wood until its broken and you get time to run to another one. What even.........................................

Maybe the OP is right when this game supports stealth and not so chased-based. But as it stands, she's put on the pedestal because of the current nature of the game.

• SadonicShadow

@Brady The best fun i have in this game is when its a purely skill based interaction between myself and the survivors. No mindless pallet looping, crutchburst, D strike or any of all that other time wasting and second chance non sense. I LOVE mindgames. I love trying to read a survivor and predict where they will go. My skill at mind games vs them. If a survivor outplays me through mind games i do not feel like i was robbed, or cheated. I say to myself that was a good survivor and win or lose that chase it was a good experience and we both learn something. The most satisfying feeling is downing a survivor after outplaying them. It makes me feel better as a killer and i learn how to play better as a survivor. If 100% of the game was about skillful mind games instead of looping boring pallets and wasting a killers time and energy by making him eat plywood and D strikes this game would be amazing and i hope that is the direction it will take. Any fool can loop a pallet but a truly good survivor knows how to do mind game using LOS blockers and avoid detection.

• The_Manlet

@Brady said:

@The_Manlet said:

Of course not. The level of viability 1vs1 is at is insane. Like I said: You should be outplayed by the survivor, not outran. AKA jukes and stealth. Which is why I like the Nurse: She's the worst killer when it comes to stealthy plays. Have you ever noticed the best-skilled survivors are the ones that break LoS and just randomly disappear? (Please answer I actually want your opinion on that question)

"Stealth, smarts and discretion is key if you’re playing as a Survivor. You see the world in third-person and have the advantage of a wider field of view. If you don’t fear an adrenaline rush when the Killer walks right by as you hide in the grass – Survivor is your pick"

Man, this isn't even the case at all. This game hardly supports stealthed play, and it's sad. I want less viability to 5 minute chases, harder chases but easier ways to escape. If you think about it: The Easiest way to play survivor right now is to run around a piece of wood until its broken and you get time to run to another one. What even.........................................

Maybe the OP is right when this game supports stealth and not so chased-based. But as it stands, she's put on the pedestal because of the current nature of the game.

I agree completely that the game would be better if survivors went down pretty quickly unless they outplayed and lost the killer, but the devs have been making stealth worse and worse with perks like BBQ, killers like the Doctor and Freddy, and the scoring and ranking systems which don't reward stealth. Feels like a monumental task, to turn the game into a stealth game.

• SadonicShadow
    edited June 2018

@The_Manlet said:

@Brady said:

@The_Manlet said:

I agree completely that the game would be better if survivors went down pretty quickly unless they outplayed and lost the killer, but the devs have been making stealth worse and worse with perks like BBQ, killers like the Doctor and Freddy, and the scoring and ranking systems which don't reward stealth. Feels like a monumental task, to turn the game into a stealth game.

It would be a monumental task but if the devs care anything about making DBD back into what it was supposed to be they have to do it. I would take anything to have survivors rely on out playing me with mind games and not out running me. Pallets are probably the most annoying thing for me to deal with on top of second chance perks and pallets are also what hardcounters literally all but two killers. If they could remove pallets and rework the gameplay to heavily encourage stealth and using mind games to lose the killer it would be a great experience to be both the hunter and the hunted. There would actually be a feeling of tension in the air as the killer grows close because knowing that the only thing that can save you from the killer is being able to outsmart him not outrun him would be an amazing feeling. Removing pallets would require a pretty massive overhaul however to make it work but i think with heavy buffs to stealth play and reworking the killers tracking perks to fit this new gameplay it would be a much more rewarding and fun experience. At that point the lines between what makes a good killer and good survivor is not how many pallets you can loop or tear through but at how well you are at hunting your prey and mind gaming them and likewise how good you are at avoiding the killer and using LOS blockers to your advantage.

• Tsulan
    Tsulan Member Posts: 15,095

@Shadowchao121 said:

2 Hours? 2 HOURS?!
    I´ll juke every 50 hour nurse for 5 gens without looping, without breaking a sweat.
    Try to play her on mid ranks against decent survivors which won´t run in a straight line. You´re in for some bullying. Newbie nurses get bullied a lot.

• The_Manlet
    edited June 2018

I used to be pretty good with the Nurse, but I barely played the game in 2017 and they changed so much regarding how she works. She can even blink upstairs now.

• RepliCant

@The_Manlet said:

@Brady said:

@The_Manlet said:

Copied from the Official Deadbydaylight.com itself:

"Stealth, smarts and discretion is key if you’re playing as a Survivor. You see the world in third-person and have the advantage of a wider field of view. If you don’t fear an adrenaline rush when the Killer walks right by as you hide in the grass – Survivor is your pick."

IRONIC.

• White_Owl
    White_Owl Member Posts: 3,786
    edited June 2018

A long time ago I mastered the Nurse (but I admit I'm now very rusty with her). I can say she is not hard as people say. Sure she needs practice to get the timing and the distance, but once you get used to her blinks you don't need much strategy or mindgames as other killers for the simple fact that her ability is so powerful. She only needs a bit of prediction (on a similar level of the Huntress), but overall she is very straight forward.
    I also think she has almost "crutch" mechanics like 3+ blinks that allows her to make mistakes and correct them, and sometimes misuses of her ability ends in undeserved hits.

Honestly I find killers like the Trapper or the Hag harder to master.

• Shadowchao121
    edited June 2018

@White_Owl said:
    A long time ago I mastered the Nurse (but I admit I'm now very rusty with her). I can say she is not hard as people say. Sure she needs practice to get the timing and the distance, but once you get used to her blinks you don't need much strategy or mindgames as other killers for the simple fact that her ability is so powerful. She only needs a bit of prediction (on a similar level of the Huntress), but overall she is very straight forward.
    I also think she has almost "crutch" mechanics like 3+ blinks that allows her to make mistakes and correct them, and sometimes misuses of her ability ends in undeserved hits.

Honestly I find killers like the Trapper or the Hag harder to master.

^That's what i'm talking about. it's hard, but not some impossible task that only 50 people can accomplish. When i say the whole "2 hours" thing look at what i said. Not that they "Will" Do fine but that they "Can" do fine