The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

How Would You Want A Flying Killer To Work?

I know it's unlikely due to indoor maps being a large obstacle for a power based on vertical movement, but how would you like to see a killer who flies implemented? I've seen a bunch of people talk about the concept over the years, and would like to see what people think!

Comments

• csandman1977
    csandman1977 Member Posts: 2,358

Billy used to fly. Wish i played back then. Looked alot more fun

• JPLongstreet
    JPLongstreet Member Posts: 5,740

The only design I can see would be a really obese vampire who just barely clears pallets, and would consider door frames op

• Kira4Evr
    Kira4Evr Member Posts: 2,025
    edited October 2021

Hmm, a flying killer? Oh I know, the killer should be able to teleport through walls xd

• I_am_Negan
    I_am_Negan Member Posts: 3,756

With a glider🙂

• DwarvenTavern
    DwarvenTavern Member Posts: 2,495

A friend of mine said that it should be like Demogorgon's lunge, far lunge distance and they can fly through vaults without any slowdown.

But to compensate for this when they collide with a wall it would be a lengthy recovery.

• CrimsonMothKing
    CrimsonMothKing Member Posts: 413

The devs in a Q&A a while back said that they did try a flying killer, but they decided against adding it into the game because of how broken it was. And it wasn't because of indoor maps as at the time there weren't any, it was because the killer could avoid almost every single tile, it could fly over pallets and windows, it could basically always Bee line straight for a survivor, better than the nurse could.

But if a 'Flying' killer was added to the game, it would most likely 'fly' in a cosmetic sense, where it would look like it's flying by lifting slightly off the ground, but it would only get a movement speed increase and not much else. This is how I see BEhaviour making a flying killer, considering what their definition of a monster killer is.

• R2k
    R2k Member Posts: 1,069

Only possible flying killer without being broken is mix of Oni+Huntress+wings. What I mean is once killer gathered enough energy he can fly for a while but can only fire with limited ammo so he needs to reload and can't m1 with additional downside that he can't be faster than 120%. And once his power goes off he is basic m1 killer.

• SonicOffline
    SonicOffline Member Posts: 917

ngl this would be pretty neat. Just let the glider hover over the floor, and when he moves it comes up to waste high and he squats down. He can throw bombs at people at a downward-ish angle.

• Gwinty
    Gwinty Member Posts: 981

Well...we already got a fyling Killer with air-Hillbilly don't we? o.o

Now serious I think a flying Killer would be a bit too much for the game to handle right now because indoor maps would render its power pretty much useless. I guess that if they ever did a Killer with this kind of ability if would be a Killer with the ability to turn into dust or fog and then move upwards or downwards at will, maybe applying hindred or something like that to survivors it touches.

Imagin Spirit who dissolves into Clowns gas and comes back to the ground when the power ends, entering a gliding down state. However I see problems with the implimentation. Our they could try to implement it like Overwatch did with Pharah, more of a "jumping and feathering" that a real "flying" ability.

• Karma_Susui
    Karma_Susui Member Posts: 17

By not having them in the game lmao. But on a serious note that does seem interesting.

• Tr1nity
    Tr1nity Member Posts: 5,047

At all, I dont want my PC to explode to lag

• Anara
    Anara Member Posts: 1,297

The Fly

I would love a collaboration with this movie

• Viamont
    Viamont Member Posts: 304

Make her work like the banshee from prophunt. When she activates her power you can look up and she moves in the direction shes facing. And indoors maps wouldnt be as much as a problem. The watever flying killer power could speed it up wich would work as a diferent type of high mobility killer, perhaps with the unique ability to lung while midflight making it a very interesting anti pallet killer, on the other hand flashlights could create the unique efect on it to make it drop hard on the ground midflight, like in monster hunter when you use a flashbomb on fliying monsters, they drop hard and get stunned for extra time, i tink that would make it a very interesting idea to play with

• BenZ0
    BenZ0 Member Posts: 4,125
    edited October 2021

I made back then a killer concept with a killer that could fly. My idea was to use the fly just as mobility and a view on top and then the killer would charge a slam to the ground that has a roughly 8 meter range around him. But ofc the slam charges up slowly and indicates on the ground where the killer is gonna land to give the survivor a chance to dodge.

Post edited by BenZ0 on
  • xmenfanatic
    xmenfanatic Member Posts: 816
    edited October 2021

This is my concept I'm making up right now, lol

VAMPIRE KILLER WITH CLAWED WINGS and a Paralyzing Hypnosis

The flight killer needs a ranged attack that effects an area, or pin point on one survivor

FLIGHT POWER

• Going from Grounded to Levitation and Levitation to Flight is near instant ( 1 second), but going from flight to grounded or levitation to grounded takes a few seconds (2-4)
    • You can't harm survivors in flight mode with wings since you are using them to levitate/fly.
    • Flight is limited to being only at tall as the buildings/stories, and only levitation is possible indoors
    • levitation allows you to ignore certain terrain like fallen pallets, but you can be knocked out of levitation if hit by a fallen pallet.
    • Flashlights and Mirrors can stun killer or bring them to grounded mode.
    • Killer can only harm one survivor at a time when grounded
    • The grounding process takes time too, but does an area attack around killer when landing
    • The killer would move faster in flight/levitate mode, but move MUCH slower when grounded.

PRIMARY POWER: Ranged Area Attack, effects everyone in circle of affect.

• 2-3 meters of a circle area are affected by ranged power
    • It doesn't allow you to aim it too close to you, and must be at at a minimum distance, maybe 8-12 meters?
    • immobilization is the base kit for this attack, but it could can cause damage with an add on.

SECONDARY POWER: Paralytic Gaze Beam, effects a single survivor.

• It's stronger with a higher vantage point because of sight, but still useful when grounded.
    • Killers need "eye contact"/a consistent gaze like Ghost Face needs to expose someone
    • This power doesn't expose them, but immobilizes them
    • Flight immobilization is stronger to give the killer time to travel and disembark/land.
    • survivors experience hinderance after breaking from from immobilization based on if the killer has a longer view of survivor

MIRROR ITEM: only present when this Killer is played

• There is a new item, the mirror, that random appears in places on the map
    • Only 2-3 are present on a map at a time depending on # of survivors. 3 for 4 survivors, 2 for 3-1 survivors.
    • This item doesn't allow you to hold another item
    • Mirror can us used to break the paralytic gaze beam of the killer when another survivor is captured
    • You can use the mirror to protect yourself too, but if you do it shatters and you seek out another that appears randomly on the map.
    • Flashlights and new mirror item can hinder or even stun killer in flight mode, but not when grounded.
    • There are mirrors around the map that serve as an item

• TacitusKilgore
    TacitusKilgore Member Posts: 1,380

Whenever i think of a flying killer, i always thought of a highly emaciated vampire than can barely get itself off the ground with its wings. Could be used like demos lung, float up into the air and lunge far over any object, regardless of height.

• xmenfanatic
    xmenfanatic Member Posts: 816

I couldn't dig Green Goblin, but Hobgoblin would seem fitting :D

• Sonzaishinai
    Sonzaishinai Member Posts: 7,976
    edited October 2021

Something like Oni or Plague. Where his flight is earned in someway and has a set duration but is really impactfull

• Ghouled_Mojo
    Ghouled_Mojo Member Posts: 2,287

Give me a beholder from DND. Lol.

• blue4zion
    blue4zion Member Posts: 2,773

I had a thought for some killer as a secondary ability could fly up directly from his position, can't move but has free camera movement. Can target and slam down onto any survivors close enough, as well as pallets to break em.

• SMitchell8
    SMitchell8 Member Posts: 3,302

You could have a killer that doesn't fly technically, but does allow the killer to get a temporary birds eye view of the map to spot survivors/gens etc. Think flying isn't going to happen though

• lemonsway
    lemonsway Member Posts: 1,169

They'll never do a flying killer, the height advantage in terms of locating survivors would be too good. You'd be able to see so much further and so much above objects, you'd locate Survivors too easily.

I'd rather have a killer that could walk on walls/ceilings. DbD had the perfect opportunity to do that with a Licker for the RE Chapter but nah let's gut Nemesis character and slap him in DbD along with a Map the size of the planet earth but then give it 2 floors and make it the size of Saturn or Jupiter and then proceed to have the Map disabled a bunch of times in a row.

• Kurri
    Kurri Member Posts: 1,599

That would be cool. So cool that you have to look up to see it above you, but you can see it over the horizon farther across the map. The Killer have a dive attack mechanic so you can see it diving on other survivors in the distance, and when it's you - you don't even see it coming till you hear a shuddering screech over your head to look up in time to watch a bird fly into your face.

• TheDuhJ
    TheDuhJ Member Posts: 475

Idk about flying, but like a wall running killer I think would be bad ass. Like running up the main building of Coal Tower to run in through that hole in the wall. Or running up the side of any hill mound. Oh I would love that so much

• Rancid_Discharge
    Rancid_Discharge Applicant Posts: 193

That's a great question because I actually don't want a flying killer

• White_Owl
    White_Owl Member Posts: 3,786

The only way I could see a flying killer work in this game is if he could shrink himself, maybe by transforming into a crow (now that I wrote it, I think it would be awsome)

• Xyvielia
    Xyvielia Member Posts: 2,415

Flying killers would mostly work by transporting survivors between realms (in the air, obvz) and maybe Spirit or Trickster could be the flight attendants or sth, idk haven’t thought that far ahead yet 🤷🏼‍♀️ but sth like that would probably pay pretty decent.

• UnknownKiller
    UnknownKiller Member Posts: 3,024

Maybe not flying but jumping and making an tremor that injure surv.

• UnknownKiller
    UnknownKiller Member Posts: 3,024

Maybe a crow pet that he can use to mark surv position.Somehow like the eagle of Assasins creek.