We are investigating an issue in the game that causes strobing/flashing lights, and are focused on fixing it as soon as possible. Some players may be impacted by this issue and experience discomfort from it, so we recommend taking proper precautions.

And until we fix this issue, we recommend that players with photosensitivity, or who have an epileptic condition or have had seizures of any kind consult their physician before playing.

Survivors died countless times. How do they not stop being afraid?

Options
Anniehere
Anniehere Member Posts: 1,254

I don't really know about the entity's realm but i see this realm as life after death, the life beyond.

In real life i believe in life after death and also believe that in that place there is really no time. anything can happen forever there.

If the entity is a parallel universe similar to this, and the survivors are there for "years", died countless times and saw terrifying killers and suffered any kind of pain,

How is it possible that they are not scared of the killers or death anymore?

Eventually we stop being afraid of something we were very afraid of, it could even be fear of a kitchen knife.

I imagine the characters like Laurie Kate, Cheryl face their enemy boldly while not feeling scared to see them anymore.

Do you have an explanation for this or another thought on the subject?

Comments

• Anniehere
    Anniehere Member Posts: 1,254
    Options

The story has no depth if there's not a coincidence that one of them remembers something.

• AnObserver
    AnObserver Member Posts: 747
    Options

IMO could be a combination of:

• nearly perfect Memory wipe.
    • Multiverse leaning heavily into the infinite aspect.
    • Players are only viewing a sub-set of the Trials/The Player view is not linear with the "timeline" of The Entity's realm.

But it could be other things.

• Tr1nity
    Tr1nity Member Posts: 5,048
    edited October 2021
    Options

Tell me the last time you saw a survivor afraid? They find 2 good loops and are now searching for the killers blood.

• ElusivePukka
    ElusivePukka Member Posts: 1,599
    Options

Only the survivors that 'die' get the memory wipe. Those that escape can tell each other what happened - and by canon, a little bit is missing every time.

• Predated
    Predated Member Posts: 2,849
    Options

I mean, how are they afraid exactly? I have yet to see a survivor be super terrified in-game(not the players, the character models). The only time you even see survivor character models afraid is during Mori's and other forms of instakills, which is easily explainable by them not being removed from the realm through normal means, meaning they never remember such a thing.

• Dito175
    Dito175 Member Posts: 1,391
    Options

The realm is more like a dimesion rather than an afterlife.

I think they are still afraid, but since they got used to dying so much their fear now is pain rather than death.

( I'm not couting with the memory wipe thing, it contradicts a lot with old lore so i don't acknowledge it)

• Gruo
    Gruo Member Posts: 129
    Options

Canonically survivors lose a little bit of their soul with each death. When they lose all hope, they become useless to the Entity and it put them in the void. Any survivors that is mortally wounded and 'die' during a trail or after escaping will be revived by the Entity, but it also erases their memories clean and relocate them back to the campfire.

• Miles
    Miles Member Posts: 461
    Options

didnt benedict baker kinda die a couple of times in his entries?

Anyway, i was pretty sure they do stop geting afraid, or rather, stop having hope. When that happens, void.

• Seiko300
    Seiko300 Member Posts: 1,862
    edited October 2021
    Options

This ^

Also survivors do stop being afraid. When that happens, they are discarded as they are no longer sources of powerful emotions that the entity can draw from.

The survivors we play as are unique, since they in particular seem to have stronger wills than others who wind up in the entity's realm. A stronger sense of hope, motivation, resourcefulness, or a combination of the three that keeps them going probably longer than most.

Or like how AnObserver mentioned, we're playing as Survivors who have already lost their hope and Dead by Daylight is just an endless story of the infinite trials they were subject to before they finally gave in. Ironically enough, this is probably seen / read by the Observer, who is always looking for an escape while he's locked away. The trials we play through have already happened, and the Observer is just watching the playback, searching (perhaps in vain) for a secret answer, or a clue, that will free him from his imprisonment.

No definitive answer, although many different answers fit. I guess you could say it's up to interpretation almost.

• gcardoso
    gcardoso Member Posts: 35
    Options

since its a realme isnt possible for them to go out ?

• slendermansmoom
    slendermansmoom Member Posts: 544
    Options

in the lore the entity wipes their memory after every trial

• slendermansmoom
    slendermansmoom Member Posts: 544
    Options

ace never ever frowns in the game even while being mori'd

• Saitamfed
    Saitamfed Member Posts: 1,621
    edited November 2021
    Options

Supposedly the entity wipes their memoy but then survivors couldn't get broken and get released to the Void if this were the case... the only thing that coems to mind is if they do have remember the feeling of it, like Furude Rika from Higurashi no Naku koro ni... she doesn't remember her death but feels the pain of it.