We are investigating an issue in the game that causes strobing/flashing lights, and are focused on fixing it as soon as possible. Some players may be impacted by this issue and experience discomfort from it, so we recommend taking proper precautions.

And until we fix this issue, we recommend that players with photosensitivity, or who have an epileptic condition or have had seizures of any kind consult their physician before playing.

What do you think is the explanation behind Demo's Different cosmetics?

Options
Bennett_They1Them
Bennett_They1Them Member Posts: 2,513

🤔

this may or may not be a ploy to get free cosmetics.

emphasis on "may".

Comments

• Gruo
    Gruo Member Posts: 129
    Options

Devs mentioned cosmetics are not canon. The only canon skins are the default and the killers blighted skins because it canonically connects to Blight lore.

• Tr1nity
    Tr1nity Member Posts: 5,048
    Options

It did not work. However I do thank the mods for sending out the codes. Free stuff is always appreciated.

• AnObserver
    AnObserver Member Posts: 747
    Options

I find that poor worldbuilding with the scale of IP's that they are attempting to access.

Literally just make The Entity a multiversal being on an infinite scale that can try to reach into other Universes. And the Cosmetics simply become permutations of the archetype of a being The Entity has either grown a taste for, or that has imprinted itself into The Entity.

• Bennett_They1Them
    Bennett_They1Them Member Posts: 2,513
    Options

yeah. I guess that attempt was a bit transparent on my part! :P

but, for sure, free stuff is nice.

• Dito175
    Dito175 Member Posts: 1,391
    Options

I kinda prefer the way it is, some cosmetics are pretty risiculous so for me it would take away the cosmic horror and turn it into a bloody fashion show.

• AnObserver
    Options

I mean, most cosmetics are simply put in for Players to flaunt "fashion" regardless (or to flaunt prestige).

Anyway, how does upping the threat level of the Entity to a multiversal cosmic force cut down on the cosmic horror aspect?

• Dito175
    Options

The idead is just not for me, having mutiple versions of the same person for me it's a boring worldbuilding and story progression, i'd rather have millions of different survivors trapped instead thousands of versions of the same person.

• AnObserver
    Options

I mean, it's millions of different survivors ontop of the millions of their "versions", so it's both, on an absolutely massive scale. There's the tried and true Survivors/Killers that are more common, and then there's "Fresh meat" that The Entity tries out but may not anchor onto.

Lorewise the Trials that Players play are only a subset of the Trials that are going on. There's millions of other Trails happening with distinct Survivors/Killers that are unknown to the Player in addition to the millions of other "variants" of those Survivors.

Keep in mind this is also attempting to create a lore-friendly reason for there to be 4 Bills in the same lobby.

• Dito175
    Options

I think we can agree to disagree, for me it's not an interesting concept but i can see why a lot of people might like it.

• AnObserver
    Options

Fair enough, it's leaning more into Existential Horror mixed with Cosmic Horror with that approach.

• Seiko300
    Seiko300 Member Posts: 1,862
    Options

I believe this (second paragraph at least) more than I do the "cosmetics are not canon" argument. I truly don't remember when the devs ever claimed this, and it is especially weird to hear when cosmetics are like 70% of the character building in Dead by Daylight. The personalities of the characters are built through their wardrobe, especially since many characters don't have additional tome lore and only have what they were given on release.

Take Ace Visconti for example. His lore is LITERALLY a paragraph long, and his lore- I guess while slightly insightful and informing about his character (the kind of guy who gets himself into nasty situations, digs himself deeper into trouble all the time, yet still consistently has the luck to get out of it), ultimately isn't all that significant in developing his character further with new revelations or information.

Everything we know about Ace is mostly about is personality: a relentlessly optimistic gambler who is willing to bet on nearly any situation, and is lucky enough to come away smiling in most instances. But in reality we've really got no (or very little) idea about his background except that he was born poor, and "scammed, seduced, and smooth talked his way to a life of luxury."

But with his cosmetics we get a much more clearer picture of who Ace is. It's very clear that Ace looses just as much money as quickly as he earns it. In these times of low gains, Ace is savvy and perceptive, creative in his solutions to solving the issue of having no money: in his Hotel Deceit outfit he had to dress as a waiter and serve wealthy patrons for a paycheck, in his Broke Fisherman outfit- he gathers enough ramshackle equipment for the chance to make "one rare catch" of a fish so expensive it could pay off his debt.

We know that he's something of a wanderer, bouncing between places and wherever opportunity calls: in the Seasoned Gambler outfit we see he takes his talents internationally equipping himself in a "semi-traditional, stylish [attire] for Ace to join in the most exclusive [poker] tables" in China during the Lunar New Year. In his Ace Vegas outfit, after a run of bad luck "Ace returns to his gambling mecca: Las Vegas" to get his luck back. Ace being so worldly is also supported by his Flying Ace outfit, which implies that Ace is also a capable pilot- which makes sense given that he's "racked up too many debts with the wrong kind of people" being able to fly a plane seems pretty useful if you're always on the run from debt collectors. As a result of his worldliness, we can also reasonably assume that Ace is actually a Polyglot (can speak multiple languages) given he's from Argentina, lives in the US (or at least has been in the US), and has visited China. Meaning he can speak at least Spanish, English, and Mandarin- and his being multilingual easily fits into his street smart intelligence, as well as his renowned silver tongue and charming personality.

And before anybody says "just because he's been there doesn't mean he speaks the languages" I'll interrupt that right now by reminding that Ace is a poker player (information, which funnily enough is only deliberately mentioned in a single time in his Winter Wisecracks outfit). If you've never played it, poker is an incredibly social game and requires not only some pretty intense knowledge of the mechanics of a card deck, chance + probability, etc. but just as important people skills and insight into human tendency / behavior. If Ace couldn't speak or understand these languages, he probably wouldn't have as much success as he does gambling in different countries, so I reaffirm that Ace is a Polyglot based on this lore which is only provided by cosmetics.

But ALL of this disappears the instant you utter phrase "Cosmetics are not canon" and we completely lose out on that concrete image of who Ace is, and we're left with the meager information that is provided in his paragraph long lore, and a meh-at-best tome story.

I think if this was ever said, it was because the devs didn't want to bother with differentiating which cosmetics are canon and which aren't, and this absolves them from ever making any mistakes or contradicting themselves between what is canon and what isn't or creating cosmetics that aren't truly representative of the character and out of line with their personality.

Which is why I sigh at this point because cosmetic lore is incredibly valuable to the personalities and overall story of the characters. I refer back to my previously written example of Ace Visconti to support this.

• Dito175
    Options

I think the last paragraph is pretty much their reasoning, i think it's pretty lazy on their behalf since it's pretty easy to discern what skins are canon, at least on the killers side.

• Seiko300
    Seiko300 Member Posts: 1,862
    Options