Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

The Cheating Issues Will Continue to Hamper Player Fun until BHVR Takes Action

Pulsar
Pulsar Member Posts: 20,775
edited November 2021 in General Discussions

Greetings all.

I'm doing one of these again, because I feel that the current cheater issue in DBD warrants it. I'm finding more and more cheaters and I know many content creators are as well. This negatively impacts all of us and BHVR's silence on the issue is not only disappointing, it's harmful.

Allow me to explain. DBD has always had cheaters. It had them when I played my very first match in early 2018 and it'll have them long after I stop playing, this is just a fact of online multiplayer games. The issue is that, over the last year, cheaters themselves have become far more prevalent. Nobody cares if there's a flying Dwight every 1 out of 100 games. The issue occurs when there are multiple hackers in 1 out of every 5 games.

Currently, due to the nature of the MMR system, hackers will naturally float to the upper end of MMR. This allows them to easily and efficiently target popular players/streamers. There are cheats that allow them to stream snipe reliably. Likewise, there are cheats that allow them to access Crossplay OFF lobbies as shown in the following two clips. Only the Dwight was cheating in the first clip, the others had no idea until he finished the gens in 5 seconds.

Most recently, there was a security flaw discovered that allowed people to grab IP's, doxx, DDoS and swat people. This is dangerous and can affect people IRL, possibly even getting them killed over a video game. Hackers are able to access private and sensitive information because of a security flaw. It was only a matter of time, we saw posts like this back in July, where hackers could access client-side information

All of this because BHVR doesn't seem capable of securing their game. It's absolutely unacceptable that they haven't released some sort of statement to address the hacking issues and it's absolutely disgusting that they haven't warned players about the security breach. We need to talk and spread awareness about this issue so that BHVR fixes it AND so that we can warn other players in the Fog.

Thank you.

Post edited by Pulsar on

Comments

• Jago
    Jago Member Posts: 1,742

How can you betray the fps thread.

• WesCravenFan
    WesCravenFan Member Posts: 2,638

I agree. That is more than enough time, but then I have been saying for months the game needs a hard time limit.

• Nathan13
    Nathan13 Member Posts: 6,697

I played a match the other day with just 2 survivors and there were 2 killers. Sounds like a lot of people have experienced this.

• lavars
    lavars Member Posts: 312

I just wait to the day hackers can hijack accounts to a degree where they can disable your DLC or something.

• GeneralV
    GeneralV Member Posts: 10,524

Now it is a good time to be out of the Fog, to be honest.

I haven't faced a hacker since that one Cheryl on Badham Preschool, but it didn't come anywhere close to this.

• DieGräfin
    DieGräfin Member Posts: 227

My last cheater was a porting huntress with infinity hatches. PC gamers should be among themselves. Exclude PC players from crossplay and done 👌

• UnknownKiller
    UnknownKiller Member Posts: 3,024

Guess how many post we need to actually make em do something?

With hackers and new games coming they are digging their own tomb *F13th flashbacks*

• awustzdn
    awustzdn Member Posts: 317

Let's see if we can get this thread to be as thicc yet ignored as the performance one.

No, the replies from powerless forum moderators do not count, as they can't do anything to fix the problems.

• Pulsar

It is a IRL version of "There is no war in Ba Sing Se."

Everyone knows there's a problem, but BHVR seems to think if they ignore it it'll go away.

• Pulsar

I agree. Not only miserable, but actually in danger of having their info stolen.

• IronKnight55
    IronKnight55 Member Posts: 2,932

I've only seen like 2-3 hackers in months.

• Anniehere
    Anniehere Member Posts: 1,263
    edited November 2021

BHVR not addressing DDOS reports and cheating for several months, i will not be surprised if one day this game will run with hackers only.

• Pulsar
  • Pulsar

Well, the point of my other thread was to spread awareness and I'd like this to do the same.

But stay on-topic please.

• Tatariu
    Tatariu Member Posts: 3,068

Ah #########, here we go again.

• Pulsar
    edited November 2021

Indeed.

I figured this topic was more important and certainly needed.

• PigMainBigBrain
    PigMainBigBrain Member Posts: 1,893

I fully expect this thread to go on for at least 3-6 months and have at least 20 pages before they finally do something.

• Kurri
    Kurri Member Posts: 1,599
  • bm33
    bm33 Member Posts: 8,157

I had a match on ps4 crossplay off where I was playing killer during Halloween event. I was just going around kicking pumpkins while the survivors quickly finished gens. Was letting them all go but one apparently wanted to show me they were hacking. I had NOED on my killer that was active. I was going to hit the survivor and carry them out the exit because they were just standing over pumpkin clicking their flashlight. I hit them, they screamed, body disappeared and when I turned around they were standing behind me clicking their flashlight. I followed them to exit gate, hit them again in the exit, they went down and when I went to pick them up they slid across ground past the exit. Like, why go out of you way to show you are hacking at end of match? What's the point? I recorded and reported because while I wasn't trying in that match it would suck for the person that does try.

I've noticed a ton of subtle hacks over the last year - killers/survivors moving faster than they should with nothing to increase speed, killers finding survivors that there's no way they should know the survivor is there, Bubba that could instantly chainsaw without revving at all, seeing survivor teammates somehow picking themselves up multiple times even though they are only running Unbreakable, etc. They went from pretty subtle of "did I imagine that" to "there's no way that should happen."

The hackers have obviously been upping the stakes the more BHVR ignores the issue. It was subtle hacks, then more blatant hacks, then specifically targeting DBD streamers with the blatant hacks, to now DDOS and swatting.

With the DDOS issue I'm taking a break until BHVR actually address it through their own channels (i.e. in game news and social media accounts) not some comment at end of some random article from news source few people would look at. I know you run the risk of hackers and DDOS if you play any multi-player game, however with how bad the hacker issue has become in DBD the risk is much higher right now. The risk of DDOS (or worse) is not worth it, especially when the game on it's own doesn't even run well on ps4.

• bm33
    bm33 Member Posts: 8,157

The situation with Elix could've very easily turned into a tragedy. Yeah, it's cool the cop was also a DBD player... but what if he wasn't? What if the wrong pair of cops had shown up?

I'm all about fixing performance issues BUT the worst thing that could possibly happen from performance issue is they overheat and kill my console, the hackers can do far worse.

• Pulsar

Yes. Being held hostage and forced to DC is always a wonderful experience, isn't it?

• Alphasoul05
    Alphasoul05 Member Posts: 601
    edited November 2021

Cheaters get to high MMR, which according to statistics, are the people BHVR care the least about. Same reason why they haven't said anything about the DDOS issue, because it really only is relevant to streamers, who they equally don't care about. I mean one of their own fog whisperers who it actually does effect even complained.

• JPLongstreet
    JPLongstreet Member Posts: 5,750

If you're referring to his Console performance uberthread I noticed the title too, but given the seriousness of this subject I let it go.

• Nathan13
    Nathan13 Member Posts: 6,697

It’s gotten so bad, I can’t play like the game this way.

• Pulsar

I figure this is as good a reason as any to make a sequel thread.

• SweetTerror
    SweetTerror Member Posts: 2,695

What I don't get, is how could Behavior think that providing a link to an interview is enough to win over their player base? You want to speak to the press first? Fine, but have the decency to address your player base too.

I like dead by daylight, I really do, but god do I have trouble supporting Behavior as a whole. Bug ridden chapters, NFT debacles, and now DDOS swating. And this is all within a year!

• Beaburd
    Beaburd Member Posts: 998

Jokes aside, I'm pretty confident they only responded to Eurogamer because they were personally questioned by them about this issue against their will and they did not want to stay quiet in that front. They also then probably linked that here in a random un-pinned thread that's already disappeared off the front page to try and settle people down.

However, they're also not saying anything more because they aren't feeling 100% sure that it's an issue on their end yet.

The amount of DBD players that have been affected by it make it very likely, which is why they don't want to outright deny it. However the case is also serious enough to warrant a big PR and community trust hit if they acknowledge it - something they don't really want to do until they're sure.

And I kid you not, I actually bet they decided to take the weekend off before considering and tackling the issue more either way.

I think this way because they recently won a "best place to work in Canada" award a month ago, with a 94% employee approval rate. Pair that with their consistently whimsical nature in developer streams and interviews, and it's very obvious they lean hard into a friend-based workspace over a professional one.

---

That said, don't worry about it too much.

Despite the seeming self-centered nature of the company in regards to how it's viewed, their lacking transparency with its games health and security, their desire to maintain an overly whimsical and carefree employment culture, and their rather obvious money-focused company policies that lead to inconsiderate licensing deals (enabling NFT based on their work) and internal cosmetic-based bugs and release priorities, I'm sure they actually do put the customer as the highest importance.

They did put that at the forefront of their near-forced response to Eurogamer after all, even if not everyone saw it.

(Sorry, had to get one snarky joke in)

• Shaped
    Shaped Member Posts: 5,869

I think I will mix this thread up with the other one since the titles are similar.

I wonder If I'll be the first one.

• Swiftblade131
    Swiftblade131 Member Posts: 2,050

Nicely presented post

I think we should nerf pig based off this information

• Pulsar

Thank you.

And I agree, Pig is overperforming.

Actually, I wonder how much hacked lobbies affect the stats.

• DragonMasterDarren
    DragonMasterDarren Member Posts: 2,804

The only thing i regret about posting the reasons why i stopped playing is that i never mentioned the rampant cheating problem, and i honestly do not know why or how i forgot considering that it is probably one of the major reasons why people are leaving

Cheating was already a problem before MMR, but because of BHVR's infinite wisdom, high MMR players have to deal with some of the, quite frankly, awe-inspiring cheats that people can use, speedhacking and no-clip are nothing compared to some of the crap cheaters are capable of, and the reporting system doing the square root of jack ######### doesn't help either

• razvicool
    razvicool Member Posts: 54

Having taken a break from DBD for my other main game and life in general, I have to say I'm glad I kept my MMR medium. The game went from having the occasional cheater to being absolutely infested and I mean pests squeezing to death behind the walls infested. That's not even the ridiculous part. Any game could start being the victim of a new hack at any point. The ridiculous part is how long it takes for cheaters to get banned and how little of a priority it is for BHVR to change to a different Anti-Cheat system or make their own. I understand I can't say for sure what their priorities are or aren't, but realistically, it's been a long time since this infestation has been on the rise. Either way, the amount of time they are taking to solve an issue of this nature is indecent.

• DragonMasterDarren
    DragonMasterDarren Member Posts: 2,804

so it works *in theory* but in practice it does the square root of jack #########

most games do not require you to jump through hoops to report, they require you simply report the player, what they might be doing and then either a team or AI will check for anything suspicious and ban them accordingly, why BHVR can't do this is beyond me