Boons Are Killers Second Objective And That’s A Good Thing

Just like how survivors have to to bones for noed killers have to do bones for boons.

And dont comment killers have to worry about patrolling, loops, kicking gens, keeping pressure, hooking etc etc we don’t have time to do bones.

Cause I’ll comment survivors don’t have time to worry about 5 totems getting done we have to loop, do gens, unhook, heal, open gates etc etc

Comments

• dugman
    dugman Member Posts: 9,713

I don’t mind how Boons are snuffed and placed. They just need to make sure the individual Boon perks are balanced around that system. Circle of Healing is probably a bit too strong currently, for instance, so it could use a Healing speed adjustment. But that can be done without changing the overall placing and snuffing mechanics.

I also agree that a killer having a secondary objective is in principle a good thing, it makes the game more interesting. Again, though, the secondary objectives have to have their individual rewards balanced against the time it takes to achieve them. If finding and snuffing totems takes too much time away from the main objective of downing survivors then it’s not worth the effort. If it turned out that the time spent in general for snuffing an arbitrary Boon is too long then I would be ok with, say, making Boons louder so they’re easier to find and snuff in order to cut down that time spent doing it. I have no evidence one way or another, though, that snuffing totems takes too long or doesn’t.

• AnObserver
    AnObserver Member Posts: 747
    edited November 2021

I think they're a change to the monotony of how Killer usually "counter's" Perks. Zone-control requiring the Killer to move to the zone to snuff it. But I don't think it's a true secondary objective as it's not available to do at all times during The Trial.

With Dull Totems Survivors have the "secondary Objective" of denying NOED and getting BP, but Killers can't interact with Totems whatsoever unless a Survivor brings a Boon and uses it. So unless you hear the thunder, there is no reason whatsoever to care about Totems.

I'm not saying that is a bad thing (if it sounds like it), but I wouldn't classify it as a Secondary Objective. (at least compared to Totems in general).

• Sakurra
    Sakurra Member Posts: 1,046

So what about that?

• coolmacc
    coolmacc Member Posts: 70

Scott has gone over this on his YouTube about survivor and killer time I suggest watching it

• ReikoMori
    ReikoMori Member Posts: 3,333

Here is the issue though, if you're not a killer who uses totems very often, you're probably not going to find them in a worthwhile amount of time. It would be nice if killers could have a visual indication that they are in a zone effected by a boon totem because directional audio isn't the greatest in dbd.

• GannTM
    GannTM Member Posts: 10,869

I honestly am in the minority and think boons aren’t that problematic. Only nerf is like to see is COH lose self healing and it would be fine.

• asirirsprime
    asirirsprime Member Posts: 100

I'd nerf CoH to 2-3 health bars and make the self healing way longer

• StarLost
    StarLost Member Posts: 8,077

This is something I'm starting to realize as I play more - killer perks are very interactive. They have risks, counterplays and complexities and can change my playstyle up completely.

Survivor perks, with maybe 3 or 4 exceptions are very bland. They have almost no risks or decision making aspects to them.

It's why I really struggle to play much survivor, and while it's relaxing it can also feel like a chore.

• VikingDragonXii
    VikingDragonXii Member Posts: 2,885

If they did that then gens would have to take longer.

• Leatherface1990
    Leatherface1990 Member Posts: 718
    edited November 2021

Survivors have had infinite loops maps, infinite boons, stretch screen, bnp/flashlights, pallet city maps, comms+swf, unbreakable+DS+DH+B.T.. No challenge to play survivor well imho.

• Labrac
    Labrac Applicant Posts: 1,285
    edited November 2021

Yup. Boons right now are so good, and so much better than Hexes, that totems now feel like survivors' belongings instead of killers'. Killers have to sacrifice 1/4 of their build with Thrill/Haunted/Undying just trying to get use out of a hex perk, while survivors have to sacrifice only 1/16 or 2/16 out of their perks to get an immense value.

• Hex_Llama
    Hex_Llama Member Posts: 1,823

No one has to touch the totems if the don't want to. But the consequences are different. If you leave the totems alone as survivor, then there's a chance that the other team gets a buff in the last minutes of the match, and a chance that nothing happens. If you leave the boon totems as killer, the other team automatically gets a buff for the whole match.

I think the boon totems would be more balanced if they benefited the killer in some way, or if survivors had more of a risk/reward choice about using them. Currently, from the killer player's POV, hexes are just as easily destroyed as ever, and now there's another downside, too.

• DemonDaddy
    DemonDaddy Member Posts: 4,167

Killers can't do bones the effort is temporary, with boons in play its a never ending objective unlike a hex. Reason cleansing works with survivors is there are 4 players for 5 totems with the luxury of determining the length of the match.

• Raccoon
    Raccoon Member Posts: 7,696
    edited November 2021

Boons certainly make my gameplay decisions easier at high MMR.

"Boons go down, Tent goes up"

• Viamont
    Viamont Member Posts: 304

no to mention from the get go, the chiming sound the boons make its laguably soft, unless you are at least around 9 meters from them you arent going to heard them at all, hell, a half done generator sound easily eats the boons, lets not even add to the mix the grunts of survivors, atack sounds of killers or the chase music...boons arent easy to find at all unless you are actively looking for them combing the area

• Bennett_They1Them
    Bennett_They1Them Member Posts: 2,513

yeah.

I'm of the opinion that until the sound is fixed, you should be able to see their aura while within the aoe.

• ThiccBudhha
    ThiccBudhha Member Posts: 6,987

Not unless they have shadow step, otherwise, I could care less if they want to go and heal against a Leatherface.

• VikingDragonXii
    VikingDragonXii Member Posts: 2,885

Just make it like the scourge hook power of Pinhead. Once the killer is within 15m of them the aura is revealed to them, because half the time I cant hear them over the ambient sounds killers make. Have you heard how noisy Demo Puppy is when he is walking around.

When snuffing a Boon the totem should be broken in the process. As it stands right now the Artists new Hex is pointless because no one is breaking totems anymore.

• sadakiyo
    sadakiyo Member Posts: 281
    edited November 2021

they should be usable only one time without using them again and again

• ChurchofPig
    ChurchofPig Member Posts: 2,763

Because they think boons being ranged makes up for it, it really doesn't since survivors will run to their boon and then be fine in 3 seconds and go back to objectives.

• DangerScouse
    DangerScouse Member Posts: 989

Do Bones for killers is invalid because Boons can be re blessed. Pretty easy rebuttal to your argument.

• RoaderFrost
    RoaderFrost Member Posts: 170

Boons as "secondary Objective"?

Lore wise - it's Entity's realm, guess who's control over the trials must be all powerful... but for some reason it's not.

3-4 medkits + 2 boons = "ez gg".

There should be a hard limit on how many times boons are snuffed. And that limit must be punishing.

Like "when killer snuff boon totem, that totem is locked for 2 minutes".

Or "if killer snuff 4 totems, survivor trying to bless next one is instantly sacrificed near the end of the process". Some devious music should play last few seconds before process of blessings are completed (just an audio warning, the last chance to stop abusing the boons).

• Jago
    Jago Member Posts: 1,742

Bones. BONES for everyone ! Isnt that great ?

• Dennis_van_eijk
    Dennis_van_eijk Member Posts: 1,704

If you don't have time to do bones as survivor, then why are so many survivors calling for a secondary objective?

You don't have time to do bones, how are you gonna complete a new secondary objective then? 🤷🏼‍♂️

• mistar_z
    mistar_z Member Posts: 857

boons, or more specifically boon circle of healing is a terrible underthought mechanic. that just encourages more of the killer roster to camp and tunnel because COH stupidly destroys all of the m1 killers who's entire gameplay relies on them themselves being thing that slows down and keeps pressure on the survivors by spreading damage around and keeping pressure.

a decent enough hag requires her to be able to have multiple phantasm traps around the map to spread m1 damage, this encourages to hop from chase to chase to make the most of her power. now with 12 second healing on everyone and soon whatever boon unbreakable is called. doing that will actually lose her games, because the time it takes to make the traps and hop and cooldown for it then for her to hop onto another, is actually longer than the time it takes for the survivor to undo that damage.

this just encourages her to camp and tunnel the first person she downs, because with camping and tunneling it doesn't matter if the survivors keep healing themselves.

with twins this is even worse. because to play them you need to spread damage between charlotte and victor, so that you can down and shepard the survivor into either one of you. this is a big problem, when for half of that 12 seconds it takes to heal or pick yourself up, victor cannot do anything, you can't even switch over to charlotte during that whole cooldown. then once the 6 seconds are up, charlotte has to wake up from her idle state, get unslowed, then lumber her way over to the downed person which could take even more time.

if playing twins normally wasn't so bad this wouldn't be a big deal. but they have so many bad quality of life issues and jankiness that makes playing like that unviable and very inconsistent.

with the coh meta, twins simply just lazily fall back into camping and tunneling, something that they traggically are still fairly decent at doing.

• solidhex
    solidhex Member Posts: 889

You can't really compare that, just play killer on high level and then play survivor on high level. Killer games are constant stress and trying to make right decisions for 10 minutes while high level survivor play has some breaks in it where you just wait for a bar to fill up.

It's ok like that, it will never be any different because it's a 4v1, there are 2 roles for a reason for different gameplay experiences. But still it's not the same, killer is already stressful enough while there is only one survivor getting chased with 3 others chilling on gens or totems and healing...

• solidhex
    solidhex Member Posts: 889

sounds legit actually. Maybe make it so that snuffing them takes some seconds longer, like 5 or so, but then survivors can only use it once per match. This way it gets more skillful, survivors have to look out for good spots and not just the first totem they see (or the same one every time).

• danielmaster87
    danielmaster87 Member Posts: 9,122

Survivors needed a second objective, but instead the killers got one. This is a second objective done wrong. Survivors have to spend time to get boons, yes, but the benefits are so good it doesn't matter. It's like gens where you do them and they don't really get you anything. Boons are huge for the team. The killer has a lose-lose situation because of them, because if you snuff the boon, you've wasted time, and if you don't snuff, the team gets a boost all game.

• fogdonkey
    fogdonkey Member Posts: 1,567

More than 1 or 2 boons is actually counter productive for survivors IMO.