Why Do People Dislike SBMM?

2»

Comments

• Brokenbones
    Brokenbones Member Posts: 5,168

Seeing the same 5/6 players over and over again gets really boring

Anyone else have a similar experience? Where they keep seeing the same people over and over?

• MrPeanutbutter
    MrPeanutbutter Member Posts: 1,586

Same here. On the now-rare occasion that I suck it up and play killer during peak hours, there are so few killers that want to play against the large concentration of SWF sweat squads in the evening that I get matched with whoever. I usually end up dodging some of the lobbies because half the time I’ll load in to a full premade lobby who are already “ready” status because the previous killer also dodged their lobby.

SBMM during off-peak hours is much better

• SunaIIanu
    SunaIIanu Member Posts: 815

I looked at the your old posts and it seems like you missunderstood a Dev's comment about killer specific matchmaking (MMR) being disabled as the general killer matchmaking (emblem system) being disabled.

The emblem system was supposed to search for a match within 6 ranks of your own and would expand with wait time, so I don't think that it was disabled, it just worked as badly as it always did.

I've played since late 2017 and matchmaking for new killers (or new players in general) was always #########, so I'm not sure if MMR has really improved the situation, but since you can't see your MMR score it's hard to monitor it.

• BubbaDredge
    BubbaDredge Member Posts: 815

MMR won't bother you unless you play a lot. Killers reach high MMR too easily. Over the weekend I P3'd Nemesis from scratch. The game now considers me one of THE BEST KILLERS PLAYING. Seriously, none of you are so good you can't get matched with me, my 600 hours is equal to your thousands. Otz is my peer, according to MMR. We might collab.

Yesterday I lost more than I've ever lost before, every match was neon survivors with brand new parts, meta perks and healing totems. I fought all-Bills with toolboxes, I fought all-Steves with high-end flashlights, I fought so many Neas and Megs, SWFs were everywhere. I fought a team that used exploits on Dead Dog, who acted like it was a great accomplishment to cheat against a player that probably couldn't catch them anyway. Actually, every survivor acted that way. Cheering after they dunk on me like the ######### survivors are.

I got some kills, but it wasn't because of my skill, it was because of their mistakes. Apparently enough to keep me in the same weight class with the BEST PLAYERS IN THE GAME. Because that's where DBD places me, alongside and against THE BEST PLAYERS IN DBD!

Guess I'll try to figure out how to start streaming, start some channels and #########. Be sure to like and subscribe, I'm one of the BEST KILLLERS IN THE GAME.

• artist
    artist Member Posts: 1,519

the system is much too easily exploitable. i'd much rather get 8 hooks and let everyone escape so i consistently get high amounts of bloodpoints every game than kill people and risk varying amounts of bp against better teams.

the same goes for survivor. i can play my heart out up until endgame and just die to the collapse so my mmr goes down. that's not skill based matchmaking, that's cheesed based matchmaking.

• GentlemanFridge
    GentlemanFridge Member Posts: 5,598

When it first went live, it was great for me. Some really great and close matches.

Now? I get curbstomped and curbstomp myself harder than ever before. There's nothing in between anymore. Like, a game I just had was a god nurse versus a claud with 13 hours.

It just doesn't do anything anymore.

• StarLost
    StarLost Member Posts: 8,077

Yes - but here's the thing.

The winstreak was fun for the person winning.

Not so much for the people getting stomped into the pavement.

• gammatsunami
    gammatsunami Member Posts: 545
    edited November 2021

Its the same thing that killed cod for me.

I never get to see I am doing better, because I am constantly being put against better players. So it just feels like sweat mode 24/7

Id love to see the numbers on killers dropping out. I know my survivor queues are much longer.

• Alphasoul05
    Alphasoul05 Member Posts: 601

It makes killers tunnel and camp because 4 equally skilled survivors should always defeat an equally skilled killer, thus ruining the experience, bloodpoints, and overall enjoyment of everyone involved. They created this system and said "We know that basing it off of Escapes/Kills is terrible, so we have this poggers system" then proceeded to spend two years on a system that amounts to exactly what they said doesn't really work.

It's just made the game unfun for me on both sides of the fence.

• StarLost

What?

That's absurd.

If 4 equally skilled survivors should always defeat an equally skilled killer, that would mean that this game was immensely survivor favored.

What MMR should be doing, when it works correctly, is matching up killers with groups of survivors that they have an even chance of beating or being beaten by. Naturally, this is very difficult.

The famous '2k per game' is often misinterpreted as 'killers should kill 2 survivors every game and 2 should escape'. I thought about it that way for a long time.

What it actually means is that you should have as many 0-1 kill games as 3-4k games, as usually it's one of the two.

• RainehDaze
    RainehDaze Member Posts: 2,573

And because of snowball effects, you're probably getting more 0-1 and 3-4 than 2k's, unless that's a super clutch play.

Most 0-1k's don't feel very fun, as those are the matches that are most likely to be over with almost no hooks and really long chases. I'm not sure that's supposed to be fun for Survivors, given how non-interactive it is--are chases only fun if they're won?

• StarLost

Yes. I've actually been putting together a theory on this based on what Otz and a few others have said, and my own experiences.

I call it 'the Rule of 3'.

If you have a survivor dead before 3 gens are completed, it's almost always going to be your game to lose. Probably a 3-4k.

If you have no survivors dead before 3 gens are completed, it's their game to lose. Probably a 0-1k.

That's the snowball/escalating pressure of DbD.

The thing that MMR has done is give people used to significantly more of the former than the latter on the killer end of things (and vice versa) less matches against people of a way lower skill than them, meaning a loss will probably happen half the time.