Should SBMM be reverted?

Options
BenOfMilam
BenOfMilam Member Posts: 911

Like it says on the tin. I don't want to poison the well, but I personally think that although the old rank based matchmaking system was flawed, it was decisively more fun than MMR. I had a lot more fun as both killer and survivor with the old system, and I felt that I was consistently going against players of similar skill level.

With SBMM, it's pretty consistent for me to play exclusively against players far outside my skill level. It's either new players who have less than 100 hours in the game, or veterans with around 5k+ hours. I pretty much never play against other players that have around 1k hours like I do, so matches are either too easy or too hard.

I don't feel like I'm improving in terms of skill anymore since I can't get better by playing against bad players, and it's hard to understand what you did wrong against god gamers.

I'm actually on a hiatus from Dead by Daylight until SBMM is removed or reverted, since all the fun I was having in the game got completely sucked out.

What about you guys?

Should SBMM be reverted? 44 votes

Yes, SBMM has made DbD less fun for me
47%
Seiko300Blueberrypizzaduffyhp90musstang62Dinkle_De_EGeneralVFilthyLegionMainBenOfMilamFobboThr_ustInk_EyesChuckLitDropdeadPiggyHex_IgnoredPlsfix369Skittering_RoachDredgenWar237OverratedFoolTheBigGopherJonathanByers 21 votes
No, I think SBMM was a good change for DbD
29%
MiriamGidcYatoldugmanMaxFiGuyRoachesDelightFantasyThatOneDemoPlayerErron_mkxGRIG0jesterkindFauldsStang119 13 votes
I'm not sure/undecided
22%
TapeKnotHellraisingPredatorTatariuHannonlandromatImBrakingBikehilapastaHerachi_SakuraAurelle[Deleted User] 10 votes

Comments

• Clevite
    Clevite Member Posts: 4,335
    Options

Doesn't matter, it won't be

• BenOfMilam
    Options

You're honestly right, I'm just holding out hope.

• landromat
    landromat Member Posts: 2,193
    Options
    I'm not sure/undecided

Just nerf high mmr survivors and it's fine

• Aurelle
    Aurelle Member Posts: 3,611
    Options
    I'm not sure/undecided

I think that the MMR system needs some major improvements for it to actually work.

• BenOfMilam
    Options

The problem is that the game isn't fun in either role anymore. Get face camped and tunneled as a survivor, get outplayed and genrushed as killer, or have a baby killer that gives up and DCs in one minute, or have baby survivors run at you in a straight line and die. SBMM is a complete disaster and simply doesn't work at all.

• landromat
    landromat Member Posts: 2,193
    Options
    I'm not sure/undecided

High mmr is not fun because game is not balanced. killer camp and tunnel because game is unbalanced.

Balancing the game would solve a lot of high mmr fun problems

• jesterkind
    jesterkind Member Posts: 7,225
    Options

No option for truly representing my opinion so I picked the closest and decided to comment- the MMR system was a good idea and has a perfectly serviceable base, it just needs a few slight tweaks and some balance changes to the rest of the game, and it'll be infinitely better than the mess of the old system.

• BenOfMilam
    Options

I think you're right, the actual problem lies with the game design itself: the most effective strategies to get escapes or kills are also the least fun strategies to play with or against.

• BenOfMilam
    Options

If MMR as a system actually worked I think it would be fine, so I agree. However, it simply doesn't work properly in it's current state imho. The big change I think that needs to happen is that MMR needs to increase and decrease more slowly. If I lose one game, I shouldn't be playing against newbies. If I win one game, I shouldn't be playing against wannabe comp teams

• TheBigGopher
    TheBigGopher Member Posts: 122
    Options

MMR is awful, when I play with survivors we never get anything done and its 50/50 if we're fighting a God tier killer or a baby.

As killer it's the same, only a higher chance to go up against annoying as SWFs.

• dugman
    dugman Member Posts: 9,714
    Options

I definitely think the new system is producing better results overall for me than the old system. Anybody who thinks there weren’t a ton of complaints about the old system is looking at it through rose colored nostalgic glasses, the old system was terrible.

• OverratedFool
    OverratedFool Member Posts: 66
    Options

At the very least, I would love to see them change the system to work so that survivors are affected by the survival of all four survivors. That way, the Blendettes can find themselves back in the noob games where they belong. Survivors who just leave instead of making late unhooks will also be justly punished and sent back to the noob games where they too belong.

You get the picture, I have more of a problem with the idea that survivors are ranked purely on their own survival, than I do with MMR being a thing. Why would they create a system that actively encourages people to play selfishly? What a fun environment in which the game will thrive... That said, getting rid of MMR completely would be better still.

• idc
    idc Member Posts: 49
    Options

I never played sweaty so my MMR is at a pretty fun level where I can just sit back relax and enjoy the game.

• Awkweird
    Awkweird Member Posts: 30
    Options
  • BenOfMilam
    Options

Necroposting.

Can a mod lock this thread?

• MaxFiGuy
    MaxFiGuy Member Posts: 56
    Options

I think SBMM reveals balance issues in DBD.

• Awkweird
    Awkweird Member Posts: 30
    Options

I completely agree. It exacerbates existing problems and polarizes the playerbase at best, and at worst it doesn't even work and gives unbalanced matches anyway.