Whats is MMR supposed to achieve?

MMR has been in the game for a while, and i really dont see the benefit from it. Games are a hit or miss just like theyve been with the old rank system. Sometimes i get 4 god survivors that play as safe as they can and the game ends in 5 minutes without me actually chasing anyone. And the game after that i get two blendettes with 40h in the game. That doesnt seem like much of an improvement to me. And its the same as survivor. The only thing that really has changed for me is the variety in perk builds either side and the playstyle of people. If you hook someone in endgame and three other survivors are alive, you can pretty much be sure they will just leave. And the same goes for killer: Why chase multiple people when you need kills to boost your MMR? Why unhook anyone when you can get 2 gens done and escape? Escaping and kills are the worst stipulations anyone could have thought of cause they make the game super uninteresting and by no means do they indicate player skill.

Comments

• Starly
    Starly Member Posts: 108

It's supposed to achieve balanced matches for casual players. But the realization is not great.

• Marigoria
    Marigoria Member Posts: 6,090

It's supposed to match you with players of equal skill.

Is it working? No.

• DemonDaddy
    DemonDaddy Member Posts: 4,167

It's a gatekeeper for the new player experience. Acting as a shield from veteran players until you can breach the mmr threshold and see what your actually going to experience.

• SunsetSherbet
    SunsetSherbet Member Posts: 1,607

Fun games for brand new players for their first 50 or so hours so they succumb to sunk cost fallacy and just buy cosmetics.

• Marc_123
    Marc_123 Member Posts: 3,535
  • Starr43
    Starr43 Member Posts: 873

Conspiracy time.. I legitimately don’t even think there is an MMR/SBMM. There’s newer players all the time so just like before you end up against veterans sometimes and others they are still learning. It’s the easiest it’s ever been to reach red ranks yet as I go along I more or less see similar ranked killers as we climb towards iri and vice versa.

I find it a little funny when so many streams and YouTube vids are titled “high/highest MMR” when there’s no legitimate way to have a clue what your rating would be or the rating of other players in the match.

I experimented by dying intentionally to endgame collapse etc over and over again and it never seemed to lead to me facing someone brand new so I’ve also gone on long streaks without dying and then get a string of 1-2 perk players that don’t have a clue yet…

I’ve also intentionally let 4 man escapes repeatedly on specific killers and it appeared to have ZERO effect on the players you’ll see because I could go with 20+ no kills and still see some really good matches with essential no obvious weak link… then 4K a bunch and end up facing new players with like premonition tier 1.. no joke

• BadLooperQ
    BadLooperQ Member Posts: 277

^ Imo the mmr really exists but it's as simple as It gets...

Win some = you're a " proplayer" and therefore will be put against other "proplayers"

Lose some = take it, a little baby killer or some losing in a row survivors for you...

• The_C12H15NO2
    The_C12H15NO2 Member Posts: 335

MMR rewards survivors who hide all game and escape in hatch or after the team does gens. For killers it rewards camping/tunneling. the new MMR is zero skill based for matching.