Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

Forum Community Comapared to In Game Community

Just out of curiosity, how do y'all(pardon my use of that, it's colloquial) think the community here on the forum represent the player base overall i.e. what percentage of the player base and how well do you believe they are represented here when it comes to opinions, consensus on topics, and general behavior and etiquette? Taken with a grain of salt of course because there are certain things to be expected from an internet forum. Do you think members here accurately represent the thoughts, opinions, and concerns of the average player? How do your interactions with members here compare to those in game? Just curious.

Comments

• Mringasa
    Mringasa Member Posts: 980

Nowhere near the same.

People come to Forums to vent, or throw out ideas. Mostly venting.

In-game, I rarely see the BM, toxicity or trash game play that gets complained about frequently on the Forum. Most of my games on both sides are excellent and enjoyable, even the shorter ones. According to the Forums though, I should be sweating, gritting my teeth, and generally be thoroughly upset during every match.

The bad ones do stick in my head for a while though. If only because it's pretty rare, and it's always the oddballs out that you remember.

• Trickstaaaaa
    Trickstaaaaa Member Posts: 1,267
    edited February 2022

0% in common with the people who play the game. For one how can a couple 100s of active forum users at it's best, be able to represent the 100,000s of active players. And the people that come to the forums like us tend to actually care more about the game, I guess. So no the average player does not really care about balance and things like that, they mostly just play the game.

Post edited by Trickstaaaaa on
  • GuyFawx
    GuyFawx Member Posts: 2,027

Whenever the pressure builds its got to be vented somewhere especially with covid people are little bit frayed atm still. So the forums become a place of release and this game does have a tendency to scratch people the wrong way easily. Personally I feel like if dbd had voice comms it would ease that pressure to some extent because just twxt msging in game can tend to be misinterpreted a lot of the time and cause more hostility than was intended.

• SentinelCaptain
    SentinelCaptain Member Posts: 234

I play both sides and definitely encounter examples of behavior that is talked about here, both SWF Bully Squads, and Killers that just take the fun out if the match. I have had a lot of pleasant interactions as well though, some fun, relaxed, point farm matches from both sides, and on a very rare occasion a mutual "GG" message exchange. Overall though, I find the community here much more pleasant to interact with, which I suppose should be a given considering we are all at least invested enough in the game to be here in the first place.

• SentinelCaptain

I feel like in game voice comms would quickly devolve to Modern Warfare 2 levels. 😂

• legrosporc69
    legrosporc69 Applicant Posts: 250

Perso i had better convo with people on the forum compare to ingame. The people ingame for some reason its always the survivor they just cry and insult you and your family. I never had a civil conversation with any of them but with killer i had plenty of good conversation but most of the time they just quit.

On the forum i had awesome talk with people and we could get our point across one another with no insult and most of the time both party could see why the person think like that and its experience.

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,223

It's tough to lump the DbD community together.

The forums and reddit tend to skew towards killer-sided opinions. But the forums have a bit more reasonable voices.

DbD twitter tends to skew towards more survivor-centric opinions in the sense that the slowdown meta is getting old. The loudest voices tend to have thousands of hours, so they're not really seeing issues from the perspective of an average player.

Comp DbD thinks the game is a complete joke and realizes both roles are completely broken when played optimally in a public match setting. You'll see comp killers posting screenshots of zero perk zero add on 4ks saying "killer hard amirite". They'll also have 6000 hrs and fail to see how their perspective might be different.

It seems like the average player you encounter has opinions somewhat reflective of the official forums or reddit. Usually not quite as extreme.

• Junylar
    Junylar Member Posts: 2,005
    edited February 2022

It doesn't. On forums you get punished for saying anything that "promotes toxic gameplay", for mentioning t-shirts and similar precedents, etc., while you are not bound by such restrictions in the game. Forum only represents that small part of the community that can survive the forum rules application in a long term, and the rules here are much stricter than in the game itself.

• brokedownpalace
    brokedownpalace Member Posts: 8,792

The forum is mostly made up of the angry, vocal minority. Like most social media is.

• Sonzaishinai
    Sonzaishinai Member Posts: 7,976

Forum definitively doesn't reprisent the playerbase on it's whole.

It's mostly concistant of frustrated people venting after a bad match and/or people who have burned out on the game and refuse to admit it using the excuse that it's the game that isn't fun anymore instead of them just naturally losing intrest.

Also a lot of people that don't know how to take a break. An actual break. Not this "stop playing the game but still talking about it everyday on forums" what a lot of people do here.

Most of the playerbase is just enjoying the game

• Labrac
    Labrac Applicant Posts: 1,285

From my experience most of the people here play a lot more of killer than survivor. Probably because in game as a survivor, even in solo, you usually have your teammates to back you up, even in the endgame chat. As killer main that has turned the chat off sometimes it feels like I'm playing a single player so I come here to at least have an idea of the community.

• Barbarossa2020
    Barbarossa2020 Member Posts: 1,369

If forum accounts were linked to game accounts the forums would be even cleaner.

But that said, some of the stuff said in post game chat is disgusting and he perma ban hammer really needs to be applied more often.

• Heartbound
    Heartbound Member Posts: 3,255

The problem with measuring this community is that you usually reach people right after a potentially stress induced experience. Competitive people or people trying to make X happen aren't going to be in the best of moods.

Like if all 4 survivors escape me I usually get 4 ggs, and we can chill and talk and have fun. If I kill 2, well, those two are already gone and queued up for another game. They may not have taken it bad but that one dude that sticks around to yell at you, well, that's all you see.

Forum side you have those competitive players and chill dorks like me that just mess around. I think your average player just plays a few rounds then does something else.

• FrenziedRoach
    FrenziedRoach Member Posts: 2,600

Naw - Whereas the public games are acid rain, the forums is a radioactive cesspit that we have to wade up to our armpits is toxicity in order to glean anything other than the same tired complaints.

• SentinelCaptain

Linking forum accounts to in-game would likely bring about absolute chaos and I am 100% here for it! 😂