Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

What is boon COH main issue?

Faulds
Faulds Member Posts: 903
edited February 2022 in Polls

In your opinion. What is COH main issue (from a killer perspective)?

As far as i'm concerned, i don't think that the healing speed boost while healing your teammates is the main issue. We'll make It is a great perk... and barely no one ever used it. I think it has more to do with the speed of self care that allows everyone on the team to heal themselves within 16 seconds. I even see people healing themselves rather than getting an 8 seconds heal from an ally. Maybe realigning boon selfcare speed with the self-care perk would nerf it accordingly.

What's your thoughts?

What is boon COH main issue? 36 votes

The healing speed boost to healing your teammates
33%
Seiko300Mister_xDReikoMoriChordycepsbjorksnasTatariuIdontknowtbhGuiltiiPSPBennett_They1ThemGarlicRiceMarc_123 12 votes
The selfcare ability provided by the boon
38%
GibberishLeonardo1italandromatGreyBigfoot[Deleted User]WishIcouldmainvladspellbinderFlameGNGTrickstaaaaahailxsatanxeveryxdayshinobu149AurelleFauldsPetforces 14 votes
Both of the above
27%
anarchy753musstang62MrPenguinAvilgusRoboMojoGlamourousLeviathanRobotfangirl67Warcrafter4CyberDragoon656JamnJelly 10 votes

Comments

• Faulds
    edited February 2022

I dunno. Make selfcare (the perk) at 100% of the normal speed, and i'm pretty sure you'd have the exact same issue. They balanced it by making the speed 50% of normal speed. Further more, making every boon have different conditions of activation from another might be making things more complicated (coding wise)... when you can balance the buffs themselves way more simply and directly.

• jesterkind
    jesterkind Member Posts: 7,612

Right, but the problem is that Self-Care is a garbage, useless perk if you use it like that, because it's designed to be used with medkits, which offsets the reduced speed. Unless you also give CoH the same benefit to medkits that Self-Care does, that just makes the perk dramatically less attractive while not really addressing its core issues.

• sizzlingmario4
    sizzlingmario4 Member Posts: 6,707

It's mostly that it can be relit over and over and over again, although I think the healing speed is a problem as well.

You cannot make COH balanced with numbers-only tweaks unless you make the perk garbage.

Meanwhile, if you add some kind of cooldown after snuffing or anything else like that, then that negatively affects the other two boon perks as well, which aren't overpowered and don't need nerfs, so then you'd end up having to change them as well.

• Faulds
    edited February 2022

Noted. I'll add an "Other" category next time for sure. Unfortunately, i can't change it anymore... and that is really frustrating.

• Aurelle
    Aurelle Member Posts: 3,611

The infinite self care is the main issue. It would be fine if it was only available to the player who brought the Boon perk, but since it provides the whole team with it it becomes a problem.

• FFirebrandd
    FFirebrandd Member Posts: 2,445

Neither.

The biggest problem with it is that Circle of Healing can easily end up in a position where you as the Killer cannot reasonably do anything about it. It's across the map by gens that are done, or it is up or down some stairs inside a building and going and snuff it will take 10 seconds you can't spare. Even if you do decide that snuffing it is worth it... it can just get replaced 14 seconds later so what was even the point? Snuffing it gave you basically zero breathing room.

Snuffing a boon needs to make it impossible to relight for 30 to 60 seconds. Maybe it should make the owner of the boon scream too.

• Mister_xD
    Mister_xD Member Posts: 7,669

the selfcare ability it provides for everyone in itself is strong enough to warrant being a boon totem perk, the speedboost when healing others / using a medkit is just an unnecessary bonus on top.

Oh BuT ThE PeRk TiErS - okay, how about lvl 1 CoH lets you heal at 50% healing speed, lvl 2 at 75% healing speed and lvl 3 at 100%. now we got Perk tiers again.

and a general change i would like to see to boons is that it should take Survivors longer to bless totems the more they get snuffed out.

something like 16s for the first blessing, 20s for the second, 24s for the third, etc - similar to waking someone up from Freddys dreamworld.

• anarchy753
    anarchy753 Member Posts: 4,212
    Both of the above

It's that it's never not efficient to use in basically any circumstance.

• BoriskyTheFox
    BoriskyTheFox Member Posts: 113

I think CoH is fine. I mean, just snuff the boon totem if it annoys you so much.

• Trickstaaaaa
    Trickstaaaaa Member Posts: 1,267

Not the self-care part for the survivor who set up the totem. But the fact that the whole squad can heal with it.

• Nathan13
    Nathan13 Member Posts: 6,699

Neither, the perk is fine the way it is.

• Hex_Llama
    Hex_Llama Member Posts: 1,818

I would say the problem is that there's no way to get rid of it for good. Maybe the Boons should have tokens or something -- you can only relight them until you run out.

• Nathan13
    Nathan13 Member Posts: 6,699

They’re all useless except COH and can easily be snuffed by the killer.

• Bennett_They1Them
    Bennett_They1Them Member Posts: 2,513

it's just a straight upgrade to every healing perk in the game, honestly. It needs to not boost healing speed more than 25% at most.

also, is having a home-remedy better than actual first aid really such a great idea considering, y'know, covid?

• GamerEzra
    GamerEzra Member Posts: 941

The fact that you can bless a totem over and over makes it OP and unfair towards killers. Hex perks can't be reset either...

• Seiko300
    Seiko300 Member Posts: 1,862
    edited February 2022

Very well put, the only reason I selected the faster heals is because I think this aspect of the perk is more problematic than the self-heal aspect- in part because I think the self-heal aspect of CoH is supposed to be the main feature and appeal of the perk and the bonus to healing speeds is just a bit of over-the-top "icing on the cake" so to speak. But it's more like you took the cake and added double the length of the cake with icing and it's just overkill.

But playing off what Jesterkind is talking about, I would argue one of the main problems many people seem to miss is range. I think this has to be one of the greatest sources of power that CoH draws from, the fact that you can be a ridiculous length away from the totem at the very edge of it's range on the other side of a building, behind three rocks, and a tree and still pull off a COH heal.

Range has to be an incredibly sensitive aspect of balancing boon totems, because while it may make COH incredibly strong, it is also incredibly vital to Shadow Step's and Exponential's usability. Which is why balancing boons entirely around the issues of just one perk (CoH) is an incredibly awful idea, if your reduced the range of Boon totems as a whole you would absolutely be effectively gutting Shadow Step and Exponential, and arguably they'd be some of the worst perks in the game.

So instead, the ranges of each individual Boon perk should be treated as the completely separate entities that they are. One of the best ways to rebalance CoH in my opinion would be to greatly reduce the range of Circle of healing drastically from 24 to something like 18 or 14 or less. This way survivors have much less liberty about where they can choose to heal and are much more closely restricted to the active zone where CoH has actually been blessed.

But at the same time this is also lends itself to questions about the visual and audio cues, does that mean they would also be decreased along with the range of effectiveness and thus maybe be interpreted as some kind of shadow buff which hides the presence of CoH? Or should the cues still activate at those ranges even if that's not necessarily indicative of where survivors / the totem itself will be. That one I'm not actually so sure about.

There's also the question / conversation about vertical range, which I have less strong feelings of, personally I think it's really cool and allows survivors to strategize where exactly they want to place a boon totem. Although I also recognize that this bit may be a bit too strong and it might need to go, at the same time I'm still unaware if the Boon range works in a spherical or cylindrical shape: as in the range works anywhere within a spherical radius of 24 meters, or if it just works anywhere within 24 meters on an X axis regardless of where your Y axis position is. I wanted to mention this as a point of conversation which exists and should be remembered to exist, but I don't really have much of a claim about it.

But I am sure of some other smaller changes which generally just make it easier to find and extinguish blessed totems. I think the directionality of their cues should be much more apparent than they are, sometimes finding them within a zone can be a pain if the totem is hidden well and that's time killers often don't have when they need to be pressuring the rest of the map. Making the audio cue get a lot stronger and more noticeable based on distance direction, maybe the blue glow on the edges of your screen will pulsate softly the closer and closer you get to the totem itself. Things of that nature.

I'm also a proponent of the idea that a boon's aura should be revealed to a killer intermittently after enough time has passed. As Jesterkind pointed out, there's supposed to be an interesting back-and-forth between killers snuffing out boons and survivors relighting them, they aren't meant to stay up for long periods of time and this is one of the main differences which separates them from their Hex: Perks counterparts. So I think after a decent amount of time has passed, say 120 seconds or so (values subject to change) every 30 seconds or so a Boon's aura will reveal itself to a killer intermittently for a short 3 or 4 second period of time. Perceptive killers who are looking for this aura reveal will be able to spot the small blue glow of a totem's aura in the distance and then have the option to go there or not.

There's plenty more to say and more nifty ideas on how to balance totems, such as a distance-extinguish idea I had to go along with the aura reveal bit, but I've covered the main pieces that I wanted to already I think.

• Crit
    Crit Member Posts: 42

Honestly it's just the endlessness of the healing and the boon

• fogdonkey
    fogdonkey Member Posts: 1,567

Neither.

The problem: It is a 5th perk slot for the other survivors.

• Ripley
    Ripley Member Posts: 866

There's a few issues with it but none of them are in your poll.

Where I have seen it change the 'battle', it has been because at least one player has it and relights it for quick healing. Players get injured, hide then heal. So a killer never can apply pressure unless the team is baby survivors. With medkits you can heal team mates super fast. This seems unfair.

This is partly why I switched to self-care and start cleansing totems, and seeking out injured players. Before, I used to use CoH all the time and it didn't seem to help much. Surprising the number of survivors who don't understand it has a radius effect.

I don't know how to balance it better so it scales for all players.

• vladspellbinder
    vladspellbinder Member Posts: 320

Having Self-Care stapled onto Circle of Healing like some sort of Frankenstein's Monster Perk has always been my main problem with it. Far too many of my games has a Boon been set up and when someone is unhooked the person just off the hook runs away to the Boon area and the Survivor who did the unhook action goes and works on a gen.

It isn't so much the healing time as it is Survivor efficiency I have a problem with. By just KNOWING you can heal yourself in the Boon you don't have to find someone else to heal you and your teammates can just do gens or go for saves or body blocks or whatever else will help them win the game instead of having to have two people out of the action to bring someone back into it. The distance factor many others have brought up is also a problem, as the Boon can be set up far, far away from the last three or four gens so there is nothing the Killer can do about it that won't basically be giving up the game.

I say bump the healing bonus back to 100% and replace the Self-Care part of it with "Your Aura is revealed to all other Survivors" so people know you need healing while you're there. This also just so happens to give a buff to Solo players without helping out S.W.F. groups at all, which we need more of.

• ReikoMori
    ReikoMori Member Posts: 3,333

The speed in conjunction with med-kits just makes it highly efficient to a degree that certain killers simply do not fair well against it. The only consistent way to really curb boon usage is to run totem perks yourself to make blessing take a bit longer or be really oppressive early on so there isn't really time for them to bless at all. Even if you do get early game pressure you simply can't be everywhere at once so eventually someone will get a boon off. Them getting the boon up isn't an instant loss by any means, but it does mean you're gonna have to commit to chases in ways that waste your time more than normal.

I think it giving self care to the entire team is fine, but it needs to have the efficiency cap as Self-care does. Them trimming back the base healing speed of COH to 75% is a nice start

• CyberDragoon656
    CyberDragoon656 Member Posts: 960
    Both of the above

The core mechanic of Boons itself is the main issue.

• TeabaggingGhostface
    TeabaggingGhostface Member Posts: 3,108

Imo the boon mechanic itself needs an overhaul, mainly giving each boon's secondary effect to ONLY the user and making boons that are snuffed destroy the totem