Can someone explain me how this could happen? (Matchmaking)

I got matched as Killer 1900h playtime against a survivor who got 6 HOURS playtime. (I'm playing 50/50 Survivor/Killer and my MMR cant be THAT bad)

Comments

• ReikoMori
    ReikoMori Member Posts: 3,333

In order to keep matchmaking times low the game will lower the threshold of MMR so you can get a team of anyone who happens to be on regardless of MMR.

• GoshJosh
    GoshJosh Member Posts: 4,992

Without playing with friends, this is my experience in 80% or more of matches on DbD Mobile (both as survivor and killer). Which I don’t think Mobile uses MMR (still shows old ranking system), but must indicate a low player base and/or a matchmaking system that too strongly prioritizes queue time over fairer matches.

• Carrow
    Carrow Member Posts: 500
    edited February 2022

Patrick's Magical Matchmaking is functionally broken.

• Avilgus
    Avilgus Member Posts: 1,261

The whole MMR system is a joke and a very bad one.

1 year and half of development and 3 beta btw.

• AlbinoViera
    AlbinoViera Member Posts: 169
    edited February 2022

Did you lose a single game beforehand?

I've noticed that if I go on a "win" streak of killing 3 or more survivors per game for a few matches, that if I lose one where 3 or more escape. Then I get matched with SIGNIFICANTLY newer/weaker players.

For example, I was getting people with roughly 1200 hours in my matches to the point where I stopped checking their time before starting a match. I ended up getting destroyed by a TTV swf who did all 5 gens in the time it took for me to get four downs. They all escaped, and because they destroyed me, I checked their hours. About 4k hours each. I thought, fair enough, guess I'll go back to 1200 hour people.

The very next game, and the four games after that. I was matched with groups of players who had an hour count that would never exceed 200. Every time, they didn't even have tier 3 perks and would hide at the sound of a Terror radius.

I'd like to point out, this has happened several times.

I'm thinking that it might reset your MMR to some degree if everyone escapes. Either that or when you "lose" a match it causes your MMR to drop considerably more than what you gain from "winning."

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,233
    edited February 2022

It happens to me too (3500 hrs). I get teammates with under 10 hours and opponents with under 10 hours. It should never happen under any circumstances. That should be sounding alarm bells with the devs in charge of the SBMM algorithm, but as usual they're approaching it with BHVR-level urgency, which is to say...none. How is that not being hotfixed?

I pretty much don't play solo queue anymore because matchmaking ensures that it's a complete waste of my free time.