The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Last minute saves are considered "greedy" now huh

2»

Comments

• thrawn3054
    thrawn3054 Member Posts: 5,897

No, I'm arguing your ridiculous definition of "greeding" is just flat wrong.

• AJStyIez
    AJStyIez Member Posts: 419

Nahh I'm pretty confident that I did, there's a reason it was upvoted 5 times and nobody else besides you is questioning me about how altruism at the wrong times is considered greedy. If it was solely about the killer's attitude here then you wouldn't be trying to debate something that the community around you agrees with despite a handful of people claiming its wrong

I already said the killer was an #########, all I said besides that was that it's considered a greedy play by a lot of people to force a save when it can get others killed especially when you have a free win right in front of you. I do it all the time myself, it is what it is. I'm willing to bet a poll would support my stance too on whether or not altruism at the wrong times is greedy. Remember greeding is 'subjective' though the next time your teammate farms you off the hook with no BT and you die immediately afterwards because they don't think its a bad play

• Hex_Llama
    Hex_Llama Member Posts: 1,818

I don't think there's anything wrong with trying to do a save. I also don't think the killer was trying to deeply criticize your moral character by using "greed" as a verb.

FWIW, the reason it would look greedy to the killer is because the killer's viewing you and the Meg as one unit that makes up the opposing team -- by saving her, you're hurting his team and helping your team; trying to take points he could have had when you've already won. One of the weaknesses of DBD is that it doesn't really account for team play, so you're right that whether the Meg lives or dies doesn't affect your score -- but it does affect the killer's score and it affects how much glory people feel like they took from the match. So, from his POV, greed means, "It wasn't enough for you to win; you had to try to make it a total shut-out." Which some people would also consider overkill or BM depending how the rest of the match went.

Again, I don't think there's anything wrong with trying to save, but I also understand how it looks from his POV.

• Voodoo_Thirsty
    Voodoo_Thirsty Member Posts: 522

Lol, I think my total upvote heavily outweighs your own, but instead of jousting whether who has the bigger upvote schlong, how about we acknowledge that we'll never see eye to eye on this situation?

There's a reason why lots of people agree with me and lots agree with you, but at the end of the day, we each play our own games. You seem to be in line with the killer/streamer I met that match and I seem to be an altruistic survivor who may seem like a greedy player in some killer's eyes.

Though I heavily am against using that certain term that carry no resemblance to its intended meaning whatsoever, I'll let it slide as you'll never be able to change my mind as I can't change yours.

• RainehDaze
    RainehDaze Member Posts: 2,573
    edited February 2022

I'm not using any words, I'm just pointing out how other people are already using them, and you're not going to get anywhere by railing against inaccurate terminology.

Literally your entire thread is based around this idea that we need to use the dictionary definition of greed and if we do then you can't have been greedy, so look at how this doesn't make sense.

Or we can use the weird colloquial DBD meaning, which means the Killer's kind of a jerk but there's nothing confusing going on.

• Voodoo_Thirsty

That's an absolutely terrible logic.

If 99.9% of the population use the word "greedy" as a means to gain selfish advantage in any cost, it's never wrong to point out that the word should be used for its intended purpose. Just because the remaining 0.1% of the DBD community uses it uniquely doesn't give them a pass for using the wrong term that means something completely different.

It's like calling you, RainehDaze, a piece of s but sugarcoating it as "oh, I don't mean it as a bad thing". It logically doesn't make any sense. Following your logic, everybody should respect what word we say and how we mean it since it's what the speaker "intends" to say right?

Well in that case... Everyone is gutter trash that deserves to rot in the deepest part of hell with all your parents and children along with you. Oh! But don't take it literally, I meant it in a good way! You see how weird it sounds?

• deKlaw_04
    deKlaw_04 Member Posts: 3,660

Just ignore him you did the right thing. I would love to have you as my teammate. Definitely better than the idiots that leave immediately

• IronKnight55
    IronKnight55 Member Posts: 2,932

This is so silly. There is nothing greedy about wanting to help another teammate. I do this a lot because I don't like leaving my teammates behind and it sucks getting left to die on hook. It's not being greedy.

• danielmaster87
    danielmaster87 Member Posts: 9,082

It's more of a lucky thing in my instances. I can't just have survivors who play it safe and get their 2-man escape. No they have to be the super crazy altruistic ones and save the guy off hook as soon as I turn my head, even when I have instadowns.

• Brimp
    Brimp Member Posts: 2,881

I would personally consider that greedy even if it's for the sake of trading to let that person escape and you dying.

• Zozzy
    Zozzy Member Posts: 4,759

They always have been greedy and feed into the only stat they use to balance the entire game. Kills.

• RainehDaze
    RainehDaze Member Posts: 2,573

It's not terrible logic, it's how English works and how things get added to the dictionary in the first place. If enough people within a group use a word to mean something, then that's an acceptable use of the word, and no matter how much people will insist that it shouldn't be used this way. And enough DBD streamers and players will use greed to stand in for risk-taking that it's an understood term within the DBD player base. Will it spread to other games? Did it start in another game? I don't know or really care, but it is what it is.

The point I'm making is that this is a change that has already happened, there's no point fighting it to try and stop linguistic drift. It's going to happen no matter how insistent you are that it's the wrong use of the word. That's what they meant, enough players know what it means that it's not exactly uncommon, if someone says you made a greedy play or whatever in future you know what they mean.

• AJStyIez

"Greeding is any time a player makes a sub-optimal decision for the sake of getting a neglectable set of extra points, being flashy or just for the sake of being bold regardless of the risk it comes with" - Please prove or explain how this is incorrect, I'll wait

You guys are really on a video-game forum using semantics and the technicalities in textbook definitions just to prove a moot point instead of accep

ting that greeding has been around in DBD for years. It doesn't matter what you 'feel', it doesn't change the fact that it's currently the term used to describe the OP's play. You guys are really trying to debate this as the best content creators, tournament players, hundreds of average players use it publicly on a daily basis. Refer to the timestamps below to see how its not new

For people like you and the OP that talk about others being rude, biased or projecting subjective thoughts you sure do always come off as a hypocrite in the few threads I've seen you going back and forth with people in 😂 'Ignore him, anybody that doesn't think exactly like me and play the same style as me is an idiot for leaving' when in reality that's the smartest decision you can make if you're trying to win. I bet if we called you idiots for forcing a save and then dying that would be called immature though

• AJStyIez

Thank you for pointing out the silliness. They're trying to argue the word greed because it makes them feel bad when its already been labeled as such a long time ago. Its a very weird hill to die on and doesn't change anything

• deKlaw_04

I’ll give you this, I should have clarified. What I meant was being hooked last and then having all 3 teammates just leave immediately. That’s what I meant. That’s not what obviously happened in this scenario with just 2 people. I had a game vs Myers and no one wanted to go for the save in the basement so I went in. I get grabbed and hooked next to ash. I use my deliverance and get him off but I go down again. As soon as that happens David who was on the other side of the map just left. Quinten stayed to watch and then left with the ash. I could have made it out but oh well. But if you think you can go for the save last minute then hey go for it. I have seen it work with 2 people. Skip to 9:07

And you can call me what whatever you want I don’t care😂 hope your having a nice day tho

• deKlaw_04

I’m actually happy I got that on video. I was out of my seat watching that props to her for going for it. I was gonna message her but different platform. I have had games where I have the mentality of “I’m gonna die but I’m gonna get you out”. And I only said ignore him because I thought the convo was getting heated . My mistake for that. Should have said something like “drop it instead”

• deKlaw_04

Agree. “but what's the point in playing an online multiplayer game when we're not going to work as a team til the very end?” This is 100% how I feel.

• Voodoo_Thirsty

Wasn't the biggest fan of Hawkins but yes, losing a map is a heavy blow for us these days.

• AJStyIez

There's nothing complex you've said that's hard to understand though so there's no need to keep saying that. Most of your comments have only been personal feelings because you're not really adding any good facts other than playing a human dictionary as if this is a classroom. Its DBD my friend not a dissertation.. Perhaps its your first time being involved in a PvP game's community or modern internet culture but buzzwords and terminology changing is extremely common so this is really a non-debate. You're simply arguing the semantics portion with real life context (for a cartoonish video game) and being sarcastic in an attempt to have a point but you're not really saying anything valuable other than you don't agree with it which respectfully doesn't matter in this convo. Your only talking point is the semantics and being technical just to say 'gotcha!'

I explained like 4 times why its called greeding/greeded/greedy and provided proof that this has been the case for a while as players have used this phrase for over 5 years in DBD. I literally heard Otzdarva say it himself in one of his recent DBD streams for example so I guess he's stupid just like me and the rest of us because we're not being gramatically correct in a video game 😂 My bad Professor please don't tank my grade - Since you're clearly grading our language though I took 2 minutes to research only 1 channel of the many in DBD Discord and found 100 pages worth of comments that talk about greeding (Screenshots above as far back as 2016 above) Idk why you guys speak as if its MY personal opinion when its really an objective observation. If you don't like the terminology for DBD that's fine, but to argue facts with feelings is stupid and so is trying to play professor just for using a word you don't want them to use

It was my fault too because I was talking to both of you at once. You weren't calling people rude that part was for Deklaw; You did call me biased towards Killer though when I'm literally a Survivor main that plays a lot of both sides 😎 Deklaw basically called anybody that doesn't play with the same ideology idiots which is funny because if I called somebody here dogshite for dying while trying to be Superman across the map it would be considered rude. Play how you want, I know I do. I just played 10 matches straight last night with 0 perks or items and still escaped enough to get the Power Moves achievement (8 times with at least 1 full gen done and escape without using anything). I greeded a couple of hooks and got punished, could've easily ran out the doors or used others as bait but I took fatal hits and traded so that my friend could escape. Show me where I'm bias or not understanding

• deKlaw_04

i apologize for that I wasn’t trying to be rude. I meant something like “drop the conversation” cause it felt like it was getting heated. And I should have been more clear about what I meant by “idiot”. What I meant where the teams that had 3 people available and one on hook and they just leave because….. well idk solo que. Again I apologize. I don’t blame anyone for leaving if you are the only one and everyone else is gone and one still one hook. Should have made that more clearer that’s on me

• ThiccBudhha
    ThiccBudhha Member Posts: 6,987

Well, yes, it is objectively greedy. No idea why he is mad about it, if anything, survivor greed is the ONLY thing that let's us 4k high mmr survivors. It is a blessing. He should be thanking you.