Tokens on boons: Good or bad idea?

Options

I've seen a lot of people mention putting boons on a token system where after being snuffed out or placed X number of times, you can't bless totems anymore. While I agree this could be a potential solution, I don't think it's the best. I think when people mention this solution they tunnel vision only on Boon: Circle of Healing. Yes, this boon is a problem, but if you put boons on a token system, then you're nerfing the other boons which people don't use very often, making them even less popular. What do you guys think though? Would tokens be good for boons, or is there another solution that you think would be better?

Comments

• MrPeanutbutter
    MrPeanutbutter Member Posts: 1,586
    edited April 2022
    Options

Dead Hard should have limited tokens too

but yes, I think it would be a good way to nerf boons as well

• Chaos999
    Chaos999 Member Posts: 869
    Options

Honestly I think it would be a good system for both hexes and boons.

Would make using either more strategical and create a whole new mindgame potential and make of bones an actual secondary objective rather than the afterthought it is now

• GoshJosh
    GoshJosh Member Posts: 4,992
    Options

I think a reasonable booning cool down would have been fine.

• MrPenguin
    MrPenguin Member Posts: 2,395
    Options

Better than unlimited at least. Unless they have so many it doesn't matter.

• Rezblaze
    Rezblaze Member Posts: 843
    Options

Honestly, they need to just have Boon Totems break when a Killer puts them out.

A) It buffs Pentimento and synergizes with it better.

B) If a survivor Boons a Totem, it's pretty much considered broken anyway. There is no benefit for the Killer by making it dull.

C) Nerfs the Boon Totems in a sensible way that forces survivors to play more tactically with boobs

• GoshJosh
    Options

To point B, there are three exceptions: Thrill of the Hunt, Plaything, and NOED.

• Rezblaze
    Rezblaze Member Posts: 843
    Options

Fair enough but like, it'd be no different than having a build where survivors break dull totems.

I think them affecting Thrill, Plaything, and NOED but having a cap would be far more preferable than current status or making them token based.

• AndyKuky
    AndyKuky Member Posts: 84
    Options

A token system doesn’t fix them. Even if you give them just three tokens, that’s twelve potential uses per game. The way it should be is the way that a perk like Blast Mine works. You do specific amounts of a gen and you get to boon a totem. It doesn’t have to be as much as Blast Mine takes. Hey let’s give hex perks tokens too I guess.

• jesterkind
    jesterkind Member Posts: 7,260
    Options

A token system is a bad idea. It wouldn't even really fix Circle of Healing, and it'd make the other three legitimately not worth running unless you're going for some kind of gimmick.

It doesn't matter if CoH only has one token, since the right way to use it is to put it out of the action where it's not worth the killer's time to go chase it down. Single-use or limited tokens might make it slightly more worth it to go snuff, but it's totally understandable for BHVR to want boons to all follow the same rules and there's absolutely no justification for putting all the other three on a token system.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, you cannot fix Circle of Healing by nerfing the other three boons.

• EvilJoshy
    EvilJoshy Member Posts: 5,295
    Options

The only problem I see with a cd is swf just rotating cds. I like boons but the fact they are infinite is my issue.

• Nanachi
    Nanachi Member Posts: 5
    Options

I personally think there are 3 main solutions that could be applied:

1. A Token based system like OP said, but with an extra where Survivors can generate Tokens by completing Objectives. An example could be that every Survivor starts with 1 Token and generates 1 for each Gen they finish repairing or each Totem they cleanse.
    2. A simple Timer functioning like Freddys wakeup interaction (when an awake Survivor wakes up a sleeping one). For example the Timer could start at 45 Seconds and increase after each time when the Killer snuffs the Totem. Obviously those times can be adjusted.
    3. Or at last make it so the Killer can decide to snuff the totem or break it if he finds a Boon. That way the Killer can decide to keep the Totems for NOED, Thrill etc. or just simply break it and be done with it.
  • EntitySpawn
    EntitySpawn Member Posts: 4,233
    Options

Nah, other boons dont need to be nerfed. COH is the only one causing an issue, while each boon could have a separate number of token (this would be confusing for new players) this still doesnt fix the bigger issues with a perk like COH.

Nice idea but not any good.

• Kurri
    Kurri Member Posts: 1,599
    Options

or just break the totem when the Killer snuff's it.

• TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 12,871
    Options

I prefer putting the Boon perk on a cooldown whenever it gets snuffed so the Survivor can't start to reapply it immediately. Maybe even make it so the cooldown increases each time the Boon is reapplied.

• ThatOneDemoPlayer
    ThatOneDemoPlayer Member Posts: 5,623
    Options

I don't think Boons need nerf anymore, CoH included. If it's nerf goes live, it'll still be good but counterable

• indieeden7
    indieeden7 Member Posts: 3,349
    Options

For the last time, Boons are not the issue, CoH is. There is no reason to nerf Shadow Step, Exponential, or Dark Theory just because CoH is too strong.

• GoshJosh
    Options

Well, looking at it positively, that would cause SWFs to need to run boon perks (cough cough CoH) across at least two survivors (if not, more) if it’s that important to them to keep it up at all times.

Could also make blessing take a couple seconds longer by default (16?) to make it a tactical decision if it’s better to cleanse or bless.