The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

What's the point of the Nurse?

Comments

• CakeDuty
    CakeDuty Member Posts: 995

Please do share with me how you consistently win against a good Nurse running all the strongest perks in the game! The one killer that ignores everything that survivors have to defend themselves! I'd like to hear about that one playstyle that completely counters her and her power, cause my 'lack of skill' sure can't figure it out. :)

• KateDunson
    KateDunson Member Posts: 714

Theres no way to counter her if she's good, he's just defending her, maybe the only killer he plays and is scared of a potential nerf.

Nurse is a mistake released in 2016 when the game wasn't serious yet, in the current meta she makes literally no sense and needs to be reworked.

I don't blame players that DC against them, i blame the devs to have left her in this broken state for years, she was used to be more broken yeah, but with the good add-ons (recharge and omegablink) is impossible to stand a chance, and let's be honest, she's only played with those add-ons.

• fulltonon
    fulltonon Member Posts: 5,762

Survivors should consistently LOSE against killers in reasonable time frame, because that is the only way this game works.

If you want to consistently win, maybe play PvE games instead of PvP games.

• egg_
    egg_ Member Posts: 1,933

They obviously put it in the wrong way, but the overall point is that if it takes a full meta squad of extremely coordinated people to only stand a chance of having an average game against a full meta nurse, then there's something wrong with the killer

No. Survivors should consistently have a chance of surviving around 50% of their matches against any killer

• fulltonon
    fulltonon Member Posts: 5,762

Consistently having a chance of surviving around 50% is ENTIRELY different from consistently countering her at chase.

NO killers should get countered consistently, it has to be unreliable because otherwise they are unwinnable.

• egg_
    edited April 2022

Then I misunderstood what you said. I interpreted the "consistently lose" as "consistently lose (the game)". In my defence, it wasn't very clear. But in this case then I agree with you... Kind of

• burt0r
    burt0r Member Posts: 4,152

And what about the other way around?

Only nurse, blight and maybe spirit stand a CHANCE against the squads you name.

Both sides have things that break the game.

And they are uncommon on both.

But since the devs can't nerf top swf without "triggering" (sorry i just can't find the correct fitting word ATM) the survivor community, they also can't take the most potent tools from only one side.

• egg_

Yeah, no. Blights and nurses in full meta? Uncommon? Are we playing the same game?

• burt0r

I don't play at all at the moment and if i play i AM the killer and never play meta and let everyone go after up to 8 hooks.

So yeah, we pretty much play different games.

• DrDeepwound
    DrDeepwound Member Posts: 2,557
    edited April 2022

"Is she this broken?"

How come yuou didn't ask, "is it because survivors rather just die than learn to out play her?"

Dont blame the nurse because survivors dont want to learn to play, this is a PVP game. Some people should return to PVE land

• Voriis
    Voriis Member Posts: 131
    edited April 2022

100% agree with this. It is easier for them to blame other rather than accept their own short-comings

• Valik
    Valik Member Posts: 1,274

She's just unfun to play against.

She's either a snooze fest, or she stomps you into the dirt. A lot of people are so done with the concept they just give up.

I don't think it's that they don't think they can win - that it's helpless, I believe they simply don't care... because it isn't fun.

It isn't okay or viable - it's just that people get frustrated and bored and... well... they do what people do when they get fed up.

Both.

Nerf both.

They both need reworks very badly.

Nurse is so incredibly bad for the game that literally entire perk launches have to be snuffed and balanced around her, because she fundamentally breaks the game. Teleporting across a field and smacking a survivor - then doing it again to get a down in 5 seconds is NOT satisfying, it's garbage design.

Feast or Famine.

Either so incredibly good that few can even step toe-to-toe with you. Or miss a few hits and be completely unable to seize the momentum from the survivors.

Very poorly

• CakeDuty

Yeah, I put it the wrong way, apologies. Of course there should never be a way to consistently counter something in DbD. English isn't my first language, so I didn't see my mistake.

But Nurse is a clear representation of killers created back in 2016, she would've never been released in her current state of DbD and she is holding killers back from reaching their maximum potential, because every general killer buff or killer perk buff, the devs will always have in mind 'how strong will this be on Nurse?'

• CakeDuty

I love to see how much this has pissed you off and just has lead to you insulting my lack of skills :) I've played plenty of Nurse myself and played both killer and survivor consistently since early 2017.

I just stated that she breaks everything DbD is and that's just a fact. A good Nurse with meta perks and strong add on can consistently down survivors fast in a chase cause there's nothing they can do against her. Pallets don't work, windows don't work and walls don't work.

Anyways, you can't change my opinion and I can't change yours and I respect we have different views on her and I'll leave it at that.

• eloise
    eloise Member Posts: 528

I understand the survivor who kill himself against nurse, she is too op, the PC player nurse are to good with the nurse, nurse can put you down in 30 second so why playing against her, when I play survivor and I see it's a nurse i wait until she chase me and if she down my very fast i give up on the hook, why loose time to ply against other killer with a killer you are sure to loose? So I prefer give up (not DC DC is very bad) and that it, when the MMR will work well I'm sure I will playing against nurse very funny. If she Jill me after 3 or 4 gen it's ok for me :) i want playing fun with her, loop with her not just put me down with the perk for see the oras, the perk need to be rework for each killer, like for nurse chilli work just 1 second the new perk from onryo doesn't work for the survivor to close from the nurse... Juste rework perk on nurse

• drsoontm
    drsoontm Member Posts: 4,583

What? Not at all. What a curious idea. You were the one speaking about your 'lack of skill'. I was only pointing out it was only a matter of training and habit.

Saying she is breaking everything DbD is simply false. She isn't following the same pattern as most killers, which was a stroke of genious, but she is part of DbD ergo she doesn't break it. She is out of the comfortable (and quite stale) microcosm of loop+pallet.

Saying survivor cannot do anything against her is disingenuous and cast strong doubts as your "played plenty of Nurse since early 2017" claim. Survivors have a lot of weapons against her (cited, shown, explained and demonstrated time and again).

I have no intention to change anybody's opinion. It's not my problem at all. You looked like you needed a few tips, you prefer to stay on your idea, fine with me.

• burt0r

Well it's the same issue on survivor side with 4 people swf with communication.

Give solo a buff and it most often becomes an abomination in such swf groups.

And they can't take one sides most potent tool out and leave the other.

• Brimp
    Brimp Member Posts: 2,881

Lets just say people don't like going against someone that are better than them or else they could actually last in chase by mindgaming the nurse.

• SuzuKR
    SuzuKR Member Posts: 3,910

I don’t know why people have this weird idea Nurse holds back balance for other killers. It’s blatantly wrong. Plenty of perks that are good on her have been buffed before. Plenty of perks that are good or even amazing on her have been released. What on earth are y’all even talking about?

• Krazzik
    Krazzik Member Posts: 2,475

I mean against a good Nurse there's literally nothing you can do so why bother? You might be able to get one or two gens done but there's zero chance of winning in solo queue.

• Krazzik
    Krazzik Member Posts: 2,475

BHVR has outright said they have to keep certain killer perks weak because otherwise they'd be OP on Nurse. It's clear she's unhealthy for the game because the devs have to tiptoe around her.

• SuzuKR
    SuzuKR Member Posts: 3,910

Feel free to give a source for that claim. Perks good on her have been buffed repeatedly, and perks good for her have been released repeatedly.

• woundcowboy
    woundcowboy Member Posts: 1,994

Break LOS, run back, fake run back. That’s everything you need. If you’re slamming pallets, you’re doing it wrong. It also doesn’t hurt to have IW. Losing to Nurse is 100% a skill issue. She is one of the only killers in the game that actually takes skill. Running in circles and slamming safe pallets isn’t skillful or fun for killer.

• woundcowboy

This is such a myth. The devs have a history. If nurse was nerfed, there is no chance they would do much of anything to help other killers. The game would then be 100% in survivors hands

• egg_

What I wish is for them to nerf her most broken add-ons. For example, dark cinture and fragile wheeze -increase base fatigue by the same % of the blink CD, so +20% and +13% base fatigue. Range add-ons? Increase blink cooldown by the same % of the range added.

This won't solve the issue of her breaking the game mechanics (which I don't care of since her basekit is perfectly fine imho) and of how strong and oppressive she is with full meta perks, but at least it will make her not so easy and forgiving like the use of those add-ons make her.

• PlaysByShady
    PlaysByShady Member Posts: 590

Teleporting across a field and smacking a survivor - then doing it again to get a down in 5 seconds is NOT satisfying, it's garbage design.

And there is the straw man. It's not so simple to teleport across a field and smack a survivor. You need to be within range, be able to guess where the survivor will be after you land the blink, turn to face the correct orientation and then try to get the hit off... with a huge penalty if you miscalculate any aspect of this.

It's incredibly satisfying when you do it right. And usually if you've done it right, it's because the survivor allowed it to happen by being completely predictable.

Nurse can be juked. It's just that most people cba learning how, and they'd rather Nurse be gone than to up their level of skill.

• DoomedMind
    DoomedMind Member Posts: 793

Same, there are so many interactions and gameplay knowledge to have when you have a chase with her, it's basically mindgaming constantly and I love that.

But some people got a point : if you're strong enough with her, and you have the strongest things equipped, AND playing super sweaty (proxy camping, slugging, tunnelling), that's obnoxious for sure. More than any other killers.

• Valik

I never said it's every time - and in my example, I clearly used a field.

In an open field, survivors are very, very easy to blink to.

The point of my statement was not to suggest that this was EVERY blink or EVERY instance. But going from healthy to downed just because you happen to be in the open and don't have 'easy outs' like Dead Hard is never satisfying.

And even when I play her, yeah - sometimes it's nice to make dirtbag survivors eat those flashy clicks from earlier. But hopping on someone while they can't do anything - taking them down in under 10 seconds... it feels scummy.

Scummy thing is my opinion.

But the fact that the nurse can reliably execute such feats is what makes it less satisfying and more annoying on both sides.

• AsherFrost
    AsherFrost Member Posts: 2,340
    edited April 2022

In an open field, survivors are pretty much screwed no matter who the killer is. I mean, there's a reason all the walls and jungle gyms exist. The idea that nurse is somehow overpowered because she, like every other killer, has an advantage when the survivor is out of position like that is more than a little ridiculous

• Valik

No other killer can cross an open field, hit a survivor, then re-acquire them with a final hit within the span of 5-6 seconds.

Even other high mobility killers such as Blight or spirit cannot boast this. Trap based killers such as Trapper or Hag can only in very specific circumstances where their traps are triggered.

Getting hit by a killer in the open gives you a speed boost - which gives you distance. Even if the killer closes it, you can make it to a jungle gym. But not if they teleport behind you and unsheathe katana while whispering 'Nothing personnel, Entity."

The point is not at all about positioning - but also, in truth, she can reliably accomplish this with minor assistance.

Hit someone by the stairs in Midwich, hear them go upstairs - see their aura perhaps. Nothing they can do. Normal killers would need significant foresight, luck, preparation, or blind coincidence to have them run into a trap or next to a generator you're teleporting to as Demo-dog or Freddy.

Nurse, you just look up and press the button for 1.5 seconds to be on top of them again.

You accuse me of straw manning, but you're intentionally ignoring the raw power of the Nurse's skill to try and prove a point.

• syain
    syain Member Posts: 440

People refuse to learn how to play against her because they have this notion they get from others (mostly influencers such as youtubers and streamers) that she's broken. She's not. People need to stop treating her like every other killer, I've lost count of how many times people tried to LOOP me as Nurse. Of course it's gonna be frustrating if you don't know what you're doing. I'd say people need to adapt if she was a new killer but she's been around since year 1, at this point they're just being stubborn.

• IlliterateGenocide
    IlliterateGenocide Member Posts: 6,016

The whole purpose of nurse is to screw over further balance and make it so bhvr wont give killers stronger perks.

• Alphasoul05
    Alphasoul05 Member Posts: 601
    edited April 2022

This game has far more players than it used to and most people simply never learned how to play against a Nurse. They don't want to learn, they want to yell she's unbeatable, even though every "god tier Nurse" out there is just as mediocre as they are at survivor. It's hard if they're good and you're not SWF, but can be hard in general. People don't want to learn how to waste enough of a Nurse's time that they'll lose if you spread out on gens and each run her just long enough. Harder still if they tunnel and you've no BT/DS.

While survivors were still potatoes 4-5 years ago, a pool of 10k players and a small playerbase that often ran into the same players at R1 had far more quality, and skill, of survivors who knew how to play against a Nurse as much as the Nurse could play that killer. Granted, there were things like vacuum pallets

• MigrantTheGreat
    MigrantTheGreat Member Posts: 1,379

Here's your number 1 problem. You said "CONSISTENTLY" or in other words "How can I always have the 51% advantage no matter what the killer does?"

It's called "PvP" where your suppose to gamble your tactics to outplay your player opponent until they adjust and so on.

A lot of people like to back juke nurse to force her to over blink and it does work.., until she starts doing shorter blinks so you can back juke into her bonesaw.

She just wasted her first blink and I'm in the middle of the shack and she can't see me. Since I'm closer to the window I should vault the window. Hold on wait! If I'm closer to the window she'll be expecting me to vault, I should just go for the pallet exit.., or I can stand here walking away from the window and pallet because ik she isn't going to be able to blink this far.

You see what I'm getting at? It's called using your brain, or as I like to say "PvP". But of course I'm a retired nurse main, so ik and understand how a Nurse thinks.

• MigrantTheGreat
    MigrantTheGreat Member Posts: 1,379

For starters: I'm a retired nurse main

Secondly: I don't play DBD anymore

Third: Only reason why I defend is because she's one of the last killers that

1. Makes the game feel like PvP

2. Keeps the killer community alive and rewards her players for playing well and not winning because she has to entirely depend on survivors mistakes

Fourth: You say you blame BHVR for nurse being in her broken state (which is false imo), but who are you going to point a finger at when all killers get nerfed to where it's no longer satisfying to play as them?

• AsherFrost
    edited April 2022

I can do it with 2 hatchets on Huntress, just gotta lead the target a bit with the 2nd one. In fact I've done that several times, hell even on my main shocky boi, if I catch you in the open, you're toast. Yeah, you may just make a pallet, meanwhile I'm right behind you building bloodlust, and unless you used DH to get there, am about to get the first speed boost from it.

Blight can as well, while there is a speed boost, it's not so significant that a ranged or high mobility killer can't allow for it. And aura reading isn't something that is only available on nurse.

I Will agree though, trapper and hag are both virtually useless unless their traps are triggered, but again I hardly see that as evidence of an issue with the nurse.

• PlaysByShady
    PlaysByShady Member Posts: 590

In an open field, survivors are very, very easy to blink to.

Yeah... and chase down with every other killer.

How many open fields are on The Game, Midwich, Lerys, etc?

It's simple. If you're playing Nurse, don't go into the field. Same as if you're playing against a Trapper, you check windows etc for traps.

But going from healthy to downed just because you happen to be in the open and don't have 'easy outs' like Dead Hard is never satisfying.

But surely you know you're playing Nurse? And there's cover around. You can literally hide. Also, short loops are particularly effective against Nurse because (a) you can run around them faster than she can, and (b) it forces her to blink correctly, at the risk of under-blinking and going nowhere, or over-blinking and being further away, both of which are exceptionally punishing.

Again, sounds to me like bad survivor play. It's not a foregone conclusion that just because a survivor is in the open that they're down, and even if they are, some killers get that because of their power. If a Legion catches you all together, chances are that's 4 injures, and now possibly even a down for free. You're just describing their power whilst making no attempt to counter-play against it.

• Valik

Reliably.

And no, I'm sorry, but especially in the midwich example, you cannot do this with another killer.

Again, you are literally trying to make-believe away that the Nurse has, quantifiably, the most powerful ability in the game - which circumvents the conventional utilities of a trial.

• AsherFrost
    edited April 2022

As reliably as I can aim, which after playing a lot more 1st person shooters on console, is pretty reliable... Certainly much better than the times I've tried to play nurse and consistently over or under blinked, letting the survivor get away scot free.

Midwitch has a large open field now? Are we talking the same Midwitch? The one that's literally just hallways, small rooms full of broken furniture and a small courtyard full of shrubs and garden walls?

Yes. Nurse has a very unique power that lets her handle loops more efficiently and even go through walls... I've never denied that. That doesn't make your terrible examples any less terrible. Nurse is strong, but even with practiced nurse mains, she's not unbeatable, we've literally thousands of hours worth of footage showing that. Her steep learning curve, added to the mind game that is required to use her power effectively, have kept her on the bottom of the kill rankings for a reason (even with the many, many survivors who have stated they DC/suicide on hook immediately against her, which would raise that percentage).

Perhaps if you spent some time playing as nurse, you would better understand the built in limitations of her power, and just how easy it is for survivors to get her to slip, even with aura reading perks. If you're just running away in a straight line and dropping pallets like she's trapper, then yeah, you're going to have a bad time. However if you pay attention to your surroundings, work the jukes and double back on yourself at the right time (comes with practice) she becomes the most fun killer to face. (Seriously one of my favorite things in this game is the rush you get after making a nurse blink past you)

• woundcowboy

Your example is completely incorrect and shows that you don’t understand how she works. In that situation (which i’ve been in numerous times) Nurse has no way of knowing what you will do. You can choose one of multiple directions to run in once you’re up, or you can double back down the stairs. If you double back and nurse thought you would keep running, she is now massively out positioned.

• AsherFrost
    edited April 2022

"You accuse me of straw manning, but you're intentionally ignoring the raw power of the Nurse's skill to try and prove a point."

Just to note, I went back and read my replies to you, and at no point did I ever accuse you of making a straw man argument... In fact until you said that I had made that accusation, the thought hadn't even crossed my mind. I do find myself wondering now if you are intentionally making bad faith arguments though, since you seem so overly eager to defend against the (nonexistent) accusations of the same.

• Sumnox
    Sumnox Member Posts: 605

She's absolutely pointless and boring to play against. 90% of my matches are nurses. Putting aside how boring she is, if you're somewhat competent as her (and it's really not that hard), she has virtually no counterplay. And that's extremely boring.