The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Is DBD in Killer or Survivors favor?

Edilibs
Edilibs Member Posts: 699
edited November 2018 in General Discussions

I want to share that upon the first few months of playing DBD I thought that the game was in Killers favor. Now that i've played the game more and understand it alot better, this game is in THE SURVIVORS favor!!!

75% of the maps are in Survivors favor. Hadonfield, Swamp, The Family Residence, and all Cornfield maps are just too hard for Killer to be consistent on them. Survivors end game is better than Killers. Survivors have Adrenaline and Borrowed Time while Killers have NOED and Blood Warden (which should be better btw) Players are getting better at looping and although there are no infinites there are very strong loops with The Cow loop and that loop near one of the corners at Macmillan Estate being a few.

Survivors have DS, Lithe, Balanced, Sprint Burst, We'll Make It etc. Its hard for Killers. It is what it is, im just saying. I did research on the game and i know it used to be alot worse (lol @ Self Care back then)

Comments

• Watery
    Watery Member Posts: 1,167
    PiiFree said:

It's pretty balanced at the moment so from a totally non biased point of view, I'd say it's in favor of the somewhat intelligent and skilled players.

Both sides are very easy to play because most players lack these things.

^This. People finally understand that both sides are fairly easy to play, but have different depths of play depending upon how invested you are.
  • Edilibs

@ShyN3ko said:
    Survivor-favored.
    Because survivors have tons of informations and the killer has no informations.
    And they made some bad gameplay designs.

Example:
    The Pig doesnt see the reverse beartrap timer, but the survivor see it and hear it.

Your right about that! Hey, that would be a good buff for Pig. She's my alternate so im always trying to find ways to be the most cheap with her. What else would you suggest so that she gets buffed to Myers, Clown Billy tier? What set do you run? Right now Im running Sloppy Butcher, BBQ & Chili, Hex The Third Seal and Nurses Calling. I think her Red add ons are horrible, I will never use them.

• BigBadPiggy
    BigBadPiggy Member Posts: 678

I feel like it matters how good you are at the game. Overly good/bad players will tend to beg for buffs and nerfs. Sometime the nerfs and buffs are necessary but other times it's because the player isn't good enough or are too good at the game.

• George_Soros
    George_Soros Member Posts: 2,270
    @Edilibs You summarized it quite correctly. Like others pointed out, it's better than ever (balancewise), even though it's still a tiny bit more survivor friendly. It has to be: the great challenge and conundrum the devs have to face is how to get almost four times as many people to play survivor as killer. They have limited options, so making survivors easier is one of the few ways to achieve this. (The other attraction is SWF, which is also necessary, regardless how much some killers hate this feature.)

That said, if you have a calm personality and if you relish a challenge, killer can be a lot of fun. Some people can't take it. Some break. Some give up. Some fall into the bottomless pit of victimhood mentality and keep crying for the devs' help. But my prediction is, the devs cannot risk going further, lest they risk the ire of survivors. And they shouldn't: not everyone is prepared emotionally for the stress of playing killer. It's natural selection, in a way.
  • Edilibs

@George_Soros said:
    @Edilibs You summarized it quite correctly. Like others pointed out, it's better than ever (balancewise), even though it's still a tiny bit more survivor friendly. It has to be: the great challenge and conundrum the devs have to face is how to get almost four times as many people to play survivor as killer. They have limited options, so making survivors easier is one of the few ways to achieve this. (The other attraction is SWF, which is also necessary, regardless how much some killers hate this feature.)

That said, if you have a calm personality and if you relish a challenge, killer can be a lot of fun. Some people can't take it. Some break. Some give up. Some fall into the bottomless pit of victimhood mentality and keep crying for the devs' help. But my prediction is, the devs cannot risk going further, lest they risk the ire of survivors. And they shouldn't: not everyone is prepared emotionally for the stress of playing killer. It's natural selection, in a way.

So in my experience I HAVE gotten frustrated but I also welcome good challenges and I know all the annoying and frustrating things Survivors do will get me better at the game overall. I really like to see and understand peoples opinions which is why im here in the first place. The dev's got the right marketing idea like you said because you need to appease more to the Survivor players than the Killers and as a Killer main when you 3 or 4K its a rewarding type of feeling because of what you have to go through.

I used to have difficulty against Survivors that 360 and THAT used to frustrate me because I didnt know how to stop it, now I do. One thing i learned in DBD is that "whiffing" is not good! Just one whiff end game and a Survivor can escape. Precision and timing is that vital. One whiff on a Survivor can lead into a minute or two loop chase and or 1-2 gens getting done so you really dont want to whiff in this game. Its true though that you can have Unrelenting and the consequences wont be as bad depending on the situation.

• ShyN3ko
    ShyN3ko Member Posts: 1,616

@Edilibs schrieb:

Your right about that! Hey, that would be a good buff for Pig. She's my alternate so im always trying to find ways to be the most cheap with her. What else would you suggest so that she gets buffed to Myers, Clown Billy tier? What set do you run? Right now Im running Sloppy Butcher, BBQ & Chili, Hex The Third Seal and Nurses Calling. I think her Red add ons are horrible, I will never use them.

My Perk Build is:
    -Make a choice
    -Nurse Calling
    -Devour Hope
    -Dying Light(dont ask,i use it always)

Addons:
    Rule No.2 and 1 extra helmet or tampered timer and jigsaw sketch

PS:Sry for my bad english.

• Edilibs

@ShyN3ko said:

@Edilibs schrieb:

My Perk Build is:
    -Make a choice
    -Nurse Calling
    -Devour Hope
    -Dying Light(dont ask,i use it always)

Addons:
    Rule No.2 and 1 extra helmet or tampered timer and jigsaw sketch

PS:Sry for my bad english.

I use Devour Hope sometimes. If i dont use Ruin (which im usually reluctant to use with her) I'll go for Third Seal. Personally I never get the opportunity to use Make Your Choice so i stopped using it. Nice build

• iceman2kx
    iceman2kx Member Posts: 462

I think it's heavily dependent on the map, but over-all, at least in my experience, I think it's in a good spot both killer and survivor. A good killer will wreck survivors and good survivors will wreck a killer. I think there's a few adjustments that need to be made like DS, totem placement, broken add-ons and some useless perks on both sides. Other than that, I'm pretty much enjoying this game.

• George_Soros
    George_Soros Member Posts: 2,270

100% survivor based

And @Edilibs, here you witness a typical "canttakeitanymore" killer attitude.
    Friendlykillermain: yes, it leans towards survivors, but not that much. You gotta understand, BHVR is running a business, I don't they can go any further helping killers than with last patch. And it's ok. Play survivor when you want to relax, and play killer when you want a challenge.

Or play Nurse whenever you just hate everyone and wanna destroy all of them goddamn evil little trolls :)
  • Still survivor on console, especially with the high amount of SWF.

ive been running a new Hag build lately, no BBQ or Ruin, it’s amazing how fast the gens go. 

Piss poor optimization also helps the survivors. Killers have much less room for mistakes and are much more pressed for time. Chasing someone and mind gaming them or timing a swing right to get a sure hit only to be pooped on by a frame crash really screws killers over. It happens to survivors too but not nearly as often and it’s not as damning to survivors.
  • DarkWo1f997
    DarkWo1f997 Member Posts: 1,532
    Depends on the functionality of each player’s brain.   
  • DwightsLifeMatters
    DwightsLifeMatters Member Posts: 1,649
    Against swfs its survivor friendly, but against solos killer friendly. 
  • Tsulan
    Tsulan Member Posts: 15,095
    It depends on the rank.
    20-13 killer favored 
    12-9 balanced 
    8-1 survivor favored
  • DocFabron
    DocFabron Member Posts: 2,410
    It honestly just depends.

SWF death squads>casual SWF & killer>solo is from what I've gathered thus far.
  • nemeios
    nemeios Member Posts: 36

SWF -> Survivor based
    Random survivor for first time since I've played I'd say its ALMOST balanced with some terrible things like FOV on PS4 because how it makes sense that a survivor can run to you and he'll be invisible?

No way a survivor running to you should be a valid tactic (this only works at ps4)

anyway I'd say its close to be balanced other than weak killers like freddy that need buffs or rework

• Mister_xD
    Mister_xD Member Posts: 7,669

this is a very hard question to answer actually, as the game, especially if you are new or just not that good of a player, will seem very killersided to you.
    but the more you improve, this game will first seem balanced and then making a 180° turn from the beginning, to being very survivorsided.
    the longer you play and the higher you get in rank, this issue will show itself more and more.
    the simple problem is, imo, the map design, as survivors have all the tools they need in order to be literally untouchable for the killer. yet, this is very rare to see, as many people are not in that state atm.

• redsopine01
    redsopine01 Member Posts: 1,269
    It's becoming more skill based but still more to survivor side
  • LightsOut88
    LightsOut88 Member Posts: 123
    DBD is currently at its best form. Nice to see it becoming more skill based :) 
  • Rebel_Raven
    Rebel_Raven Member Posts: 1,775

It's tilting heavily towards survivor favored now that the new match making system supposedly camouflages SWFS better, and is going to make them harder to dodge.

• Fenix
    Fenix Member Posts: 13

Can somebody tell me how its surv baised?
    Because im R2, and its horrible, every game is a 3k or a 4k.
    Is it the SWF groups or platform?
    And when do you count it win as a killer? For me its 3k.

• Trollthem
    Trollthem Member Posts: 186

Survivors can voice chat , so survivors are in favor in this game .

• The_Crusader
    The_Crusader Member Posts: 3,688
    edited November 2018
    It depends on the killer you're using.

Top tier killers = killer favoured.

Low tier killers = Survivor favoured.

Also I find some of the maps, perks and 3-4 man swf tilts in survivor favour. Like if you get a 4 man swf on coldwind all with decisive, adrenaline, borrowed time etc
  • Edilibs

@DwightsLifeMatters said:
    Against swfs its survivor friendly, but against solos killer friendly. 

I don't agree. Solo DBD is not in the Killers favor still

• Edilibs

@Trollthem said:
    Survivors can voice chat , so survivors are in favor in this game .

SWF is not skillful at all and doesn't represent the depth of DBD imo. Yeah its not realistic to let another Survivor know what's going on around them, they do not have communication devices.

• SnakeSound222
    SnakeSound222 Member Posts: 4,467

Survivor favored. Gens go by really fast and it is still easy to loop Killers. How are your anti-healing strategies supposed to work if Survivors keep looping you? You are forced to either keep chasing the Survivor and hope that you can get that hit in before too many gens have been completed or disengage and have to find a healthy Survivor and hope that they don't loop you long enough for the rest of the gens to be completed.

• Edilibs
    edited November 2018

@SnakeSound222 said:
    Survivor favored. Gens go by really fast and it is still easy to loop Killers. How are your anti-healing strategies supposed to work if Survivors keep looping you? You are forced to either keep chasing the Survivor and hope that you can get that hit in before too many gens have been completed or disengage and have to find a healthy Survivor and hope that they don't loop you long enough for the rest of the gens to be completed.

Right. Or....abandon the chase and or God loops to stop the gen objectives. There are more than a few loops where you as the smart Killer must abandon because its too hard to get the hit. If a chase goes on for a duration of time and the Survivor goes to yet another loop the Killer will in most cases go the other way thus abandoning that chase because its not worth it.
    I also stopped chasing Decisive players

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675

@Edilibs said:

@SnakeSound222 said:

Right. Or....abandon the chase and or God loops to stop the gen objectives. There are more than a few loops where you as the smart Killer must abandon because its too hard to get the hit. If a chase goes on for a duration of time and the Survivor goes to yet another loop the Killer will in most cases go the other way thus abandoning that chase because its not worth it.

So you agree it's Survivor-favored, since despite being the supposedly weaker role in this asymmetrical game, they can effectively force the supposedly stronger role to leave them alone.

• Edilibs

@Orion said:

@Edilibs said:

@SnakeSound222 said:

So you agree it's Survivor-favored, since despite being the supposedly weaker role in this asymmetrical game, they can effectively force the supposedly stronger role to leave them alone.

Of course it is! That's what i said in the initial topic. Its hard for Killer man! )

• DarkWo1f997
    DarkWo1f997 Member Posts: 1,532
    ShyN3ko said:

Survivor-favored.

Example:
    The Pig doesnt see the reverse beartrap timer, but the survivor see it and hear it.

Again, why are fellow pig “mains” complaining about invisible timers when we CAN’T SEE THROUGH THE GRASS. WHY ISN’T ANYONE FOCUSING ON THE PART THAT MAKES HER ANNOYING TO PLAY? THE GRASS IN MY FACE MAKES SNEAKING POINTLESS. I CAN’T SEE ANYTHING. SURELY I’M NOT THE ONLY PERSON THAT RECOGNIZES THIS? HELLO? NOBODY? OKAY. 
  • Speshul_Kitten
    Speshul_Kitten Member Posts: 1,861
    ShyN3ko said:

Survivor-favored.

Example:

Yeah the Killer has no preparation time 60 seconds in advance, has no idea who his obsession is, what characters are playing and items they’re bringing in. Furthermore the Killer cannot determine where the generators are or any of the exit gates. Actually I think the Killer has all that information. You just proved you’re heavily Killer sided 😉 
  • Speshul_Kitten
    Depends on the functionality of each player’s brain.   
    This 100% 
  • Speshul_Kitten
    Also also this seems to be the general order

SWF—>Killer————————>....dog #########.......———————>solo survivors
  • Seanzu
    Seanzu Member Posts: 7,526

It honestly depends on how good you are.

You'll see people who are crying all the time on the forum for this and that, they're the bad players.
    Game is super easy for everyone if you put half an effort into it.

• purebalance
    purebalance Member Posts: 661
    edited November 2018

Biggest problem in the game is SWF. Other than that it's fairly balanced slightly survivor favored. SWF however puts it massively in the survivors' favor because they get 7 perks without equipping them and can negate several killer perks and add ons. However, at rank 20-8 it's basically usually you solo vs the killer when you're playing solo because you can't rely on the other people 90% of the time. They are either down with 2 hits in 5 seconds or hiding in a locker.

• purebalance
    purebalance Member Posts: 661

@Speshul_Kitten said:
    ShyN3ko said:

Survivor-favored.

Example:

Yeah the Killer has no preparation time 60 seconds in advance, has no idea who his obsession is, what characters are playing and items they’re bringing in. Furthermore the Killer cannot determine where the generators are or any of the exit gates. Actually I think the Killer has all that information. You just proved you’re heavily Killer sided 😉 

SWF has all of that information as well shared between them within 30 seconds. Also if one of them dies, they know all the killer's perks. You just proved nothing.

• Cymer
    Cymer Member Posts: 946
    edited November 2018

Survivor favor.
    As a survivor I dictate the pase of the game. I decide what gens to do, I can prevent 3 gen endgame.
    I can chose to cleanse annoying totems or prevent noed from taking effect, so the killer plays with 3 Perks.
    I can loop the killer and waste it's time. Thanks to DS, Unbreakable, SB, Adrenaline, DH, SC, safety deliverence, even if I misplay, (yes often the killer gets me by my hickups, rarely outplayed or nurse) I can medigate the consequences and reset the chase. You can even play happy camper sitting in the furthest locker and go for the hatch. Or with the key you say goodbye and gg as soon the hatch spawns.

And don't let me get starting to talk about playing the game with some friends. You can either goofe around or go tryhard and make killers cry. Powerrole pff.

As a killer I am so limited in my options to dictate the pase of the game. I have to rely on their mistakes or to play something that can surprise a survivor to get a hit in, play a power killer like nurse, hillbilly, jumpscare/tombstone Myers, Spirit.
    As a killer I have no power over what the survivors are doing. I can control 3 survivors at max (the chased and hooked one, the one coming for the safe and the one distracting me/I am chasing new) unwise they play stupid, swarm the hook and blame me for "camping" (just maybe don't go all to the hook, take a hit and then try to unhook your friend before my nose...)
    And don't start taking about the endgame as a killer, after all gens are done and the gates are open. Sometimes you wish that the survivors would just leave. Other times is fun pur, when they all die trying to safe the one hooked friend.

I am aware that 60% of the survivors die, but they die mostly trough own misplay.
    5 skilled players at same level (4 survivors 1 killer) my money is on the survivors.

• Speshul_Kitten

@Speshul_Kitten said:
    ShyN3ko said:

Survivor-favored.

Example:

SWF has all of that information as well shared between them within 30 seconds. Also if one of them dies, they know all the killer's perks. You just proved nothing.

That applies to comms ONLY, what I said applies to EVERY killer. You just proved nothing.
  • Cymer
    Cymer Member Posts: 946
    edited November 2018

Survivor favor.
    As a survivor I dictate the pase of the game. I can decide what gens get done and prevent the 3 gen endgame.
    I can cleanse annoying totems and preventing NOED to take effect in the first place. So basically I decide that the killer only plays with 3 perks and I get some extra BP on top of it. (2 or less perks if he runs Ruin and someone spawns right next to it or it is right next to a gen)
    Even if the killer finds me, I can loop, use pallets, break line of sight and reset bloodlust (even if the killer knows where I am, if I am not "visible" on his screen bloodlust goes down. SB helps to run away and if I misplay and get caught, I still can use DS. If I get slugged Unbreakable, Safety Deliverence is fun too, wait to unhook someone else and then you can just sit on top of the killer with no consequences for you. There are so many ways to reset the chase. As a survivor I even can decide when the game ends. All gens done, totems cleansed. Everyone off the hook. Every chest looted. Killer has no Franklin so you just wait at the gate for the last extra BP.
    You can even win the game by doing almost nothing.
    Just hide in the furthest locker and wait for the hatch to open and then go for it or take the key, and as soon the hatch spawns it's goodbye and gg.

The killer has to patrolling the gens, totems, hooks, chest, gates and hatch. If he can't down you fast enough, he just wastes time and lose points. As a killer I have to rely on their bad play.
    If all players are equally in skill and level, survivors should win.

The killer has no perk similar to DH or DS.
    Just think of a perk that would let you hit someone, after you would have missed, just a free hit. Or that you have an add-on that let's you blind survivors, so they don't see where to run, like a mindblast ability.
    Or a mechanic that let's you deactivate certain gens for 180s unless they run a specific perk to counter it.

The new survivor should be able to break the hook after he goes off.
    Just think of it. You as a killer did everything right.
    You track down a survivor, chased him down, DH, hit again, pick him up, DS, chase him down again, put him on the hook. He gets off the hook because you are not a camper and are chasing someone else on the other side of the map, and now you lose a hook and have to start the chase again. But this time it gets easier for the survivor, because there is one less hook, so you slugging him in the end...just to find out he also runs Unbreakable.

Edit. I forget about playing with SWF. The game balance is out of the window. You get so much information, can run. specific perks to synergies and you decide if you just want to goofe around and have a fun time or go tryhard and make killers cry.