Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

Here’s why Boon Totems need a rework with my rough proposal

WishIcouldmain
WishIcouldmain Member Posts: 4,082
edited April 2022 in General Discussions

At first I thought it was only COH being so strong even OP against certain killers. Then I realized the flaw in the whole design of constant resets mean the Boon perk will either be like COH super oppressive or like the other ones situational like Shadow Step or Exponential or just flat out trash perk like Dark Theory. So I believe the mechanic needs to be changed to where they can have super strong affects but they can’t be reset right away like with tokens or cooldown to make them more in line with Hexes and bigger emphasis on trying to find good Boon spots that’s the rough idea might change it a little.

Post edited by WishIcouldmain on

Comments

• ThatOneDemoPlayer
    ThatOneDemoPlayer Member Posts: 5,623

The point of Boons was to create a 'Tug-Of-War' type of gameplay, but most of them aren't that good and aren't worth going out of your way to snuff them.

Just a thought but a base-kit version of Inner Healing and Pentimento would do a better job than Boons, as that'd me a base-kit mechanic, and not something that cam be brought into The Trial optionally

• drsoontm
    drsoontm Member Posts: 4,595

I agree they need some change and that their current state will make them either OP or trash.

I'm not sure if the fix is to allow to break the bones, to break the power or to use some kind of token or charges.

• sizzlingmario4
    sizzlingmario4 Member Posts: 6,707

Completely agree. I’ve been saying this for a while that nerfing COH to a point where it’s no longer an issue likely means it won’t be good anymore, which will put it with the other boons that just aren’t good enough to be worth using most of the time but also can’t be buffed without being broken. The boon totem mechanic is flawed at a fundamental level and is “balanced” by the perks not being that good minus COH.

Personally, I think the killer needs to be able to break totems, as this would also solve the issue of unlimited verticality (eg. ironworks main building totems) since it would no longer be nearly as big of a deal if the killer had a more permanent counterplay option. Each boon perk would then need to be rebalanced one by one to be good. I think you could even give the killer the option between snuffing like they can now or breaking it which takes longer but then that totem can never be used again.

• Exelero
    Exelero Member Posts: 22

yes yes and yes there are tons of ideas to make coh less strong but reasonable and effective but you know bhvr dont do that and if they do how survivors gonna cry about it and bhvr takes back the nerf or rework.

• Seraphor
    Seraphor Member Posts: 9,207

Inner Healing: 14s to cleanse a totem = ONE heal. Five heals max per game, for one player.

CoH: 14s = unlimited healing, requires killer to go out of their way to counter, can be reset infinitely.

Even IF boons were destroyed when snuffed, they'd STILL be OP.