We deployed a fix to solve an issue preventing players from unhooking, healing or picking up Survivors. Players will need to reboot to see the change reflected in-game. Thank you for your patience!

Player names

I'm trying to remember something from awhile ago...

I seem to recall that when I started playing DbD, that as you stood around the campfire as a survivor, you used to be able to see the killer... or am I losing my mind?

Anyway, regarding the topic title... Why is it the Killer is able to see Survivor names but not vice versa? I keep seeing salty survivor vids on YT where they're saying the killer is stream sniping them. (Which makes no sense due to most streaming sites having a 20-40+s delay).

Wouldn't it make sense to err on the side of caution and just not have the killer see player names? Because you know there's no way people are gonna stop putting TTV or YT on their names.

Comments

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,775

I wouldn't mind it.

It'd remove my ability to see when my fan club is in the game with me, so I couldn't dodge them but I guess that's a small thing.

A lot of the bad snipers use cheating software to snipe too, so that wouldn't really help at all in those cases.

• Xyvielia
    Xyvielia Member Posts: 2,415

Console players have a tendency to get shafted due to names, as they cannot change it whenever they want w/o paying.

Survivors leave when they see names of players in lobby that they don’t want to play with, for whatever reason (personal vendetta, had a bad match, DC’s, possible SWF they don’t want to be paired with, etc.)... and killers do exactly the same, or at least have the ability to leave at the sight of potentially unappealing matches connected to names.

Just remove the names, altogether.

They don’t need to be there;

aside from often: some trope, or attempt at colorful humor to stand out or send a message.

If MMR is as supreme as devs pat themselves on the back for it supposedly being, then the matches will be fair and justified, regardless.

The constant lobby leaving by survivors and killers would drastically reduce, due to players only leaving if they see certain items/cosmetics/characters they aren’t pleased with, and we can all get on with our games w/o waiting longer and longer as multiple players continually opt for a new group.

It is certainly one of the overlooked, unfair (seemingly trivial) bias in the game.

• Mandy
    Mandy Administrator, Dev, Community Manager Posts: 22,849

I don't believe there was ever a time where you could actually see the killer...you did used to be able to see the players Steam profile and then make a guess from there as to what character they were playing.

I personally would be all for removing player names from the lobbies, so that neither side can see the profile of the other.

And one thing re streaming sites, Twitch for example is pretty instant, there's less than a 1s delay from what happens in game to what you see as a viewer - they have something called low latency mode, regular latency is around 3s for me without using this mode. Also, Stream Sniping is against Twitch (and most platforms) ToS.

• IlliterateGenocide
    IlliterateGenocide Member Posts: 6,008

I would like to see the killers name and ping if possible, I do not liking playing games with ttv if I can help it.

• selflessnea
    selflessnea Member Posts: 565

Personally I wouldn't care if they hid the names. I would be slightly saddened by the fact that now when I get matched with someone again at late night ques we wouldn't to be hyped about it. On that note I do think survivors should still see there teammates names so pregame chat ,while rare, can be simple.

As for stream sniping, unfortunately it is a necessary evil if you want to promote yourself while gaming. While I don't agree with stream sniping it's going to happen despite streaming site TOS. If you want to make it less likely to be stream sniped don't put ttv in your name. If you do put ttv in your name then you are advertising hey come watch me.