The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Are the Prime Skins all “Pay for Exclusives”?

agonizing
agonizing Member Posts: 176

my understanding of these skins is that they are time locked and only available to those who pay for an Amazon Prime membership.

I remember Mathieu Cote specifically saying on one of the dev streams that they were moving away from excluding anyone from content as his reasoning for time locking skins such as legacy.

I know the steps for achieving legacy were different (I have 11 pieces myself), but it falls under the same circumstance, if you’re not there to earn/buy it, you won’t have access to it.

Does this mean either legacy will return or these skins will be “earnable” later?

Comments

• ShinobuSK
    ShinobuSK Member Posts: 5,279

Yes

• IlliterateGenocide
    IlliterateGenocide Member Posts: 6,016

I mean, I wont say MOST people own prime

But a HUGE amount of people do

• gendoss
    gendoss Member Posts: 2,270

Yeah they're just straight up lying about the exclusive stuff. They've made a lot of exclusive cosmetics since then like the lunar new year event skins and of course the twitch skins.

However they've done some really dumb things like giving out the meg deathgarden mask even though you had to pay for another game to get that. They haven't given away the bloodletting shirt and their reason for that is that it was paid... It's very inconsistent.

• katoptris
    katoptris Member Posts: 3,142

Legacy isn't coming back

• Tiufal
    Tiufal Member Posts: 1,252

You have one month to pay in prime to get that cosmetic. If thats exclusive, its a kinda weird definition.

• MojoTheFabulous
    MojoTheFabulous Member Posts: 2,015

The Deathgarden masks actually ended up being free when the game ended up being free.

• YOURFRIEND
    YOURFRIEND Member Posts: 3,389

I only play Kate, so the skins mean very little to me.

• gendoss
    gendoss Member Posts: 2,270

Not by their choice. They set it up so if you owned the game it gave it to you but when it became free they couldn't change it.

• shalo
    shalo Member Posts: 1,520

"Explore the Fog in style with exclusive Dead by Daylight cosmetics and offers, only for Prime members."

Sounds pretty exclusive, I have no problem with that.

• Aurelle
    Aurelle Member Posts: 3,611

Not sure if they're going to be exclusive or not, considering certain cosmetics that were exclusive before became available for everyone.

However, I don't think the Prime skins aren't worth it. The cosmetics seems kind of lazily put together and rushed. Not to mention that Artist's Prime skins should've just been available in the game store, considering she didn't receive green rarity cosmetics on her release like every other original killer did.

• humanbeing1704
    humanbeing1704 Member Posts: 8,956
    edited May 2022

To be fair it's only a one time thing but you can get a free trial of prime to get the skins

That's how I got the last batch

• Valik
    Valik Member Posts: 1,274

BHVR likely signed a contract with Amazon to provide them with content for Prime Gaming.

I don't think the developers really like this deal, but they are really hurting for player retention (as seen with the BP events, constant sales, etc.) so I can understand that they saw this as a necessary tradeoff to encourage Prime customers (Of which there are many) to return to the game, even if it's only to log in to redeem their content.

• Starrseed
    Starrseed Member Posts: 1,774

I would be totally OK with them bringing a recolor of the prime skins later to the shop cause it doesn't matter how you paid for it if it's just bought. But legacy or skins for chalanges is another thing that stuff should be locked there is nothing worse then achieving something and getting a reward just for other people to get that same reward later for free / money

• Kira4Evr
    Kira4Evr Member Posts: 2,025

Technically you can get all of them for free.

• Hoodied
    Hoodied Member Posts: 13,018
    edited May 2022

Legacy isn't returning as that was a gift to people that had to deal with the old old grind of DBD, so i'd rather them keep that

But for everything else, they'll come eventually

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 16,046

Even if you have to pay for it, you can just grab Prime for one month. Would still be cheaper than most Cosmetics released in the In-Game Store.

• bm33
    bm33 Member Posts: 8,152

I have a feeling either they'll put them in store for auric cells later on or they'll atleast have recolors available.

I'm playing AC Valhalla and they've done 2 Amazon Prime exclusives. Both of them have shown up randomly at a time limited vendor that you use rare in game currency to buy items. BHVR could have a different contract but I think these exclusives are more of a those with Prime get early access to the cosmetics.

• AnchorTea
    AnchorTea Member Posts: 1,019

Kinda wish they did. It could show how committed you are to a character.

• katoptris
    katoptris Member Posts: 3,142

That why it exclusive to those who dealt with the old grind. I don't have it either but I rather it stay exclusive.