If you were affected by the Grade Reset Bloodpoints not being awarded properly, you will receive any missing Bloodpoints shortly. You may need to restart your game for the rewards to appear. Thank you for your patience!

So if prestige is beeing "reworked" why not renaming it aswell? I mean its not a prestige anymore

Options
BenZ0
BenZ0 Member Posts: 4,125
edited May 2022 in General Discussions

Since call of duty was kinda the first game that introduced this mechanic it has been always used as a "reset your progress to gain bragging material". Dbd is not the first game that also copied prestige system.

It has been always known for that, since dbd also took it 1 by 1 and NOW is changing it to help out the grinding which is nice and all the devs should then rename it to something else. Cuz it is not a prestige anymore at this point.

I am also not making my own ketchup and then changing the recipe to mayonnaise and still call it ketchup.

Comments

• BenZ0
    Options

They also renamed the ranks to grades, what harm would this now do? Not requesting for a whole new game here, some dev goes in the gamefiles and types in a different name. It isnt also really a complain, it seems you are here abit sensetive.

• jesterkind
    jesterkind Member Posts: 7,040
    Options

I don't think resetting the progress is the important part of the Prestige concept. Personally, I'd say the bragging rights is about hitting the level cap and going over it, which is still maintained with the updates.

• Seanzu
    Seanzu Member Posts: 7,526
    Options

This is absolutely a complaint, especially given your little analogy at the end and comparing it to cod.

Ranks were renamed from ranks because they aren't what ranked you, prestige is whatever the developers wants it to mean, whether that's resetting, like even now prestige on CoD is literally earning challenges and then your prestige goes up, no resetting required.

• BenZ0
    Options

Ye well but again why is it then called like the exact mechanic and also now still works like this exact mechanic like one of the biggest game genres implemented. There is nothing wrong with using ideas of different games, especially something as big and known as prestige. Changing the actual mechanic will just be unecessary confusion. Ask a friend of you that never played dbd and (obviously this person should also be a gamer) tell him dbd has prestige, he will most likely think of the exact same thing of what Call of duty has.

• jesterkind
    jesterkind Member Posts: 7,040
    Options

I think you're overestimating how much people know about specific CoD mechanics, in general. I doubt any of my gamer friends could tell me what CoD's Prestige mechanic does, or even give me a unified single answer on what Prestige is in a video game, because it's pretty dependant on playing that genre of game.

But that's not really the point. Rather, I'd like to highlight that taking things from other games is absolutely valid, but when you do that, you will inevitably change it. For a lot of games, sure, Prestige is hitting the level cap, going over it, and losing progress. But I don't think it's fair to say it must work like that.

The core of it is still there- you hit the level cap and you keep going. That's the achievement, the losing progress thing is just to emphasise that you're "starting over", it's still a prestige without that.

• BenZ0
    Options

Hm guess we have different ways to view a complaint, I have heared that cold war changed the prestige system, I dont play cold war myself so I am not too familiar with the exact changes. However then my argument would apply the same way there, a big change to something already known should be renamed which has been done to many other things.

Just as you mentioned that the ranking is not ranking anymore so it renamed, the prestige is not prestiging anymore, you are now simply surpassing your level cap, so why not renaming it. Dont really see a big issue here.

If you google for example now prestige meaning you will read the exact thing what I wrote you. It is KNOWN and always referred to to RESET your progress. Prestige even went through a evelution for singleplayer games as new game +.

Same thing here, many ppl know the term new game + as that what we know it... as playing the game again from 0 but you keep some extras from the previous game. If a game would use that term but changes the general concept, ppl will be confused since its not a new game + anymore.

• Mat_Sella
    Mat_Sella Member Posts: 3,545
    Options

Prestige does not equal resetting progress.

Prestige only means you've reached the next rank of progression.

• BenZ0
    Options

Ye you are right, it depends on the person aswell.

However I am going here with a simple way you know. Go google prestige and you will see everywhere that it is known and states as a reset system of your progress. In the end its not really a huge deal but I never really made it up as one tbh, I just wanted to point this out.

• BenZ0
    Options

You can also view it as that I agree, however the majority of games who uses that system always used it as an reset of your progression, now at the newer times of games prestige is beeing slowly used and changed to a "further" progression as you mention here. However we still have a huge bunch of games that still use the old concept, and therefore it would be easier to just call it something else or similar since it is not the same anymore.

• BenZ0
    Options

Exactly that, especially older generation players know prestige as a reset for extra grind mechanic, not as an progression mechanic.