Hitboxes Are Still A Problem...

iifreyja123
iifreyja123 Member Posts: 5
edited May 2022 in General Discussions

Good afternoon everyone! This might be a lengthy post so please bare with me.

I have been playing DBD since around 2016 on my brother's PC but got my own game in 2017, around when it was available for the Xbox. I always enjoyed the game in a way I haven't enjoyed other games. I was always following the release of new killers/survivors, and eagerly waiting for the next updates

However, somewhere between this time, hitboxes became a big issue for me and made the game less enjoyable. Sure, some of it can be rooted to bad ping and connection, which I thought was on my end when crossplay was introduced. I since switched to PC since my console was just not doing it for me (bad resolution/saturdation from my TV, FOV, etc). However, the clear resolution on my PC only highlights the disparity of the current hitbox system.

I'll perform a 360 and still get smacked when I'm behind the killer and the blade goes right past me (noticeable specifically with Oni and his downwards blade swing). I'll get smacked by hatchets when I'm well behind a wall, or crouching behind something like a crate. I can see my character's blood splatter in mid-air, especially when running sideways trying to dodge hatches. In characters like Claudette or Feng, it's very surprising to see my hitbox is still the size of a character like David or Tapp.

That being said, this has been an issue for awhile now and I remember people in the community talking about it years ago, but the devs have done nothing to fix it and slowly I saw the complaints die out. I think a big reason why people don't find this game enjoyable, and why it has much less players than before (there was an almost 20,000 player drop since September of 2021), is because of the hitboxes and matchmaking, as well as other core issues.

A solution would be to change hitboxes to the size of the character, as well as correlating it for the size of the killer's weapon. I shouldn't be getting hit through windows by the Legion's tiny knife. Even when I play killer, I notice I'll be landing hits I shouldn't be landing, and it takes the fun out of my competitive attitude when I don't feel deserving of the down I just got.

Thanks for taking the time to read this :) Have a good day,

Post edited by iifreyja123 on

Comments

• Brimp
    Brimp Member Posts: 2,926

Its not hitboxes. Its bhvrs dollar store servers having a noticeable de-sync even with the best internet known to man.

• MrMori
    MrMori Member Posts: 1,509

I notice you have never mentioned how it feels from the killers perspective. I suggest playing killer before jumping to conclusions about the hitboxes feeling unfair as survivor, as you then may get perspective of what feels fair and what doesn't to the killer.

• iifreyja123
    edited May 2022

"I shouldn't be getting hit through windows by the Legion's tiny knife. Even when I play killer, I notice I'll be landing hits I shouldn't be landing, and it takes the fun out of my competitive attitude when I don't feel deserving of the down I just got."

Also, I play killer and survivor equally. However, this isn't a killer issue overall, which is why I mention very little of the killer's perspective. At the end of the day, the killer is meant to be a challenge for survivors because they are stronger than the survivors themselves. When the game rides on 3 strikes and you're out, it's very unfair to not only get hit when you definitely shouldn't have been, but on top of it playing against an opponent that is already at an advantage. There are endgame factors that go into it to. You're on last hook and looping the killer and about to escape, and suddenly they land a blow that definitely shouldn't have landed. It's upsetting.

I'm in no way saying the killer should be nerfed, but the core mechanics of the game need to be fixed so killers don't feel as if it's too "easy", and survivors don't feel like the game is impossible to win.

• MrMori
    MrMori Member Posts: 1,509

Right didn't read that. Well from a technical standpoint, it would be extremely hard to balance the game around different reaches for the weapons. Then you'd have to somehow make killers with shorter weapons fast enough to be able to catch survivors and hit them in loops at the same time as killers with longer reach, and that just isn't feasible. I think the solution here is to just acknowledge that the animations look wonky, but know and accept that the range is the same on every killer, for balance reasons.

• iifreyja123

I feel like it's also hitboxes though--all characters have the same hitbox despite being smaller or larger, which means if you're Claudette, you have the same hitbox as David and will get hit as if you're playing David.

• Brimp
    Brimp Member Posts: 2,926

I mean... dont you think its more fair that you have the same hitbox while playing a character thats smaller and can blend in?

• iifreyja123
    edited May 2022

That's all dependent on your playstyle. I personally don't do stealth/blendette playstyle, and I play a bunch of different characters. Sure it's good for someone who won't get found all game, but when it comes down to getting chased or if that stealth player needs to save someone from the hook and put themselves out there, it becomes a problem. Fixing the core mechanics of the game is the only solution tbh, rather than not expecting someone to play a certain way because the mechanics are bad.

Also, when you're trying to distract the killer so your team can get gens done, and you get hit when you shouldn't have and are now on the hook, your team then has to stop their gen progress to save you when it could've been avoided if hitboxes were fair.

• The_Krapper
    The_Krapper Member Posts: 3,259

With this type of game it's damn near impossible to fix that, besides knowing BHVR it would have plenty of unintentional problems that would more than likely leave one side SOL for months waiting on a hotfix