Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

Have you ever played any of the Silent Hill games?

RoboMojo
RoboMojo Member Posts: 1,326
edited June 2022 in Polls

TLDR: I recently started getting into Silent Hill and I'm curious how many of you peeps have played the games.

When the Silent Hill chapter came to DBD in 2020, I initially was somewhat interested but quickly lost that interest and never played them. That remained so, until the song that plays in the intro to the first game popped into my recommended videos recently on Youtube (would include it here but I'm not sure if that'd be allowed). As was excellently put it in the comments of that video:

Needless to say, I absolutely loved it and so I decided to give the first three games a try. From what I've heard, the game's quality started to dip after 3 so I may play 4 but I'm not sure. Anyhow, I just finished the first game a few days ago and I thought it was amazing, even if certain aspects of it haven't aged amazingly. Gonna start 2 soon and then 3 after that. I'm curious as to how many of you have played the games so:

Have you ever played any of the Silent Hill games? 78 votes

Yes, I've played most/all of them.
17%
MrJack20252ArchAbhorJay_WhyaskWampiritaKill_Yr_Idol83Marc_go_soloEve13GRIG0[Deleted User]Marc_123AnxiousRiddleAraphexChikyRedRosesRot 14 votes
Yes, but I've just played the first 3-4 ones.
17%
Slaughterhouse3MrsGhostfaceDBD78tenoresaxcheetocultleadersteponmeadirisdarkcloudlinkPetforcesjaymiechanAyamirbittercranberryKotelettphantomNihilZ0mbiv0r 14 votes
Yes, I've played some in a random order (Which ones?)
12%
TaigaShoobyPSPAnneBonnyAurelleLekitzulvanGlasse1JonathanByersSlingshot47Yepitsme72 10 votes
No, my only exposure to Silent hill is through DBD.
35%
CamoRangerMat_SellaLanzMazoobiPlantCollectorHellraisingPredator[Deleted User]TatariuRavenTheWraithGreyBigfootChurchofPigQwQwGuiltiiDBK1GamerEzraBranfcbThatOneDemoPlayerBennett_They1Them[Deleted User] 28 votes
Other.
15%
Mister_xDanarchy753ValikBenOfMilamdugmanxtr4meFobbon00binatisaggyderpderpAlex_Xendritchspilledthemayo 12 votes

Comments

• dugman
    dugman Member Posts: 9,713
    Other.

I never played the game but I did see the movie (which wasn’t an option in the poll)

• JonathanByers
    JonathanByers Member Posts: 167

I believe I only played SH 3

• Metronix
    Metronix Member Posts: 226

I knew there were films but was'nt aware that there are games! Any recommandations, if I might ask? ^^

• DBD78
    DBD78 Member Posts: 3,455

Bought first game when it was new. Felt really fresh and something new to me. Second game is my favourite, then I also got the third one which was ok ish. But after that no SH games played.

• Shaped
    Shaped Member Posts: 5,869
    edited June 2022

Yeah. Tried most of them but only finished shattered memories which was nothing like other games in series.

Loved the story and atmosphere in regular sh games but locations were kinda repetitive and boring to me. I nearly finished 3 and 4 in particular actually but got bored near the end. I loved the idea of the room in 4, it was scary as hell tho.

And yeah sh1 intro is too good. I remember loving it as kid and I still watch it from time to time. It has sort of out of this world feel to it. It makes me feel like it is not just a game. Glad that younger people feel the same so I know it is not just me being nostalgic.

Games I never tried are homecoming and downpour. I remember downpour looking goofy and that you could attack monsters with a brick, which looked funny.

Anyway, really special series. But like I said, not a big fan of the gameplay and locations in the game. Story and atmosphere were great tho.

• dugman
    dugman Member Posts: 9,713
  • vanGlasse1
    vanGlasse1 Member Posts: 295

I did play SH3 when I was way younger on PS2 but never got to finish it, then years later I played SH2 fully, really liked it.

• Marc_123
    Marc_123 Member Posts: 3,530

Bought SH1 for PS1 in my local game store for 99.- DM. (German - before there was the Euro)

I think i played all except this Book of Memories - no PS Vita. Origins on PSP and Shattered Memories on Wii.

Downpour is actually a pretty good one. It has a bit of a bad reputation.

The first Movie has a very good athmosphere and is considered as one of the best video game movies. They changed the chars a bit for no real reason.

The second one is a strange mix and not bad but also not very good.

• Aurelle
    Aurelle Member Posts: 3,611

I was first introduced to Silent Hill by the movies. The first one was ok and the second one was garbage.

I also went and played the HD versions of 2 and 3. Compared to the originals (I watched gameplay of them), they weren't really good remakes. I wanted to play the first game too, but I don't own a PS1 or a disc.

• BenOfMilam
    BenOfMilam Member Posts: 911
    Other.

I've played very small portions of 1 and 2, only realizing too late that putting the game on Hard just makes everything take forever. Planning on playing 2 and 3 soon-ish, since most people suggest skipping 1.

• spilledthemayo
    spilledthemayo Member Posts: 24
    Other.

Never played the mainline ones but I vividly remember playing a silent hill game on the psvita and it was one of the worst games I've ever played. I think it was called like book of memories or something like that.

• tenoresax
    tenoresax Member Posts: 796

SH 1, 2 and 3 are some of my favourite games ever.

• anarchy753
    anarchy753 Member Posts: 4,212
    Other.

When it was announced for DBD I went and played te start of 1 on an emulator, but it was very slow and the controls were awful, like just trying to shoot something directly in front of me was pain. Nothing wrong with that though, it's a really old game.

Point is, I wasn't really enjoying it so I watched a few of them abridged on youtube.

• Marc_123
    Marc_123 Member Posts: 3,530

If you have a PS3 - there it is (or was) on the store.

You could never excuse that they botched up the HD versions. Only PS2 atm. Or on PC. I heard there are some mods which fix stuff.

• AnxiousRiddle
    AnxiousRiddle Member Posts: 14

I named my kid after SH so yes.

• Araphex
    Araphex Member Posts: 696

The movies didn't do the games justice. They also didn't follow the lore of the town, the people, ect. I mean, they're okay on their own, but like in another universe. Dahlia was actually a good person and not a villain. Pyramid Head was just there for the likes. Same with the nurses. Could of been better IMO.

• bittercranberry
    bittercranberry Member Posts: 454

If you're going to play SH 2-3 please & I mean please do not play the HD collection.

• Bran
    Bran Member Posts: 2,096

pretty sure i have not personally played any of the games.

• RoboMojo

Apologies for my late responses. Been in a lazy mood plus I recently got back into For Honor.

Playing the first three is a good start as they're generally considered to be the best ones it seems. I really enjoyed the first one and I think it still holds up fairly well, especially considering that it was released 23 years ago. I will admit that the controls were rather clunky at times. So, if you have the patience for that, then I'd recommend playing them in order. If you can't stand the clunky controls, then you can just skip straight to 2.

Oh I'm aware of the HD collection's reputation. I played the enhanced edition of SH2 and will probably just play SH3 on a normal emulator.

• RoboMojo

Oh sweet! Must be a pretty big fan then!

Yeah I watched a few reviews of them since opening the poll. They changed a lot for some weird reasons it seems. The name change for Cheryl still confuses me. I mean, they gender swapped Harry, so changing the name there makes sense I guess. Cheryl is still the same in the first movie though so her name being changed makes no sense to me. Oh well. Not a big deal.

• Chiky
    Chiky Member Posts: 746

Silent Hill is paradise

• Chiky

I only got the HD collection, and I don't think they are that bad tbh...

my least favorite SH game is downpour tho...

• bittercranberry
    bittercranberry Member Posts: 454

yeah they're a great option especially since SH games have sky rocketed in price over the years.. you really won't notice the difference if you haven't played the PS2 version!!

• SimplyPixelated06
    SimplyPixelated06 Member Posts: 469

I honestly think dbd was the first time I ever heard of silent hill. I haven't played any of them still. But maybe should, idk, I know nothing about it and the games are pretty old by now so idk if I'll ever give em a shot. I'm just hoping for a remake and I'd definetely try it out.

• AnxiousRiddle
    AnxiousRiddle Member Posts: 14

TBF the first movie was okay-ish, it was the second that completely bombed it.

• Chiky

the second one is so bad... the first one isnt the best, but it's at least acceptable.

• Bennett_They1Them
    Bennett_They1Them Member Posts: 2,513
  • Mister_xD
    Mister_xD Member Posts: 7,669
    Other.

I've started seeing a Let's Play from someone (I forgot who exactly), but I never watched through it.

I have however been seeing some videos about its lore - and the way I see it the most enjoyable way to come into contact with this franchise is by experiencing it for yourself in your own first, blind playthrough, which I simply haven't had the time to get around to do yet.

• cheetocultleader
    cheetocultleader Member Posts: 1,259

Silent Hill 2 was a masterpiece. 3 was gold. We steady go down hill from there imho.

• Lekitzul
    Lekitzul Member Posts: 495

I've only played the first one, and it's kinda hard to get my hands on the others. I would love them to be released digitally.

• Slingshot47
    Slingshot47 Member Posts: 158

I hunted down a PS2 specifically to play Silent Hill 2. I absolutely love it.

• AnneBonny
    AnneBonny Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 2,252
    edited July 2022

i've played 1 and 3 in full and a little bit of 2 and 4.

i love the first game, honestly think it's a little underappreciated compared to the others but i can't really judge until i've completed em all lol

third game is absolutely incredible, a lot of the themes and imagery hit close to home and i think cheryl is my favorite video game protagonist ever lmao

i wish i could play them on original hardware since i actually have a ps2 but copies are very expensive. i've heard burning a rom onto a blank dvd-r works but i've also heard that can damage the console so i'm a bit hesitant lol

• Alex_
    Alex_ Member Posts: 143
    Other.

I really like Silent Hill. I know some of the music, I've seen the movie and I have the Chapter in DbD. So I thought, let's try one of the games. I bought myself Silent Hill: Homecoming a playes it a little, but I really don't like the 3rd person perspective. I don't know what it is, but it feels really clunky.

Neither do i like the combat mechanics. The are really weird, so I ended up dropping the game, which is a real shame, because horror-wise it is really well made, but i just don't like playing it.

• RedRosesRot
    RedRosesRot Member Posts: 5

My first Silent Hill was Origins, but I've played all of them except 1, actually, and Book of Memories/some of the other awful spinoffs lmfao. I love the first movie (it's nowhere near perfect but it's very solid for a game-to-movie adaptation) and think we shouldn't talk about the second movie lmfao SH2-4 are some of my favorite games to date, and it's the SH chapter that got me to finally buckle down and start playing DbD for real.

I'd love to get to play the first one someday, but until then, 2 & 3 remain my favorites. I think my least favorite that I've played was Homecoming but I feel it's not as bad as people say it is; it's got the best boss designs in the series hands down, even if the horror is a little lacking thanks to the action focus in comparison with the older Team Silent titles.

If what Christopher Ganz said pans out, I am tentatively excited about how the third movie/potential future games may turn out. I will forever mourn Silent Hills, though.

• ArchAbhor
    ArchAbhor Member Posts: 847

I played all main line games. One of my favorite franchises.

1 I played it last. I was afraid It wouldn't age well and I wouldn't like it. I did zero research for it to make it a fresh experience. I'm glad I was wrong. I think it has some of the best combat in SH weirdly enough. Atmosphere was top notch. Not as much of a fan of the cult story side of SH but this one was pretty good.

2 My favorite. As is most but its hard to top. Also my 1st back in like early 2000's when I was a kid. I couldn't beat it and revisited it multiple times until I started playing games more seriously. Masterpiece.

3 I think this one spooked me the most as a kid. Something about the atmosphere of the mall was unsettling. Its pretty good, but the cult plot ones usually tick them down a bit. Less introspective and more trying to explain things too much. Which is a flaw some of the SH games did.

4 Hard for a kid to play lol. Its worth it if you liked the first 3. A bit more game mechanics to it. Some of which are a bit complex. As Its aged I've grown to like it more and more, but there are some moments that can be frustrating.

Homecoming- The worst imo. Still worth playing if you liked the rest. It and the sequel are not completely bad like some purists would have you believe. Its more cult then introspective so it loses points there for me. This one is your typical SH with worse combat. Good creature designs. If you dont learn how to properly fight you will hate it. I think its why it has such a bad rep.

Downpour- very underrated imo. Its more like 2 story wise. I think for the most part it has some of the most unique atmosphere of the franchise, and some great spooks if you take your time to enjoy it. Its combat is a slight upgrade from H but still not too good. I think that where it takes a hit is its creature designs which are pretty tame for SH.

favorite to least for me are 2, 1, 3, D, 4, H

Heres hoping the rumors of it coming back are true.

• ArchAbhor
    ArchAbhor Member Posts: 847

1 is very good I wouldnt skip it imo. Just make it to the school then you'll see.

• MrJack20252
    MrJack20252 Member Posts: 390

you will love SH2, everything in that game is perfect. personally my fav is SH3, i love Heather (Cheryl)

• Xendritch
    Xendritch Member Posts: 1,842
    Other.

I saw one of the movies and watched a let's play of SH2 and I've never loved a game I've never played so much.