Do you think content creators who accuse players of cheating while live harm the community?

Options
notCollin
notCollin Member Posts: 1

I'm going to start this with three important prefaces:

1.) 99.999% of the time the content creators that play this game do great things and have very great communities to be part of.

2.) While cheating happens occasionally, it is far from every match and the Development team/support team are doing much better at taking care of these issues. I am aware that subtle cheating does happen, and can sometimes be very hard to distinguish from really well seasoned survivors.

3.) I will not name any streamers/Content creators specifically, and I hope you don't either I just want to have an honest discussion about the community and see what other players thoughts are.

Earlier today I played against a streamer who accused multiple people consistently of using cheats/hacks to gain an unfair advantage in almost every match I watched after finishing the match where the killer accused the entire lobby (myself and one friend and two other players who I do not know) of using all sorts of various "hacks" to try to win. In the after game screen all of the perks could perfectly explain the plays that were made, and after watching the replay of the match from the killers POV it became apparent neither of the two survivors that I did not know were cheating but rather using their perks well. I continued to watch as the creator accused 6-7 people of cheating in the next 4 games played, all of which were just perks playing out, which was something that was fairly obvious for those who play killer regularly.

My main question is: Do you think that Creators that accuse people of cheating (subtly or otherwise) while live have a negative impact on players/viewers or the community as a whole and should content creators try to refrain from doing so even if they feel that a survivor is cheating, when in reality they could just be playing well?

Comments

• Angelicus23
    Angelicus23 Member Posts: 2,547
    edited June 2022
    Options

Of course they do

In 2019, I was live playing as killer against one of the biggest DBD streamers (which for then I didn't know about), we both were streaming, at one moment he failed a pallet save and then got down for bad timing and constantly repeated "this guy is lagswitching, killers nowadays can't think about anything else rather than cheating".

The thing is that after reporting me, he displayed my steam profile, his viewers saw a Twitch link from my profile and they came in mass to harass me at the chat and that's how I knew about him, I had to stop my stream because I didn't have affiliate yet and I couldn't close the chat to subs only.

In conclusion, this harmed me, my channel, and set a mindset on his viewers about cheating when there wasn't actually

• Metronix
    Metronix Member Posts: 226
    Options

I guess that's the only argument we need in this discussion. Holy s#*§, thats so awfull what happend to you.

• Araphex
    Araphex Member Posts: 686
    Options

Depends. How many followers do they have? If they have less than content creators that of TrU3Ta1ent, Dowsey, and every Fog Whisperer, then not really. Most of the community follows who's popular, and definitely follows Fog Whisperers. So stick to the number of followers when deciding if they are going to affect the community as a whole. So far, I follow several well known content creators and none of them accuse anyone of cheating. Sure, they may have suspicions during or after a match but I never see them report the player or call them out unless they have actual hard evidence of it.

So basically to answer your question... Not really.