What IS the Dredge?

Options
A_Can_Of_Air
A_Can_Of_Air Member Posts: 1,996

The Dredge’s lore doesn’t go very deeply into what the Dredge actually is, just a vague idea of what it is. The manifestation of the bad thoughts of the townspeople of The Fold.

This all seems a bit…fantastical? But when looking at it from the eyes of someone that knows about the existence of The Entity and a cult that worships it, there’s only one explanation I can think of:

The Dredge is essentially a meat suit for The Entity to wear and act in the trials itself.

The only time this thing manifests and forms it’s body is when there is a great level of fear, suffering, anger, confusion and anxiety. When it’s done consuming it all, it forms a body, glances at Stamper as if to…thank him? Appreciate him? Just…observe? Then it leaves for the Entity’s realm.

Maybe this wasn’t just a normal gift to The Entity, it was also a tool it could use to perform in the Trials itself. The fact that the body is formed from people full of negative emotions seems like more than enough fuel for The Entity to control it. It’s also perfect for evoking fear and anxiety in the survivors it chases and kills.

What are your theories on what it really is? Some ancient creature that isn’t the Entity? A fairy tale brought to life “by” The Entity?

Comments

• WaveyTrey
    WaveyTrey Member Posts: 633
    Options

The Dredge is what people believe paranormal entities actually are. Physical manifestations of negativity brought about by tragedy. A singular tragic death isn’t enough to create paranormal activity. Think of how IT awakens. It has to be a disaster, or something really terrible like torture/genocide. That’s why the survivor is seen using devices to track paranormal activity. The Dredge is fully paranormal so it’s left in obscurity. It’s just evil/darkness incarnate. Much like The Entity itself.

Otto or whatever his name was is apparently part of the cult that worships The Entity, which turns out to be an Eldritch Deity. Based on the lore some members work to pull survivors into the Entity’s realm. Otto seemed to be a member that works to create monsters for The Entity to utilize. He used a whole town as a sacrifice to make The Dredge. Then he guided Carter into torturing everyone within the institute, even Otto himself was a victim in the end. Turning Carter into a monster/Killer (The Doctor).

• chatgiraffe
    chatgiraffe Member Posts: 113
    Options

From what I understand, the Dredge is a creature made of Auric Cells, created by the thoughts of the Fold. I think Frank describes it in the legion tome, but basically the thoughts of people shape their universes. Otto wanted to create the Dredge as an actual monster, so he told the people of the Fold about it, and their fear and thinking of it causes it to exist. I think it was just the shapeless fog like the Entity is, but after being summoned fully into the world by the all the killing, it used their bodies as an actual Form, though the shadow is it's true body and we can see from cosmetics that it can use other objects.

• KateMain86
    KateMain86 Member Posts: 2,225
    Options

The dredge is Maurice's new stable master.

• IlliterateGenocide
    IlliterateGenocide Member Posts: 5,990
    Options

The boogieman, Bugbear.

Something like that

• Xendritch
    Xendritch Member Posts: 1,842
    Options

I feel like it's a lesser species of eldritch horror compared to the entity. Like the it's the hastur to the entity's azathoth.

• Slan
    Slan Member Posts: 282
    Options

When I read the Lore of The Dredge, I started thinking that it is more of a puppet or an offspring of The Entity whose finality is to feed the Entity using bad thoughts. I mean, It is clearly related to the Entity due to the black Fog It emmits, but The Entity has never intervened directly in a trial except for the claws that appear around hooks, and I don't see it intervening now and rejecting it's old ways, as the killer would no longer be needed.

• Marc_go_solo
    Marc_go_solo Member Posts: 4,811
    Options

I tend to think of it the same way as victims of Silent Hill experience the town.

In Silent Hill, the town appears to people trapped there as a manifestation of their horrors, fears and guilt realised.

The Dredge is the accumulation of these types of fears by the cult that took shape. It's a monster of thoughts and fears, helped made real by the Entity's influence.

• TeabaggingGhostface
    TeabaggingGhostface Member Posts: 3,108
    Options

Its a gribbly