The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Can we talk about Hit boxes?

I have a major problem with this game, that is the acceptance of the hitboxes killers have when hitting a survivor, stuff life hitting A LOT after a survivor jumps a window for example.
Is the game engine capable of being more precise about hitboxes or it's just an "ok, let them killers hit the air and scoring a hit, it's ok and balanced"?
I do not speak english, so i'm sorry if there is something wrong in the text.

Comments

• Efidepe
    Efidepe Member Posts: 19

@Wolf74 said:
    This goes both way, killer get a lot of swings that don't connect, despite they seriously looked like they should.
    So that is NOT a survivor issue.
    Lag/latency is bad on both sides.

Watch the following video. Skip to about 42 mins in and you can see what the player's hitboxes actually look like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56aSD99gmTI

That might explain some stuff to you.

Hey man, first time using the forum and thanks for the quick answer!
    Interesting that they are working on it, but i have to admit that the capsule stuff instead of a "limb to limb" hitbox it's complicated to deal with, but at least they are working on...

• Wolf74
    Wolf74 Member Posts: 2,959

@Ryuhi Ofc I can only see things that happen on my end. But when I play survivor I have those "bad hits" not happen to me often. I won't say "never", but very very rare. On the other hand, when I play killer, it happens a lot more often. Swings that should have connected do not result in a hit or get caught on corners.
    And toxic survivor tell me that it was their "skill" and I am "just bad".

• Fenix
    Fenix Member Posts: 13

Its a problem, you get the stun first and than the hit.
    Windows to, i jumped down out of a window and a leatherface got me half way down.
    Or when im already running after a window jump buth still hits me.
    When i play killer i just swing when they jump or trow a pallet it mostly hit anyway.

• Speshul_Kitten
    Speshul_Kitten Member Posts: 1,861
    This game’s hit boxes are one of the MAIN reasons (besides sorry teammates) that I don’t play survivor as much. 

It’s also the main reason I get downed.

nuff said.
  • Efidepe
    Efidepe Member Posts: 19

@Wolf74 said:
    @Ryuhi Ofc I can only see things that happen on my end. But when I play survivor I have those "bad hits" not happen to me often. I won't say "never", but very very rare. On the other hand, when I play killer, it happens a lot more often. Swings that should have connected do not result in a hit or get caught on corners.
    And toxic survivor tell me that it was their "skill" and I am "just bad".

i'm sorry but i have to admit that this is kinda strange... as a killer i do connect hits that I think it was unfair, sometimes i was just not supposed to hit, infinite times more with killers like myers or wraith (i hate them so much that i played with them to understand how they work) that have insane attack range, so, i have to disagree on that, i receive a lot of damage that hit the air or my sides even on matches with green ping, even Behavior on the vid told that they will not create a new hitbox style, just fix some stuff like being in a generator ou taking an item, but it doesn't change too much anyway and that's sad.

• Wolf74

You are aware that most killer have the same attack range depending on their speed?

• BigBadPiggy
    BigBadPiggy Member Posts: 678

What hitboxes? I just thought the killer was always able to hit you no matter where you are in the map.

• Master
    Master Member Posts: 10,200

@Efidepe said:
    I have a major problem with this game, that is the acceptance of the hitboxes killers have when hitting a survivor, stuff life hitting A LOT after a survivor jumps a window for example.
    Is the game engine capable of being more precise about hitboxes or it's just an "ok, let them killers hit the air and scoring a hit, it's ok and balanced"?
    I do not speak english, so i'm sorry if there is something wrong in the text.

Hits are not registered via hitboxes, we have hitcones.

And yes, there is no magical forcefield stopping the killers arm from reaching through a window, so hits through a window are possible and intended

• iceman2kx
    iceman2kx Member Posts: 462

The hit boxes in this game are extremely wonky, they are definitely not precise. This doesn't just affect survivors. Killers can hit survivors through windows. I consistently get free hits on survivors this way. I get the impression survivors believe there is an invisible wall through windows. This is not true, you can definitely be hit if the killer angles it correctly.

Second, while I agree there are some BS hits, there is an equal amount of BS misses. Auto-aim loves to target walls. In its own annoying way, this does balance out. This is just something to keep in mind if you are a survivor main. So the next time you hear a whiff or a cling because the killer missed, auto-aim may have just saved you ;)

Another thing to keep in mind is survivors have the mechanical advantage because they are in third person and the killer is in first. Your FOV as killer is significantly smaller and enables survivors to perform mechanics like 360'ing a killer. I have a feeling if there was no auto-aim, this would be very unbalanced.

• alivebydeadight
    alivebydeadight Member Posts: 1,559

They explain themselves, do they actually hit or is clowns thiccness buffing himself when you are in his smoke

• M2Fream
    M2Fream Member Posts: 288
    That's not latency. It's intended. If survivors can fit through a window, killers can fit their arm through.
  • Vietfox
    Vietfox Member Posts: 3,823
    I'm just gonna leave this here:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=169ae8xrwsE
  • Speshul_Kitten
    Vietfox said:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=169ae8xrwsE
    That’s complete bs. You can watch any streamer and see how pissed off they get when stuff like this happens when they’re playing survivor. Seems to be more prevalent on console for some reason.
  • Malakir
    Malakir Member Posts: 799

@Vietfox said:

Skip red pings lobbies, that's it

I saw this happen only when I accepted to give it a chance to a red ping killer. In other instances didn't happen

• Speshul_Kitten
    Malakir said:

@Vietfox said:

I saw this happen only when I accepted to give it a chance to a red ping killer. In other instances didn't happen

Wrong. It’s not just red ping lobbies, it’s pretty much anything over 150ms. Red pings are a whole different story. 
  • Wolf74

@Vietfox said:

So you wanna show us some laggy play and ask for a survivor buff to "fix" it?
    Sounds totallly legit.

• Vietfox
    Malakir said:

@Vietfox said:

It was green.
  • Vietfox
    Wolf74 said:

@Vietfox said:

Sounds totallly legit.

Lol dude, what? Show me when i asked for a buff because of this. (unless dedicated servers means a buff to survivors to you)
  • Wolf74

@Vietfox said:
    Wolf74 said:

@Vietfox said:

Sounds totallly legit.

Lol dude, what? Show me when i asked for a buff because of this. (unless dedicated servers means a buff to survivors to you)

Every time a killer lands a hit cause of lag/latency issues, survivor mains ask for "fixes".
    Usually they call for smaller attackcones or smaller hitboxes, anything to make killer hits more difficult just to make up for a very few visually bad hits, that are not the fault of the hitboxes, but the latency/lag.

• Vietfox
    edited December 2018
    Wolf74 said:

@Vietfox said:
    Wolf74 said:

@Vietfox said:

Sounds totallly legit.

that are not the fault of the hitboxes, but the latency/lag.

That was totally the point of my video.
    Edit: i know i called it "hitbox is op", but it was more as a joke than serious, that's why i said "dedicated servers" before.
  • XxAtomicAlfiexX
    XxAtomicAlfiexX Member Posts: 395

i dont like laggy hits and the bad hit boxes but there are worse problems that need dealing with and most of them are for killers (i think). the game isnt easy to balance but from what i have seen killers get the worst of it. coldwinds corn fields are painful (at least in my own experience), and pallets are to common, gens get done to fast, exit gates are opened to fast etc. so if i havent proved that there are worse problems then tell me. i am a bit biases because i prefer killer but i play much more survivor and the only problem i get is lag.

• friendlykillermain
    friendlykillermain Member Posts: 3,162

if you are hit then you were in the range no matter what it looked like until we get dedicated servers you willl have to just have to tolerate it but it isnt the hitboxes that are an issue