If you were affected by the Grade Reset Bloodpoints not being awarded properly, you will receive any missing Bloodpoints shortly. You may need to restart your game for the rewards to appear. Thank you for your patience!

Camping

Options
I hate when everyone complains about camping... it is the best way to win the game FYI

Comments

• SteveyTheExEevee
    SteveyTheExEevee Member Posts: 82
    Options

You're locking people out the game and are surprised when they complain about it?

• Master
    Master Member Posts: 10,200
    Options

@SteveyTheExEevee said:
    You're locking people out the game and are surprised when they complain about it?

Killing is pretty much kicking them out of the game and rendering them waiting for their SWF mates. They dont like it either and complain about it, but should we just play the clowns?

• Overlord_Will
    Overlord_Will Member Posts: 20
    Options
    I only camp if they have the gates open and I got someone hooked and they haven’t left. I think it’s fair game at this point.
  • DrDannieburger
    DrDannieburger Member Posts: 57
    Options

I never camp as a killer main (1000+ hours). I low-key know how it feels, and you'll learn to come to the point where you'd prefer to start improving rather than wasting your time ensuring only one kill.

• Dwight_Fairfield
    Dwight_Fairfield Member Posts: 6,750
    Options

Unless the gates are powered, then I do not understand killers who camp. Apart from it being a stupid strategy that lets other survivors get stuff done while the killer stays in one spot, it is boring. Just standing there watching a survivor slowly die on the hook. You get crap for blood points, too. I've seen campers take out a whole lobby by camping and barely scrape 10k.

• Michael_Myers
    Michael_Myers Member Posts: 104
    Options

@Dwight_Fairfield said:
    Unless the gates are powered, then I do not understand killers who camp. Apart from it being a stupid strategy that lets other survivors get stuff done while the killer stays in one spot, it is boring. Just standing there watching a survivor slowly die on the hook. You get crap for blood points, too. I've seen campers take out a whole lobby by camping and barely scrape 10k.

Exactly. Hooking everyone 3 times a piece + chasing and hitting can net you 3X that many blood points. Add BBQ and chili with thrill of the hunt and you'll be in point city lol

• lasombra1979
    lasombra1979 Member Posts: 1,142
    Options

I have no issue with someone who camps/patrols an area around the hook, esp if there are gens nearby. I have a problem with someone who face camps. I do not see the fun in sitting right in front of the hook.

• [Deleted User]
    Options

I rarely camp because I run make your choice yet if you annoy me, destroy my hex totem then t-bag right in front of me. yeah you're getting camped yet I camp when the generators are done and I know for sure the gates are open.

• Brainrape
    Brainrape Member Posts: 1
    Options

Camping is not always a good choice but if survivor's are overly altruistic it can definitely pay off. It's a strategy, and like any other strategy there is a time and a place for it. While gates are powered it's a safe bet. A lot of survivors will stop working gens for a while anyways.

• Onetrolltorulethem
    Onetrolltorulethem Member Posts: 16
    Options

Camping against BAD survivors is BAD. Camping against OK survivors is OK. Camping against GOOD survivors is VERY VERY GOOD. It's very dependent on the skill level of survivor. A good survivor will run any non-nurse killer around for minutes with a decent pallet setup... You're only going to catch them once, so make sure they die! Plebs, let the plebs run free! You can get them again ((depending on map)).

• Kujo
    Kujo Member Posts: 4
    Options

I will camp at the conditions below

• If the gens are powered i will camp, since there is no point in going to a gate to get one hit.

• If i know at least 2 of the 3 survivors are swarming the hook instead of doing gens. I will proxy to lure them in

• If 3 gens line up close by with the hook. I will patrol both gens and the hook ( I dont consider this camping but some people does)

• If something irl unexpected turns up, making me have to end the game quick ( I might just leave the match depending on how urgent or serious the matter is)

It really should not be a thing having made up community rules. A game is a game play how you want aslong as you're not breaking any actual rules such as greifing hacking ect. Sometimes i wonder why the community's fake rules always only applies to the killer, i mean you expect the killer to play with a rule book you dont have to follow. Survivors will ######### about camping and then see no wrong in t-bag and flashlight clicking. Heard the argument that the killer affects people's games so therefore he has to follow some rules, This idea is as stupid both killer and survivors affects other people's games. Just because survivor players are in the majority does not mean that people that want to play killer should be ######### talked for not prioritising the fun of survivors over their own.

To sum it up community rules are one sided bs that people shouldn't think about, Just play how you think is fun and ignore the people who tells you otherwise

• wraith_only
    wraith_only Member Posts: 28
    Options

When you see NOBODY with your BBQ & Chili after you hook one and so I sit invisible as the Wraith waiting for a new target then they cry in the post chat: CAAAAAAAMPPPPPPPPPPPERRRR, BBQ & Chili and camps!?
    People forget the fact that the perk also gives you knowledge on the amount of people who are near the hook.

• Spectrobyss
    Spectrobyss Member Posts: 31
    Options

I can camp and chase at the same time, so It doesn't matter to me ^^

• Leon
    Leon Member Posts: 56
    Options

I will be completely fair and honest in this one:

• From killer side it is ok
    • from survivor side it sucks because they almost did nothing
      All in all, it is fair strategy to use, and it is not like abusing anything or exploiting. he camped but before that he chased the survivor, and maybe spent time maybe not, but either way survivors had the chance to attempt an escape and failed. consequences happened.
  • Jack11803
    Jack11803 Member Posts: 3,930
    Options

@wraith_only said:
    When you see NOBODY with your BBQ & Chili after you hook one and so I sit invisible as the Wraith waiting for a new target then they cry in the post chat: CAAAAAAAMPPPPPPPPPPPERRRR, BBQ & Chili and camps!?
    People forget the fact that the perk also gives you knowledge on the amount of people who are near the hook.

Funny....killer mains always tell me it doesn’t ruin stealth, and that hiding behind a generator masks your aura....so who’s wrong here? You, are the literal thousands of killer mains denying any reasoning to buff stealth? Actually curious. I main doc, so I understand the whole “stealth is ruined”.

• Leon
    Leon Member Posts: 56
    Options

@wraith_only said:

Hiding in locker doesn't make them appear though? iirc, and if that was the case, then u would be wasting time camping someone with no near survivors but actually people far away in lockers.

• deadwolfwalking
    deadwolfwalking Member Posts: 624
    Options

i'm not a camper BUT i do see the benefit of it.... i just prefer the hunt. playing beats staying....

• Azgard12
    Azgard12 Member Posts: 335
    Options

I'm very opposed to camping as a general rule of thumb. That said, I see a few times it is okay:

-When you can see the other players nearby, hiding behind a tree. Especially when you see ALL of the other players nearby. There is literally zero reason for the killer to go elsewhere.

-Certain builds and certain players that would respond with altruistic actions... so you're essentially treating the person like bait. I personally don't do this, but its a time I understand it more. This works well when the exit gates are open.

-When you (stupidly) invested way too much time into chasing this person who flashlights you, drops every pallet, teabags, loops you around, decisive strike, struggles free... etc. There's a point where emotion takes over and you'll tank your own game to make sure they are camped and dead. I've done this twice. I hate it, but sometimes you're just salty.

• BUCKLEYbellows
    BUCKLEYbellows Member Posts: 7
    Options

The problem is, if you camp and they are a decent survivor team, they can easily get 2 - 3 gens done in that time. I never camp unless its a particularly toxic survivor.

• FujinRaijin
    FujinRaijin Member Posts: 72
    Options

Honestly, play the game how you want, but remember camping feels the same as being looped in an old infinite so dont be surprised when people dont like you when you do it.

• AsianMammoth
    AsianMammoth Member Posts: 84
    edited May 2018
    Options

Camping is when the killer is still in the map after hooking a survivor...
    Ignore the people that complain about camping. Hard to feel sympathy for them when they bully every killer they come across... They're trying to get you into a playstyle that gives them free points and makes it easier for them to escape. Camp when you think it's necessary.
    Edit: But I disagree that it's the "best way to win the game". Best way to win the game is by chasing everyone and making a lot of points. Camping doesn't help with making points, that in some situations.

• wraith_only
    Options

@Leon said:

@wraith_only said:

Hiding in locker doesn't make them appear though? iirc, and if that was the case, then u would be wasting time camping someone with no near survivors but actually people far away in lockers.

Hiding in lockers will not stop you from being seen by BBQ, as long as you are 40 metres away.... you will be seen

• wraith_only
    Options

@Jack11803 said:

@wraith_only said:

Funny....killer mains always tell me it doesn’t ruin stealth, and that hiding behind a generator masks your aura....so who’s wrong here? You, are the literal thousands of killer mains denying any reasoning to buff stealth? Actually curious. I main doc, so I understand the whole “stealth is ruined”.

I don't even know what you are on about... what did I say wrong?

• Jack11803
    Jack11803 Member Posts: 3,930
    Options

@wraith_only said:

@Jack11803 said:

@wraith_only said:

Not you I’m complaining about, it’s just people who demand that I play stealth, while running bbq, whispers, all on billy.

• TheSkreechingDeath
    TheSkreechingDeath Member Posts: 36
    Options

@Jack11803 said:

@wraith_only said:

I'm not good at being bold (must be because I am a Killer main, or I suck. Hah.) as survivor so stealth is my only option, but when I get Doctor it's over. I hope they can balance him.

• Master
    Options

@Master said:

@SteveyTheExEevee said:

Killing is pretty much kicking them out of the game and rendering them waiting for their SWF mates. They dont like it either and complain about it, but should we just play the clowns?

Man, now that we really got a clown my own statement is kinda pathetic..... lol

• wraith_only
    Options

@Jack11803 said:

@wraith_only said:

@Jack11803 said:

@wraith_only said:

Not you I’m complaining about, it’s just people who demand that I play stealth, while running bbq, whispers, all on billy.

Ye that's just silly.

• lasombra1979
    Options

Only time I truly camp is if I know the survivors are very close for the hook save or if that survivor has truly annoyed me. I very rarely do the latter but I will be honest it happens.

• NotSure
    NotSure Member Posts: 41
    Options

@dbdcamper_66 said:
    I hate when everyone complains about camping... it is the best way to win the game FYI

username checks out

• Runiver
    Runiver Member Posts: 2,095
    Options

Camping is a legit reason to complain because it's quite unfun to be camped.
    Camping is also a legit strategy, and a necessary one, considering the recovering abilities of survivors that can get back to work under a very few seconds if left unchecked, leading to very one sided matches if you do not camp at times, unless the survivors are really slow and low ranks.

• Master
    Options

@Runiver said:
    Camping is also a legit strategy, and a necessary one, considering the recovering abilities of survivors that can get back to work under a very few seconds if left unchecked, leading to very one sided matches if you do not camp at times, unless the survivors are really slow and low ranks.

Looping is a legit reason to complain because its quite unfun to be looped.
    Looping is also a legit strategy, and a necessary one, considering that most survivors dont know how to hide

Its just sad, but I dont think that DBD will experience a major rework anytime, I had hopes for the 2.0 patch, but turned out that they forgot about mindgame pallets and sticked to the super safe ones instead

• onark
    onark Member Posts: 105
    edited May 2018
    Options

So funny, reading this thread seems like almost no one camps, there are some screenshots of facecamping me. All of them the same day (you can see it in my perks):

• Runiver
    Runiver Member Posts: 2,095
    Options

@Master said:

@Runiver said:

Looping is also a legit strategy, and a necessary one, considering that most survivors dont know how to hide

Its just sad, but I dont think that DBD will experience a major rework anytime, I had hopes for the 2.0 patch, but turned out that they forgot about mindgame pallets and sticked to the super safe ones instead

Looping is a legit reason to complain because it's quite unfun to be looped.
    Looping isn't necessary to the game, as you can actually juke without looping in this game. And when I say juke, I mean juke effectively. Not throw all of the pallets randomly

• Sparrklebus
    Sparrklebus Member Posts: 5
    Options

I recently had a game where I would place a trap - it would get popped.. I'd place another.. And it would be popped. So I said to hell with that - and ran around until I found someone - And every time I looked there were 1-2 survivors flocking around me. So when I hooked the person I sat there circling the hook/walls because there were 2 survivors flocking around the darn thing.

I just needed a sacrifice for the daily - so I just sort of sat there and circled the hook. The after game chat was fun to read. But - when I know I'm being followed by a survivor and there are survivors flocking the hook - yes, I'm going to sit and try to smack them away from it/try to get another hook out of the deal.

Normally - outside of a situation like that or where they're right by an exit gate/hatch or where I KNOW a survivor is lurking around "that bush over there" I generally wander away towards a nearby gen or something else.

• Bradcore
    Bradcore Member Posts: 68
    Options

I recently had a game where I would place a trap - it would get popped.. I'd place another.. And it would be popped. So I said to hell with that - and ran around until I found someone - And every time I looked there were 1-2 survivors flocking around me. So when I hooked the person I sat there circling the hook/walls because there were 2 survivors flocking around the darn thing.

I just needed a sacrifice for the daily - so I just sort of sat there and circled the hook. The after game chat was fun to read. But - when I know I'm being followed by a survivor and there are survivors flocking the hook - yes, I'm going to sit and try to smack them away from it/try to get another hook out of the deal.

Normally - outside of a situation like that or where they're right by an exit gate/hatch or where I KNOW a survivor is lurking around "that bush over there" I generally wander away towards a nearby gen or something else.

I know what you mean. About a month ago I had a game where I hooked someone, I would see someone run to the rescue before I could get even five steps away. Now listen, I'm a lousy killer. I main survivor. But I try to play fair when I'm the killer. However, when the survivors give me no reason whatsoever to believe they are not going to rush out for the same the moment my back is turned, why would I ever walk away? That game I killed the entire party because they'd run out for the rescue as soon as I hooked someone. I could take five steps backwards and watch them rush out from cover. At one point I had three buddies crawling on the ground around me with one in the hook. All near the same damned hook. 

And at the end of it all, I was the "Camping #########." Despite that I was never given a reasonable time to get away from the hook. Despite that they gave me no reason to every leave the hook. C'est la vie. 
  • lasombra1979
    Options

@Bradcore said:
    Sparrklebus said:

I know what you mean. About a month ago I had a game where I hooked someone, I would see someone run to the rescue before I could get even five steps away. Now listen, I'm a lousy killer. I main survivor. But I try to play fair when I'm the killer. However, when the survivors give me no reason whatsoever to believe they are not going to rush out for the same the moment my back is turned, why would I ever walk away? That game I killed the entire party because they'd run out for the rescue as soon as I hooked someone. I could take five steps backwards and watch them rush out from cover. At one point I had three buddies crawling on the ground around me with one in the hook. All near the same damned hook. 

And at the end of it all, I was the "Camping #########." Despite that I was never given a reasonable time to get away from the hook. Despite that they gave me no reason to every leave the hook. C'est la vie. 

Same thing happened to me last night playing Leatherface. Why on earth would you rush the hook when the killer is Leatherface right after he hooked someone. I had all four on the ground less than a minute into the match and no gens popped. I let the hatred flow to me after that match. The screams of camper was music to me. All because they were stupid.

• Saint_Judas
    Saint_Judas Member Posts: 43
    Options

I've ben very tempted to camp, I have. Technically camping and tunneling would probably make me get more kills, I play Freddy mostly after all, and I love Dying Light for some stupid reason despite never killing them in time to matter. But.... its not the most fun as killer, and as survivor I know it sucks. Plus, I have witnessed from both sides, the magic of genrushing. And that is why, despite being a survivor main, I don't hate camping with a burning passion. It sucks to be camped. It really really does. But camping is a flawed strategy that only works off of altruisim snowballs. If you dont feed into the bait... well then it just doesnt work. You genrush and they end up depipping or not pipping because while they got that one kill the rest of you either genrushed, or if the doors were open, just left. So... its a strat, but it only works if survivors let it, to be angry about it is to be angry for falling for it

• Zavri
    Zavri Member Posts: 261
    Options

"Camping" is such a wide term used for anything including the killer just existing on the map.

Camping is: When a survivor is hooked you stay at the hook until the survivor is dead.

Camping ISN'T: Patrolling a hook, looking for other survivors nearby, being a reasonable distance away that you can react in time of an unhook, seeing other survivors near the hook, etc.

• FrenziedRoach
    FrenziedRoach Member Posts: 2,600
    Options

Camping i snot the best strategy in all situations. Indeed, in most situations you are better off chasing somebody else.

Remember.....

• Killer's most valuable asset is time.
    • Every moment a survivor has on a generator is time getting stolen from the killer.
    • If the survivors aren't completely stupid and punish you for camping by doing gens, you've only taken 1 person of generators for 2 minutes.
    • If you chase somebody else, you've taken 3 people off generators. The guy on the hook, the guy your chasing, and the guy doing the rescue.

Now, if they're all standing near the hook t-bagging you, then you've gotten you 3 people off gens and have every right to camp; nobody has a right to complain because they've refused to put generator pressure on you.

• AlexAnarchy
    AlexAnarchy Member Posts: 685
    edited May 2018
    Options

Looping is such a legit strategy that the devs just took one of things that made it so strong away and even already brought up another nerf for it in september in the recent Q&A as well as never having once stated it as a legit strategy themself once yet. : P

• SnakeSound222
    SnakeSound222 Member Posts: 4,467
    edited May 2018
    Options
    onark said:

So funny, reading this thread seems like almost no one camps, there are some screenshots of facecamping me. All of them the same day (you can see it in my perks):

*camping pictures*

The only really scummy one is the one where there was only two gens left. I can understand camping when there is one gen left, but I’m not entirely sure how I feel about doing it. Camping when the gates are powered is 100% fine because the Killer’s trying to secure his/her last kill. 
  • MumboJumbo
    MumboJumbo Member Posts: 16
    Options

The only time I usually camp is either when a survivor is extremely toxic, the exit gates are powered and I haven't been able to hook anyone yet, or when there are survivors nearby the hook. For me this never really happens but I know what it is like to camp and be camped. In my opinion you can't stop it but desperate times call for desperate measures.

• MumboJumbo
    MumboJumbo Member Posts: 16
    Options

@AsianMammoth said:
    Camping is when the killer is still in the map after hooking a survivor...
    Ignore the people that complain about camping. Hard to feel sympathy for them when they bully every killer they come across... They're trying to get you into a playstyle that gives them free points and makes it easier for them to escape. Camp when you think it's necessary.
    Edit: But I disagree that it's the "best way to win the game". Best way to win the game is by chasing everyone and making a lot of points. Camping doesn't help with making points, that in some situations.

I agree with this and I just camp when it is necessary.

• powerbats
    powerbats Member Posts: 7,068
    Options

I refuse to camp since I feel that it just demeans what it means to be the killer and what the Entity is all about. That said I've been tempted to camp especially against svf groups or those who're so geared it's like a noob playing against pro's. As a then lvl 3 Trapper I went against 2 with 2 ultra very rare and 2 very rare perks, The other 2 had all 4 ultra very rare perks and all were highly leveled and experienced. They'd either body block me while attempting to hook, use the escape ability after 4 seconds or sabotage my hooks in less than 4 seconds in front of me.

They weren't jerks and actually felt bad for me that matchmaking put me up against them like that. They did compliment me for my chases and the fact I got quite a few downs done and even a few hookings. Most killers are good about roaming while there's a core bunch that either gets 1 survivor and camps them or patrols just out of range and waits.

They never do anything but that even when it's obvious the solo queue group isn't either well geared or experienced. They get their 4 sacrifices and then brag about how ez it was in post game chat when it doesn't take skill to camp. The really good killers when they realize it's an inexperienced/low geared group hunts and gets people and scores a hecka lot more points than the camper does.

To me the entity feeds off the chase (more points for killers would induce less camping), the brutality of smacking the survivors (more blood spilled the better). It loves hooking them and hearing them scream, bashing gens thereby reducing their hard work and taking away their hope etc.

I've had matches where as the killer I didn't ge sacrifices but got a great score and the entity was pleased because I was a brutal killer. I got lots of hooks and downs and lots of bleeding going on as well as chasing. That to me is what the entity wants along with the sacrifices.

• Master
    Options

@powerbats said:
    I refuse to camp since I feel that it just demeans what it means to be the killer and what the Entity is all about. That said I've been tempted to camp especially against svf groups or those who're so geared it's like a noob playing against pro's. As a then lvl 3 Trapper I went against 2 with 2 ultra very rare and 2 very rare perks, The other 2 had all 4 ultra very rare perks and all were highly leveled and experienced. They'd either body block me while attempting to hook, use the escape ability after 4 seconds or sabotage my hooks in less than 4 seconds in front of me.

They weren't jerks and actually felt bad for me that matchmaking put me up against them like that. They did compliment me for my chases and the fact I got quite a few downs done and even a few hookings. Most killers are good about roaming while there's a core bunch that either gets 1 survivor and camps them or patrols just out of range and waits.

They never do anything but that even when it's obvious the solo queue group isn't either well geared or experienced. They get their 4 sacrifices and then brag about how ez it was in post game chat when it doesn't take skill to camp. The really good killers when they realize it's an inexperienced/low geared group hunts and gets people and scores a hecka lot more points than the camper does.

To me the entity feeds off the chase (more points for killers would induce less camping), the brutality of smacking the survivors (more blood spilled the better). It loves hooking them and hearing them scream, bashing gens thereby reducing their hard work and taking away their hope etc.

I've had matches where as the killer I didn't ge sacrifices but got a great score and the entity was pleased because I was a brutal killer. I got lots of hooks and downs and lots of bleeding going on as well as chasing. That to me is what the entity wants along with the sacrifices.

The whole game is basically against what it means to be a killer.
    An assymetrical game where a single survivor can loop you for the entire game, well, guess you chose wrong if you want to play the "powerrole"

• powerbats
    powerbats Member Posts: 7,068
    Options

@Master The devs are working on the looping issue and as I've said before most of my games the killer either aces all 4 or camps and aces all 4. The super high rank games are where this is probably more of an issue then say the 15-20 range or there abouts.

• Master
    Options

@powerbats said:
    @Master The devs are working on the looping issue and as I've said before most of my games the killer either aces all 4 or camps and aces all 4. The super high rank games are where this is probably more of an issue then say the 15-20 range or there abouts.

Funny, but when I camp I rarely get 4 kills, only if I am playing against a really stupid SWF, but this is an exception

Btw camp = standing in front of the hook
    Having an eye on the hook while checking nearby gens isnt camping :wink:

• EmpathyBuff
    EmpathyBuff Member Posts: 8
    Options
    It’s not really cheating but it’s very cheap and is unsportsmanlike. I like to the play as the killer and give the survivors a sporting chance to progress or even win. If you just camp around the hook it totally takes the fun out of the game.