FridayNightPizza
FridayNightPizza Member Posts: 613

Is Garden of joy balanced? 100 votes

Killer sided
2%
DivineParadoxTwyla 2 votes
Survivor sided
79%
rooCraahGibberishhemlockBlueberryWalterBlackMiriamGJplanas98F60_31DimekSacrilegeGGanarchy753Lanzpizzaduffyhp90Chordycepsmusstang62MrPenguinKnotEnthusiastTunnelVisionMattie_MayhemOGPlantCollector 79 votes
Balanced
19%
GlamourousLeviathanCnich65ElcopolloGreyBigfootdugmanReverseVelocityHeaderAurelleAlex_LekitzulTheMruczekcatnipthegreatsquib_guyrvzrvzrvzSlingshot47SlanHugTheHagGobletsVicRatlhead 19 votes

Comments

• TragicSolitude
    TragicSolitude Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 6,804
    edited June 2022
    Options

I haven't gotten the map enough to have any opinion on it.

But the main building has some absolutely godawful windows, holy crap. To add to that, I had a couple survivors with Boil Over make me miserable on the upper floor, totally unable to get through doorways. I hate the house as killer.

I haven't played on Garden of Joy a single time as survivor yet, though.

• Brokenbones
    Brokenbones Member Posts: 5,158
    Options
    Survivor sided

Just slightly

If the main building was weaker and the map was a bit smaller I think it would be balanced as a lot of the filler pallets are unsafe

• Saitamfed
    Saitamfed Member Posts: 1,620
    Options

The main house has a spot where survivors are unhookable, specially if they use Boil Over.

• Valik
    Valik Member Posts: 1,274
    Options
    Survivor sided

Just a brisk walk with Windows Of Opportunity or Zanshin will prove as much.

Tons of god windows and god pallets.

House has shadow projections and harsh light - and the blacks are crushed (the balance is in the negative and data is lost) meaning many survivors can simply crouch and killers will not be able to find them.

Many low-mobility killers can get into no-win scenarios as several loops and bits of foliage can make patrols long and pervasively difficult.

While the map has a few subtle things to tip favor into the killer's favor (small clutters getting survivors stuck) it's absolutely easier to play as a survivor than it is to play as a killer.

• Thr_ust
    Thr_ust Member Posts: 481
    Options
    Survivor sided

Most of the map is balanced but I think that main building is the new “house of pain.”

• GlamourousLeviathan
    GlamourousLeviathan Member Posts: 976
    Options
    Balanced

I mean, compared to half of the maps on the game, Garden of Joy isn't that bad for killer. I would 100% take it over Coal Tower or Sanctum of Wrath.

• dugman
    dugman Member Posts: 9,714
    Options
    Balanced

I don’t have a strong opinion on it yet other than that the main building is too dark. But the devs mentioned at some point they’re looking to brighten it so we’ll see if that remains an issue.

• Deathstroke
    Deathstroke Member Posts: 3,181
    Options
    Survivor sided

I think it's survivor sided I escape there usually and as killer it's not easy map to win.

• ArchAbhor
    ArchAbhor Member Posts: 833
    Options
    Survivor sided

Once teams get to know the map better its another ormund or eerie. par for the course at this point

• GlamourousLeviathan
    GlamourousLeviathan Member Posts: 976
    Options
    Balanced

Coal Tower's main building is just as strong if not stronger. Also, Coal Tower has a lot of junge gyms and strong loops stacked on top of each other, while GoJ has only 1 to 3 jungle gyms that aren't strong and a lot of unsafe pallets and dead zones. I take a strong main building over a lot of strong loops any day.

• Ssajbambusa
    Ssajbambusa Member Posts: 496
    Options
    Survivor sided

Main building has at least two god windows. One of them is low enough so survivors don't stagger, but path towards it is long enough for survivor to just walk for a bit and 'win the chase', cause no longer running... and this window will never close :).

Only this would be enough to trash this map. but if thing near shack spawns in a way that you can connect it to the nearest tile, literally half of map becomes one big loop. Very similiar to old Ormond.

• Aurelle
    Aurelle Member Posts: 3,611
    Options
    Balanced

From the times I've played on it, it seems pretty balanced.

• INoLuv
    INoLuv Member Posts: 464
    Options
    Survivor sided

No, like most maps, which are survivor sided.

• Lekitzul
    Lekitzul Member Posts: 495
    Options
    Balanced

Honestly, I think it's fine. As a killer I avoid houses like the plague, but they have to leave at some point to finish gennies, so it doesn't bother me that much. Like, legit I won't even follow a survivor to the killer shack most times, I can waste two gens on a shack easy if they're good runners.

• Chiky
    Chiky Member Posts: 647
    Options
    Survivor sided

to me as a killer, the map is WAY too big, and the house is a mess to be in.

• Slingshot47
    Slingshot47 Member Posts: 155
    Options
    Balanced

Other than the amount of windows in the house and the BS chainsaw hitboxes around the foliage, I actually like it. Most gens are clustered well enough to pressure them, the map is fairly easy to navigate, and the top balcony is an interesting way to get a bird's eye view of the map. Overall, I like it. Sucks for Hillbilly though.

• Biscuits
    Biscuits Member Posts: 1,097
    Options
    Survivor sided

The middle building needs some changes, even when the killer tries to mind game you still have several other options to avoid getting hit. The shack also has 4 pallets within spitting distance just about every time.

• Alex_
    Alex_ Member Posts: 143
    Options
    Balanced

I think in general it is pretty balanced, but it is very killer-dependent. The tiles are partially impossible to play around with hillbilly or so (my hillbilly skills are not the best, so this might be wrong. I'm pretty confident it's not, but correct me, you hillbilly mains out there)

• Elcopollo
    Elcopollo Member Posts: 763
    Options
    Balanced

Balanced in a sense that it's equally horrible for everyone.

• dugman
    dugman Member Posts: 9,714
    Options
    Balanced

Coincidentally I had a few more games on Garden of Joy and I’m leaning toward it being mostly balanced, with maybe a slight bias toward survivors? 🤷‍♂️ The main building is strong but the outside isn’t and I’ve won a number of games as killer on this map simply by mostly ignoring the house and defending the outside. There’s really not all that much that’s too strong beyond the house, the visibility is pretty good for the killer and a lot of pallets and loops are gameable. Plus the gens are positioned in a way that 3 gens can happen as well.

Note that a strong building alone won’t make a map survivor sided. Dead Dawg Saloon for example has a strong central building but is generally considered a balanced map by a lot of killers. In fact the strategy to win on Dead Dawg is really similar to Garden - mostly ignore the strong building and take chases and patrol outside.

I do think the main building is too dark inside though. Dim is fine but that house is so dark I literally can’t see the walls which is dumb. Bumping into walls while moving around a building isn’t fun.

• Kill_Yr_Idol83
    Kill_Yr_Idol83 Member Posts: 213
    Options
    Survivor sided

I'm going to have to say it's survivor sided only because of the infinite loop in the house. A few years ago they nerfed infinite loops on maps because of how unfair they were, only to add in breakable walls a year or so later that created more infinite loops, in turn creating more work for the killer.

• rvzrvzrvz
    rvzrvzrvz Member Posts: 939
    Options
    Balanced

where ? there's always a hook on the roof + basement

• HugTheHag
    HugTheHag Member Posts: 3,140
    Options
    Balanced

My games are exactly as sh*tty as a killer or as a survivor on this map, it's become a joke among my friends.

That being said, that map rocks. Esthetic-wise, it one of the most beautiful maps of the game, and I like it a lot !

• SekiSeki
    SekiSeki Member Posts: 516
    Options

I just don't like the map. It is miserable for Billy as there is so much clutter throughout. The main window vault is obnoxious but outside of that, it is balanced.

• Valaryyn
    Valaryyn Member Posts: 72
    Options
    Survivor sided

They should remove two pallets and the main building dining room window. I think it becomes fairly balanced after that.

• VicRatlhead
    VicRatlhead Member Posts: 75
    Options
    Balanced

Avoid the house, patrol the gens outside. You eventually catch them too far from their safe haven. The maps easy enough to navigate that you can cover gens.