How Do Yall Feel About Hillbilly?

Options
Iron_Cutlass
Iron_Cutlass Member Posts: 2,846

I think we all are somewhat familiar with the man himself, Max Thompson Jr.

The reason why Ive asked about Billy is it seems that during the anniversary events, a lot of survivors Ive faced have DCed or let themselves go on first hook over curving. Ive even received a lot of harassment over curving (mind that I havent used any Engravings during the event, Im saving those for later, my addons used for this whole event has been Punctured Muffler and Junkyard Air Filter). A lot of this just led me to question: Do people hate Hillbilly?

Well, to be more exact, is Hillbilly fun to play? Is Hillbilly enjoyable to face? And are there certain builds that people refuse to go against? Id just like to get some of the community thoughts about him.

Comments

• Steel_Eyed
    Steel_Eyed Member Posts: 4,031
    Options

Great basekit. Terrible addons. Engravings is not the best addons. Fight me.

• Iron_Cutlass
    Options

Personally, Apex Muffler with Leafy Mash is an insanely good combo, maybe throw in Tinkerer, Dark Devotion, and H: Plaything and you got a really solid build. It's been pretty fun and successful since people dont expect it at all.

• Steel_Eyed
    Steel_Eyed Member Posts: 4,031
    Options

Either iridescent with turn speed is an absolute blast to play. Apex with tinkerer alone can allow you to walk right up to a gen with a 99'd chainsaw. The turn speed just helps you get there.

• Wampirita
    Wampirita Member Posts: 808
    Options

I LOVE facing curve Billys, but it may be because I actually know how to run them.

A lot of people tend to dc vs killers they refuse to learn how to play against, but i wouldn't care less.

I can get my cheeks absolutely clapped and i'll take it as learning experience, leaving the game early won't teach me anything.

So no, i don't hate Billy in any shape and form. Billy players are a super rare sight nowadays anyway, i'll cherish every single one of them i'll meet, I just wish they didn't gave up so easily on chases :(

• Hi_Im_Chucky
    Hi_Im_Chucky Member Posts: 366
    Options

I haven’t seen a Billy in a long time. To the point that I’d probably DC just because I thought I’d mistakenly spawned into a forbidden past realm and needed to return to the present…

• Ayamir
    Ayamir Member Posts: 291
    Options

He feels clunky and so slow to play,he's just not a fun smooth killer to play anymore our Billyboi got butchered sadly...

he can be good if you take the time to master him and learn how to curve even tho curving won't work against decent survivors and people should know to never hug loops against a Billy.

Most of his add-ons are just terrible,the engravings are cool for the curves montages but the slower chainsaw charge can punish Beginner-Intermediate Billys should never use the engravings.

I use the steering add-ons since I am not that good at Billy and Dad's Boots helps me alot.

Overall a decent killer with lethality and mobility but takes alot of practice and is one of the hardest killers in the game.

• Iron_Cutlass
    Options

I would argue that learning with the Death Engravings, the charge time is manageable and the speed boost lets people get a better grasp over managing the speed.

• Chadku
    Chadku Member Posts: 729
    Options

Remove overheat mechanic, roar and remove the extra second bump penalty

• Silasy
    Silasy Member Posts: 228
    Options

Good mobility, weak anti-loop and boring addons overall. Can be good but one of the hardest killers in the game and doesnt reward you as much as Blight, Nurse or Sprit. 

• DEMONANCE
    DEMONANCE Member Posts: 800
    Options

boring to play, super fun to play against anyone who complains about going against a billy is a #########. I'll complain tho if they're a m1illy

• ShinobuSK
    ShinobuSK Member Posts: 5,279
    Options

Unlike majority of community, I actually hate facing billy. And demo as well

• GoodBoyKaru
    GoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 22,611
    Options

Idk I'm sure he's a blast to play as, I just never can. And because he's so rare to face it's normally quite fun, like I'm sure Blight would be if my games weren't so oversaturated with the bastard. I wish they'd fix his animations though

• Verconissp
    Verconissp Member Posts: 1,570
    Options
  • Verconissp
    Verconissp Member Posts: 1,570
    Options

I'm stubborn to drop a chase if i want to chainsaw...

Fite me rn, 1v1 curveboi billy

• Wampirita
    Wampirita Member Posts: 808
    Options

As much as I'd love to, I have to refuse. I can't take chases seriously in customs, I need the actual game going around me to make decisions where to go and where not.

But if we ever meet in regular game, I'll take you for a ride with pleasure

• Marigoria
    Marigoria Member Posts: 6,090
    Options

Shouldn't have been changed in the first place.

Billy used to be one of the best 3 killers at the time, alongside nurse and spirit. No one ever complained about Billy, in fact a lot of people found in fun to play as AND go against.

Only change he needed was a rework to his addons.

• Zachcjjj
    Zachcjjj Member Posts: 526
    Options

am a billy main and i get basically only positive feedback for curving especially, if anyone ever cries its usually about how they felt i played mean more then the actual curves

• Zachcjjj
    Zachcjjj Member Posts: 526
    Options
  • WishIcouldmain
    WishIcouldmain Member Posts: 4,081
    Options

Hillbilly is still fun to play, but requires a lot of effort to master correctly, but overheat essentially punishes you for trying use your power as much as possible a pretty dumb mechanic considering his power isn’t oppressive enough to warrant overheat. And his add-ones are pretty weak. Hopefully one day the overheat heat is reverted and add-ons made viable.

• ThatOneDemoPlayer
    ThatOneDemoPlayer Member Posts: 5,623
    Options

Billy isn't Demogorgon or Artist, so I can't love him

• Iron_Cutlass
    Options

Demogorgon is also pretty fun, just wish all of his addons werent portal related, just wish they have more interactions with Shred.

• AcelynnBen
    AcelynnBen Member Posts: 1,012
    Options

can play literally every killer beside him and blight

• Chadku
    Chadku Member Posts: 729
    Options

We got 3 stacks of STBFL for Shred, Brutal Strength Shred, Unrelenting Shred and zero addons that apply Mangled, Hemmorage when shredding.

• Iron_Cutlass
    Options

I just want some addons to increase the range or speed of Shred, I want to go absolutely THOOOMING towards survivors.

• brock
    brock Member Posts: 305
    Options

Revert overheat, stupid change

• Carrow
    Carrow Member Posts: 500
    Options

Facing off against a good, curving master Billy is an absolute nightmare and I hate it with a passion. I hope they don't remove the overheat mechanic and they'll stay a rare species.

• MilManson
    MilManson Member Posts: 939
    Options

Weaker than Wraith.

• Iron_Cutlass
    Options

At least they are better than Sadako, then again, I dont think anything is weaker than Sadako.

• Lawlichan
    Lawlichan Member Posts: 114
    Options

give him more turning control and another addon pass

• Thusly_Boned
    Thusly_Boned Member Posts: 2,806
    Options

I went against a good Billy last night for the first time in ages, and we got wrecked. Billys are rare, and really good Billys are an endangered species. But you have to respect a master Billy.

I know that once we can use custom bot matches as practice, I am going to take a legit crack at learning Billy for the first time, as his learning curve has been a deterrent.

• TotemSeeker91
    TotemSeeker91 Member Posts: 2,358
    Options
  • TotemSeeker91
    Options

And I can't think of anything off the top of my head, but doesn't Billy have like zero slowdown built in?

• TotemSeeker91
    Options

Can you blame em? Once they miss that chainsaw hit, he's just a basic M1 that you run for 5 minutes isn't he?

• TotemSeeker91
    Options
  • Laluzi
    Laluzi Member Posts: 5,553
    Options

To be fair, most killers don't have slowdown baked in. Off the top of my head, that's just Pig, Pinhead, Legion, Doctor, and Sadako-in-theory-but-not-really.

He has high map mobility, which is in many ways equivalent to slowdown because it means you can interrupt gens, but its usage has waned as more indoor maps and complex main buildings have been created, and that map traversal has been hugely eclipsed by on-demand teleporters.

• TotemSeeker91
    Options

Yeah... I don't think they were thinking of Billy with garden of joy, at least what I saw of it

• Iron_Cutlass
    Options

There are spots in bushes where you can stand where you physically cannot chainsaw them. Ive had people run to that spot everytime Id pull my chainsaw up. BHVR really needs to look at that map's collision, it is awful.

• MrPeanutbutter
    MrPeanutbutter Member Posts: 1,586
    Options

I’ve complained a lot about the (completely unnecessary) Hillbilly nerfs, but I’m starting to get a bit more used to him. I’ve been using spirit fury and enduring, which has helped me get some chainsaw hits after the pallet insta-breaks.

I agree that nearly all his add-ons are pure garbage. It’s a crime what BHVR did to his add-ons

• Iron_Cutlass
    Options

Mechanically, I dont think his basekit is as bad as people make it out to be, overheating is just an inconvenience but I dont really see myself overheating a lot anyways, even for a mostly M2 Billy.

I just think his addons need some tuning since a lot are useless or work against his power as a whole.

I think his addons are comparable to Oni's really, they have a few decent ones, but the rest are just awful, very awful.

• Blueberry
    Blueberry Member Posts: 13,238
    edited June 2022
    Options

Interaction with the Billy trying to curve and me trying to dodge, very fun.

Billy overall, not fun. This is because everytime Billy comes up on you it's just a pallet/window check. No pallet or window? Free down with no counter play if the Billy is even remotely decent. The hit box on the saw is just too forgiving to dodge in a dead zone revving up on your back.

With most other killers that dead zone is just a hit, not an insta down and with most other killers you also have plenty of heads up to not get caught in a dead zone but with Billy's mobility it can be pretty common to get put into a dead zone without much forewarning.

Not saying Billy is over powered or anything even remotely like that. Just that going down because oh..no pallet or window..guess I'm getting insta downed isn't fun and diminishes the fun he does actually give at loops with curving.

Contrast this to say Oni who I do find much more fun as even in a dead zone there is out play potential from his wind up and hit box that gives more room to actually dodge it.

As far as playing as Billy, not my cup of tea. He's probably my least played killer out of the entire killer roster. Feels clunky to use with the chainsaw control. Same reason I'm not a fan of playing Oni.

• Iron_Cutlass
    Options

I mean is Billy downing you in a deadzone really different from any other insta-down killer? I mean, they put you in an awful position or you put yourself in an awful position; either way the Billy is being rewarded for their actions and your mistake, just like any other game. If Im playing an FPS game and I get shot because Im in an open field, I wont get mad, because I put myself in that awful position, and the guy who killed me still had to put some level of skill into hitting me; I dont see it any different from Billy.

• Norhc
    Norhc Member Posts: 575
    Options

Survivors DC/suicide for the pettiest reason nowadays. Nothing to do with Billy.

• Blueberry
    Blueberry Member Posts: 13,238
    Options

"I mean is Billy downing you in a deadzone really different from any other insta-down killer? I mean, they put you in an awful position or you put yourself in an awful position"

Yes, it is different. Most all the other insta down killers don't have high mobility. Meaning that I have a much less likelyhood of being caught in a dead zone.

"either way the Billy is being rewarded for their actions and your mistake, just like any other game."

I mean there's a gen in a dead zone and he zooms up since you have little heads up...that isn't a mistake on my part. There was no misplay involved. Now if it's like Red Forest or something where I should clearly be able to see him coming from afar then sure that's that player making a mistake, but that's more an exception than the rule.

"If Im playing an FPS game and I get shot because Im in an open field, I wont get mad, because I put myself in that awful position, and the guy who killed me still had to put some level of skill into hitting me; I dont see it any different from Billy."

That's a poor analogy that doesn't apply. Apples and oranges. You aren't forced to go into that open field in the FPS, that is a mistake. If a gens in a dead zone that isn't a choice.

• toxik_survivor
    toxik_survivor Member Posts: 1,181
    Options

I miss the Big boi. I long for the days back in 2017 when Billy was the only killer anyone ever played and he's the only killer you went against every match for a good 6 months