The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

What makes a good map?

People talk about bad maps and good maps, however in your opinion what are the best aspects of a map that makes it great to play? Is it mostly the theme, size of the map, balance, etc. For me it has to be the theme. Balance and size are very important, however I find the atmosphere and design to be what really draws me to a certain map. What do you think?

Comments

• ColonGlock
    ColonGlock Member Posts: 1,224

Old Asylum was my favorite map for both roles. I like the central structure and the way it was laid out.

Any map that feels like an arena rather than some haphazard layout.

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,206
    edited July 2022

Coal Tower. Coal Tower is the blueprint for good map design. Every killer is able to patrol it effectively. The gen layout is relatively static aside from the mid gens, so neither side will automatically win or lose due to RNG if the other side is sentient. The gens are compact enough that survivors and killers have to strategize about prioritizing main or shack side depending on the gen spread. Survivors can't just dump every pallet immediately because the map doesn't have functionally unlimited resources relative to optimal gen speed. Main building is strong but not broken. Main building gen actually requires strategy by the survivors because there's no safe way to get out of the 2nd floor without Balanced landing unless you pre-leave with Sprint Burst. Survivors have to pay attention to where they go down in chase depending on the killer. Going down behind main against a Huntress inside of a 3 gen is GG. Same thing if basement is in shack. Coal Tower requires both sides to play well to win. The map doesn't bail out either side. The devs can make a competitively balanced map (see Coal Tower), they just choose not to for whatever reason.

• TheMetalBilly
    TheMetalBilly Member Posts: 6

Yeah I do agree with this. I have found however that bad RNG on coal tower can lead to pretty crazy stuff. I've seen 3 LT loops practically next to each other, main building window facing a long wall window, safe pallet loops in front of shack window. If a survivor knows how to play coal tower correct they can make it very difficult for m1 killers to get downs. Other than that coal tower is one of my favourite maps for the layout.

• NeverGone
    NeverGone Member Posts: 35

i miss the old coldwind farm ... because of the spooky atmosphere etc