Why killers cannot switch main in the lobby?

KajdanKi
KajdanKi Member Posts: 219

What is the point that killers cannot change character when they finally join lobby?

Is it too OP or something? I dont play killer but makes me wonder why is this still a thing

Comments

• egg_
    egg_ Member Posts: 1,933

Every killer has its own MMR score and is supposedly matched against players of similar skill. So if you never play wraith and get matched with baby survivors, it wouldn't be fair for you to change to your main afterwards.

This assuming MMR works, which it doesn't

• KajdanKi

This does not work yet, yes.

I wonder if its any good since you can be for example red rank Blight and if you ever try the very new killer for the first time , thanks to mmr you get baby survivors - you will obliterate them anyway. i dont see a point of that ...

• MrMori
    MrMori Member Posts: 1,440

MMR is a number between 900 and 1900 or so I believe but yeah pretty much.

Killer specific MMR is just a band aid for the enormous power imbalances between killers. And SBMM doesn't even know if you're bringing an OP build + addons or not, so what's the point?

• KajdanKi

Well what I mean is that if you pick a killer that you have never ever played before you will be matches with baby survs.

Now - lets say you have 3k hours in total. It will be completely no challenge at all as you will outplay them with experience in the game.

• Superyoshiegg
    Superyoshiegg Member Posts: 1,486

Yep.

Unfortunately though, the alternative isn't better.

I am an experienced Killer player, but I will still lose to even newer Survivors if you force me to play Killers that I am uncomfortable with and awful at using (such as Huntress, Pinhead and Dredge).

• Mandy
    Mandy Administrator, Dev, Community Manager Posts: 22,915

No it doesn't work that way

If you've got any experience of playing killer, your MMR on other killers would never be in the super low range - as whilst you might be new to a specific killers power, you still have game and map knowledge. Hence you do have different MMR scores for various killers that you use - however, it might not be much difference.

If you look at the graphs we've shown previously the majority of the player base is in the mid MMR ranges, so it stands to reason that their different killers are also within that range, maybe some slight differences overall.

• Mandy

It does make sense. As you have some players who are fantastic with a particular killer and will have higher MMR with them, MMR that's in the next bracket. On their weaker killers they do not get matched with the players that their main killer then gets matched with.

• ShinobuSK
    ShinobuSK Member Posts: 5,279

I still think matchmaking should take average of all your killers. And let you switch killers in lobby, only if for spending fast BP on some other killer than the one you want to play with before match starts

• graveyard_7777
    graveyard_7777 Member Posts: 269

Why not just spend your bloodpoints before you start a match?

• Chaos999
    Chaos999 Member Posts: 869

I understand the logic, but at the same time it kinda sucks when you load into a match with, I dunno, pig and see 4 toolboxes because you know you already lost, but with a different killer you might have a chance.

Incidentally, I have always dreamed of loading into a match with 4 medkits as plague, but that never happens when I play her xD.

• Aneurysm
    Aneurysm Member Posts: 5,270

Oh that happens to me a lot when I play plague, happened yesterday >:)

• Laluzi
    Laluzi Member Posts: 6,059

I'd rather get rid of the specific-killer MMR and go back to being able to switch in the lobby. There are many lobbies where the killer you've got lined up is specifically screwed against survivor items (flashlights versus Hag, maps versus Trapper, medkits versus Twins), or more importantly, when you're just messing around with a killer you don't normally play for a daily or experimentation and you get a loaded SWF. Plus I always want to oblige when I see survivor names like Trickster's Wife or Mori Me Pyramid Head.

Like, I liked the idea of individual killer MMR, but the allowed variance in the MMR isn't great enough to accurately match up with your proficiency in my experience. It's 200 either way from a center rating, right? My MMR's still pretty off from all the friendly games I did during the event, but right now I'm at a point where I can stomp when I play Plague or Artist, but if I play Nurse or Slinger, I'll get wrecked. So killer-specific MMR isn't doing me any good and I'm mostly just waiting for custom match bots for the killers I want to learn.

• burt0r
    burt0r Member Posts: 4,152
    edited July 2022

So here the masses "suffer" for the few but neither good nurse player nor 4 men swf death squads warrant a change or restriction?

Edit: Is the potential advantage of comms that might come with swf even considered in the matchmaking at all or is it still just the average MMR of the group used?

• Nun_So_Vile
    Nun_So_Vile Member Posts: 2,320
    edited July 2022

This. I don't care how anyone tries to spin it, being able to switch killers in-lobby should have never been taken out of the game. All over a failed experiment that we are still stuck with. It's actually kinda ironic that you still swap between higher and lower MMR killers in a roundabout way (at least on ps4, no crossplay) if you leave the lobby and queue up quick enough to be put back in the same one. I did that last night and I just find it hilarious because that shouldn't be a thing since MMR does try to prevent it in a way, but it is still possible to do.

• fcb
    fcb Member Posts: 158

we can't even see the map before the match, they should allow killer switching and map selection before the match.

• woundcowboy
    woundcowboy Member Posts: 1,994

Why then can you not switch killers in a lobby? That change was sold as good because MMR would be separate for each killer. You have just confirmed that there is only slight variation, making the locked killer thing pointless. We should be allowed to switch.

• Mandy

Even if the variation is slight that might cross over two brackets.

It also might be the case of someone having a particularly high MMR on one character and lower on the other - there are players like this. Whilst the majority of the playerbase is in the medium range, there are a small percentage of players at higher MMR.

• anarchy753
    anarchy753 Member Posts: 4,212

Meanwhile for most of us the MMR works in the fashion of:

Play main - get 4 man sweat squads every match.

Play a brand new killer like Dredge who works absolutely nothing like your main and you need several matches to get in the swing of using - get stomped by 4 man sweat squads every match,