Why is being able to give up on the hook still a thing?

I_CAME
I_CAME Member Posts: 1,238
edited July 2022 in General Discussions

Every other solo queue game I play has someone doing this. Not happy that you were the first one down? Give up on the hook. Don't like the map? Give up on the hook. Didn't want to play against that killer? Give up on the hook. It's a waste of time for everyone else in the game. If not this then they just eat the laughable 5 minute penalty for DCing.

Post edited by EQWashu on

Comments

• NomiNomad
    NomiNomad Member Posts: 3,178

BHVR has clearly shown they don't consider it the same. Otherwise, killing yourself on hook probably wouldn't be a thing, or would have a punishment of some kind. The DC penalty doesn't stop somebody from DCing, it punishes them. And really, it only punishes multiple time offenders. Five minutes is nothing.

• Maverick_74F
    Maverick_74F Member Posts: 159

If they have a self unhook system it's going to come with risks and that's what the risk is, killing yourself. If they didn't want to force you they would take out the DC penalty

• NomiNomad
    NomiNomad Member Posts: 3,178

That's not true at all? Yes, that is the risk, but it's also a way to get out of the game.

BHVR has said multiple times that they're not trying to force anyone to stay in the game, but DCing/Killing yourself on hook tends to ruin the game for other players. The DC penalty is short, at first, because everybody has a bad game or needs to do something else every once in awhile. Repeat offenses are what get you the longer and longer bans.

Maybe BHVR see's the long-ass death animation as a suitable enough punishment, or the loss of your items/pips. That, and a killer still get's the chance to use any hook related perks at least once.

• Carth
    Carth Member Posts: 1,182

Because of the 4% mechanic. You would either need to remove it or change the penalty to not push you into stage two faster.

Like others have said though, people would just stay under the hook and refuse to move or run at the killer or start just wasting pallets all around the map to make the game end faster/miserable for everyone else.

• Tatt3dWon
    Tatt3dWon Member Posts: 514

It goes up the more you do it my friend had a 24 hour penalty was trying to see how high it would go the. Got scared they might get banned

• Lynxx
    Lynxx Member Posts: 510

If you've played the game long enough you can usually tell when you are on a sinking ship really fast.

I mean throw good money after bad or just cut and try the next.

• TheMadCat
    TheMadCat Member Posts: 2,203

But Killers can't do anything to leave early if they feel overwhelmed. Why just Survivors then?

I don't like the map? I give up on hook! I'm the Killer? Well, I give up on... Oh, wait...

When I was super new, I remember trying out Killer, and being against good Survivors. I wasn't able to catch them. They noticed. They stopped to do generators and started to hide. I had nothing to give up, I had to try find them.

Why Survivors can give up and no Killers? Maybe both role should/shouldn't have the option, but not only one side...

And DC isn't the answer I'm looking for.

• Entitled_survivor
    Entitled_survivor Member Posts: 828
    edited July 2022

Because reasons,,I will give up on hook vs legion / dredge/ twins ,,,are they oppresive ? NO. Are they Nurse lvl strong ? NO ,they are just unfun and i don't wanna spend a single minute playing vs those killers and there's nothing you can say or do to make me play those games

• HectorBrando
    HectorBrando Member Posts: 3,167

Its not the exact same, first of all if you suicide on hook at least the Killer had to catch you and first he has to find you in that time you may have changed your mind and decide to not suicide, unlike DCing which can be done 5 seconds into a game after you heard or saw something you didnt like.

If they really wanted to stop suicides on first hook they would just disable the self unhook and the skill check on second stage mechanics.

• Jago
    Jago Member Posts: 1,742

Give up on a hook then.

• cburton311
    cburton311 Member Posts: 407
    edited July 2022

What would the alternative be? Watch the unhooked survivor gather crows as they alt-tab out of the game? It wouldn't improve the quality of the match at all...the killer would just get a few extra blood points for the second hook.

• NekoGamerX
    NekoGamerX Member Posts: 5,277

this is all true I mean people say it ruin the game for 4 people but for 1 the killer i'm sure don't care and 2 it ruin the game for the other 3 survivors because it one less meat shield keep them safe other 3 don't really care about you unless you playing swf.

if i see survivor not doing anything or not coming for me I'm not going to waste my time in a game where i'm going to die anyway just to waste the killers time so 3 people i don't know can get out win.

• TheDarkTyrant
    TheDarkTyrant Member Posts: 2,074

It should probably just go back to how it was. If people are gonna do it, they'll do it whether you unhook them or not.

• CluelessWanderer
    CluelessWanderer Member Posts: 939
    edited July 2022

I usually see hook suicides in Solo queue when a Killer facecamps. Or with a Bubba with a basement camping build. I'm guilty of doing it myself sometimes because when it's the 4th match in a row staring into a Killers face, what's the point? They're obviously doing it to grief other players. So why should I entertain it? And it's a predictable 4K since Solo Q's don't know it's happening until it's too late, and the whole game is a wash.

The only other time, is like @Huge_Bush said; There I am dangling off the hook in the wind (first hook), and there are my team mates across the map. One is obviously in a chase with the Killer, because those little claw thingies around The Obsession are moving. But the other two team mates are too busy checking out chests, hiding in lockers etc to come unhook me. The time comes when it's obvious they either aren't paying attention/don't care and I try to unhook myself just before I go to struggle.

And then yes, I let go. Idiocy gets tiring. Or else, I'm the random with a 3 man SWF who only cares about themselves. Screw that lol. If the team legit made an attempt to save me before struggle but couldn't, that's different. Then of course I stick around.

If BHVR forced people to stick around through absolute misery by threat of punishment, a lot less people would keep playing.

• fulltonon
    fulltonon Member Posts: 5,762
    edited July 2022

It's really strange DCing is punished but suiciding isn't, both is effectively same.

• Beatricks
    Beatricks Member Posts: 857
    edited July 2022

Because if they took away our ability to go next when the Bubba is facecamping us and all three of our teammates are behind him crouching in a bush, even less of us would feel inclined to play.

• brewingtea
    brewingtea Member Posts: 242

I think a "Forfeit" vote would solve a lot of problems. If I saw that all of my teammates wanted to bail because RPD is awful, I'd rather have the option of compromising on a few matches than getting blindsided by some dbag who decided FOR THE TEAM that this match wasn't worth THEIR precious time

• fulltonon

But then that's pretty much same as dcing, dcing is against rules but purposefully throwing games aren't? strange, really.

• lauraa
    lauraa Member Posts: 3,195

If somebody really does not want to play anymore, they won't. So may as well give them a legitimate way out.

• fulltonon
  • hiken
    hiken Member Posts: 1,188
    edited July 2022

when i dont feel to play agaisnt a nurse i do it (only killer against i actually do it, i can stand a BOREDGION, Ping Pong guy who i can have fun against most time unless CARRY ring + CARRY compound 33 and still most times i do, but i cant stand the boredom of a killer without counterplay that even pressing dead hard the game is so SLOW that doesnt even trigger)

• syain
    syain Member Posts: 440

If one day they do get rid of it, get ready for many AFKers. Myself included.