The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Bragging Rights

No one cares if you have an exclusive skin, charm, background, rank or whatever. No one cares how long you've been playing the game for.

I don't understand why people on this forum are crying so much for a stupid reward. Find joy in playing the game instead of comparing dick sizes. It's so pathetic and immature to feel so entitled to a reward simply to show off. How much attention do you seriously crave? You didn't cure cancer ffs, you literally played a video game.

Comments

• geni
    geni Member Posts: 150

We just want free cosmetics

• drsoontm
    drsoontm Member Posts: 4,582

Keep in mind there are quite a lot of young players and not everybody matures at the same speed.

That being said people bragging about time spent on a game make no sense to me. Maybe if one is in the top 100 or something, it's worth a clap, or tipping one's hat, and that's it.

• BringShaggytoDBD
    BringShaggytoDBD Member Posts: 412

I don't have an issue with it, I have an issue with the constant entitled moaning and begging on the forums from people who think it's their right they be rewarded.

• fulltonon
    fulltonon Member Posts: 5,762

I hate exclusivity, I'd rather have something everyone can have than something only I can have tbh but I know I'm the minority.

• ArchAbhor
    ArchAbhor Member Posts: 847

Im kinda like that. Cant stand that I cant earn the legacy cosmetics just because i started playing late.

• Thusly_Boned
    Thusly_Boned Member Posts: 2,883

Some people are mad thirsty for that external validation. The same people who stand on the hatch or at the gate until they are seen.

• BringShaggytoDBD
    BringShaggytoDBD Member Posts: 412

You couldn't be more wrong. I have 12 characters who are P3 level 50 with all perks, I will get the reward. The rest granted are P0 Level 50. I've been playing DBD over 4 years so not from the beginning but for a long time. I don't have a gloating mentality, I play games for fun not to show off how long I've been playing the game for.

• TragicSolitude
    TragicSolitude Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 7,135

Meanwhile I'm over here wanting to hide my prestige levels. I have messages turned off, I'm always set as "offline" if I have the option, even my PS4 achievements are set to private. I don't want to "show off." I want to be invisible.

Sorry, I just wanted to take another opportunity to complain that BHVR has not made this optional. They've created a whole new grind and the entire premise of it is that it's another thing for players to compete over. And it's obviously going to be effective with the way so many people are talking about wanting a reward to show off. But for those of us who find this entire thing to be negative, who don't want to share our prestige levels or be influenced by seeing the prestige levels of others, it's not cool that BHVR is forcing this on us.

It's so pathetic and immature to feel so entitled to a reward simply to show off.

I mean, BHVR's own words and actions are at the root of this. The whole purpose of prestige is to show off, especially with the changes coming, and BHVR said people would be able to show off this reward and either misworded things or changed their mind; I mean, very few people think an icon and a portrait are the same thing. So, while I may not be petitioning for a better reward, I do think BHVR brought this on themselves.

• ShinobuSK
    ShinobuSK Member Posts: 5,279

Can you not disable prestige legacy in settings? I thought it was part of ptb

• TragicSolitude
    TragicSolitude Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 7,135

The animated portrait effects can be turned off (though I actually kind of like them and might leave them on). It's sharing my prestige levels with others on the tally screen that I dislike. (Did I see correctly that on the PTB prestige levels were also shown in lobbies before the match? Because if so I absolutely hate that.)

• ShinobuSK
    ShinobuSK Member Posts: 5,279

Oh that should be optional too. But BHVR doesnt like to give us almost any options, everything they do is either 1 or 0, yes or no. No customization whatsoever.

I havent noticed prestige levels are displayed even before match starts, if thats true then I dont like it at all

• D3spair
    D3spair Member Posts: 715

idk man, If I see a Legacy Skin Survivor on my Match and it's a less than 500 Hours DBD Hours Player. Imma Bail. So I care for exclusive skins and Crap.

• ZVom
    ZVom Member Posts: 199

Completely agree with OP. No need to show off anything. Scratch marks on portraits are cool enough imo.

• ProfoundEnding
    ProfoundEnding Member Posts: 2,334

But you did it I'm assuming to get the bloody clothes, which you did. Nothing is being taken from you.

You didn't start prestiging them specifically because you thought there would be more rewards, unless you did it AFTER the announcement, in which case they already said the reward wasn't a cosmetic or charm so I don't know what you were expecting.

• Marigoria
    Marigoria Member Posts: 6,090
  • Voriis
    Voriis Member Posts: 131

What skin are we talking about?

• ProfoundEnding

And you've accomplished that. You were never promised a reward for doing so.

• Marigoria
    Marigoria Member Posts: 6,090

They did promise a reward tho. And it is trash.

Why do you even care about people who care about rewards? jealous bc you didnt complete yours?

• squbax
    squbax Member Posts: 1,438

I tend to disagree a lot with you but you kinda based today.

All I can get from these is bhvr doesn't have to put effort in anything they do regarding player rewards or something thats not a microtransaction and people will still defend them.

So in the future why even put any effort onto non-paid stuff? Literally this happened on the last blight event, it seemed no one learned from that fiasco.

• deKlaw_04
    deKlaw_04 Member Posts: 3,660

I’m definitely gonna leave them on. Happy that us console (I’m ps4) players finally get something

• MrMori
    MrMori Member Posts: 1,432

Just wanna inform you, I actually have every single character prestiged, just so you know. It's kind of an exclusive thing, not everyone has it you know.

• pseudechis
    pseudechis Member Posts: 3,904

Careful or you'll stir up a nest of entitled customers and anyone who's ever worked in customer service know what they can be like.

You've got some up in arms already. (funnily enough a lot of them are folks whom also complain a lot about everything else in game so it kinda externally verifies my asumptions and makes me smile a lil to see it).

While there is nothing wrong with a sense of achievment, even with something that's meaningless, it can breed a tedious form of elitism and entitlement that is really on the nose. Especially when its over something as trivial as a computer game.

• Lycidas
    Lycidas Member Posts: 1,170

I'd direct you to this consideration by @ArchAbhor

This one from @Bwsted

And this one from @Nitpohls

It's not like players came up with the idea of the reward themselves and pretended to receive it.

BHVR said there was going to be a special reward being VERY secretive about it, and everyone understandably though it was going to be a skin or something to show off.

BHVR basically came out and said "No it's not going to be a skin, but don't worry, you'll still be able to show off", ok people were a bit let down but ehy, at least you'll be able to show off.

Then PTB came, not only the reward was something that you could NOT show off, but it was uglier than Dredge as well.

People complained about it, but can you say they were being entitled?

Now BHVR changed how the reward looks, but the point of the complaints was not only the fact that it was ugly, and BHVR didn't do ANYTHING to address those complaints.

Would people be entitled if they were to ask BHVR to stick to their words, for once?

It is a computer game, but people are dedicated to it, and brushing off their efforts like it's nothing it's disrespecting them.

• pseudechis
    pseudechis Member Posts: 3,904

You must have missed this piece of my post...

"While there is nothing wrong with a sense of achievement, even with something that's meaningless, it can breed a tedious form of elitism and entitlement that is really on the nose. Especially when its over something as trivial as a computer game."

Which basically already says what the posts you highlight say but without any of the self aggrandizing that I'm referring to.

I'm proud of a lot of realistically meaningless things that I've been involved in, but there is a difference to feeling a sense of achievement and letting that sense of achievement turn you into a whiney expectant child with an emotional napoleon complex.

"BHVR said there was going to be a special reward being VERY secretive about it, and everyone understandably though it was going to be a skin or something to show off."

They were pretty clear that it wasn't going to be anything grand and stated that it wasn't a wearable cosmetic or costume. The release even said some players may be underwhelmed by it in an attempt to curb expectations.

Lots of people live in a lil alternative reality vacuum and only heard what they wanted to. So they jumped to conclusions about it because they felt they deserved something for "achieving" what is basically time spent online playing a game.

Lets take a step back and ask what have people really done... well they spent a lot of time playing a game, wow give em a fricken medal for it. Now people are upset that they didn't get their self vaunted medal. Lets review some of these...

Statements like "bait and switch" implying they were cheated or scammed which is just silly.

"Why does it matter actually? Very naively, because those people are customers. Why do they have an argument? Because the original purpose of prestiging was bragging rights. You pay a hefty ingame price to get a cosmetics to show off." <- Classic I'm a paying customer! guy, whom payed a very hefty in game price, my god compensate this man!

You don't pay any price to play DBD its fun, you buy it and you play it for the fun. There is no hefty in game price to pay what a completely ridiculous sentiment.

The OP states this albeit in a rather aggressive way and I'm inclined to agree with them to an extent. I like free stuff too, I've played a lot of DBD and if they give me free stuff for sticking with DBD for so long then great! Love it. More free stuff may make me stick around for longer too.

But lets not let that time spent evolve into a false sense of achievement that deserves reward, because when you step back from it and take a good look... you really haven't done ######### that's worthy of any reward.

• premiumRICE
    premiumRICE Member Posts: 798

You don’t need a promotion, just keep working and moving those boxes

• Lycidas
    Lycidas Member Posts: 1,170
    edited July 2022

They were pretty clear that it wasn't going to be anything grand and stated that it wasn't a wearable cosmetic or costume. The release even said some players may be underwhelmed by it in an attempt to curb expectations.

Way too many people "misunderstood" the fact that the so called "reward" was going to be visible to other players and give bragging rights to whoever had it.

Even Fog Whisperers said they were let down by what they received. Fog Whisperers.

We're not talking about people screaming "I WANT MY LEGACY SKIN REEEEEEEEEEEEE" because it was clear (not from the beginning, but they cleared that up early enough) that the reward was not going to be a skin, we're talking about people who are upset by the fact that the main purpose of what they did (Prestiging = Bragging rights for having the bloody skins) is being taken away from them since everyone will have those now.

• ThiccBudhha
    ThiccBudhha Member Posts: 6,987

Not to be pedantic. But if I care, then the statement that nobody cares is inherently false. My huge "m1" is also sure to earn praise and fear to all those who encounter it.

In other words, hard disagree, I am better than you because I got a 4 man Condemned as my day one p3 Sadako. Ah yeah, take that flex, boy.

• ProfoundEnding

I have all the characters prestiged that I care about. I paid attention to what they said about the reward, therefore I'm not upset when it was fully revealed.

• Mr_K
    Mr_K Member Posts: 9,184

😭

• Thusly_Boned
    Thusly_Boned Member Posts: 2,883

Yeah, the reward was feeble, but anyone paying any attention at all to BHVR's messaging about it should have expected as much. It was made abundantly clear that it wasn't going to be much.

The shock and indignation over it is kind of absurd.