Nurse: I think the tome lore benefits her character more than it takes away

Options
A_Can_Of_Air
A_Can_Of_Air Member Posts: 1,996
edited July 2022 in Lore

When further lore was revealed for Nurse, I saw a lot of complaints about how it ruined her character and made her less likeable/sympathetic. I understood that sentiment around the time but the more I think about it, the more I feel it doesn’t make much sense.

Her base lore paints her in a sympathetic light. She’s a woman who lost everything she wanted and was forced to work at an insane asylum, driving her insane over the years to the point where thoughts of “purification” emerged inside her. This aspect is focused on in the lore and shows us that Sally isn’t really as much of a victim as we thought she was. Yes, having all she held dear stolen from her by a sick twist of fate was horrible, and is something that some people could even relate to, but who she “really is” as a character was never explored in the base lore, so we had no idea.

Now we know she isn’t as sympathetic of a character as we thought and I think some people don’t like that, but I’m just glad we have a female killer that isn’t just a sob story. She is actually someone who’s ideologies are something most people wouldn’t agree with, and she even goes as far as to carry them out on (mostly) innocent people.

I don’t think Nurses lore ever rubbed me the wrong way because it was great to get an insight into her character and be made aware that she actually isn’t as nice of a person as I might have thought. It adds depth to her and I think I let other peoples opinions of the lore sway my own.

Comments

• Sally_S_gay_son
    Sally_S_gay_son Member Posts: 284
    Options

I agree, even though someone might argue that she is like that because of what happened to her but to me it seems like Sally was never really a truly good person

If you take a look at the rest of the female killer cast all of them are actually good people lol, they are either underage victims (Sadako, Rin, Lisa), have tragic past (Carmina, Charlotte, Ana? I mean she is not mentally capable enough to actually be evil, she's just teritorial/childlike) and Adiris is literally convinced Entity is her God or something like that

The only other one to me that seems evil is Amanda and that's it, but she also has a tragic story, and the Legion girls are just edgy tryhards lbr

I mean a lot of male killers have tragic stories as well but people like Clown, Doctor, Ghostie, Trickster are actually horrible people. I am hoping the next female killer will be something super evil

• A_Can_Of_Air
    A_Can_Of_Air Member Posts: 1,996
    edited July 2022
    Options

After re-reading her lore it’s clear that the broken woman influenced her and was the catalyst for her descent into madness. The asylum whittled her down and the broken woman sealed the deal. The very end of the lore shows us that she accepts her duty and she knows what she wants to do. I get the feeling that the darkness was always in her but the events that followed the death of her husband brought that darkness to the surface and allowed it to consume her.

• TheMimic77
    TheMimic77 Member Posts: 24
    Options

The first introduction was literally the descent.. Hadnt it been for the broken chained woman, I think Sally would've not been this Way.so that was the snapping night were it began