Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

Scary Music= Scary Game, change the music?

I was watching the original trailers from before this game was first released back in 2016 and the game looked so much scarier in them, it felt tense and full of dread. It was scenic and seeing the killer actually felt scary, but we've all been playing this game and it isn't scary. Yeah, you could say that having skillful Survivors, Survivors who are really quick or troll you takes the fear out but I think the reason is deeper than that.

When you hunt a Survivor you hear this thrilling jungle vibe hunting music like you're watching Predator, when you're being hunted by the killer you hear something equally thrilling but it's not scary. Listening to those old trailers, the music and sounds were what was causing that dread. I think the music for Survivors being chased should be something actually scary, not normal chase music but something eery and dark that builds up and gets louder and louder as the killer gets closer and closer to the hit, something menacing that gets your heart pumping real fear. When you hunt a Survivor as Killer it should of course be different but it should be more sinister with a hint of sadism, an evil creeping sound that gets also gets progressively darker but reaches a glorious satisfying climax when you down someone. Not this, jungle hunt and then hey it's over now you got em.

Also, I think the game itself needs more background noise, maybe crickets, some wind, more rain, trees creaking etc. There is no background noise right now, it's really quite until you're doing a Gen or getting chased and I get that that's intentional to make you feel isolated but when you have lots of Survivors who are very coordinated and are amazing at escaping chases it doesn't FEEL isolated. When you're alone in the woods yeah it's eerily quiet but you can still hear the crickets and the wind moving through the trees, the snaps of twigs, your own breathing, etc. I just think if the sound team made a whole new set of music for the general game it would feel much scarier and could actually feel like a Survival Horror game, it never has felt like that; this is more of a bloody action game with horror themes. I know they are bringing in new graphics because of the new engine but maybe their next change could be the music? I think it would be a great change and that everyone can agree with this.

Comments

• redsopine01
    redsopine01 Member Posts: 1,269
    Poo poo that makes sense sneaking survivors with urban making small noises would be a good move 
  • Master
    Master Member Posts: 10,200

DBD is not a scary game

• redsopine01
    redsopine01 Member Posts: 1,269
    Ment ooo ooo autocorrect strikes again
  • Avariku
    Avariku Member Posts: 608
    Master said:

DBD is not a scary game

its claimed as a 4v1 asymmetrical HORROR game.  it's not even really "horror" as it really should be... 

unfortunately the scariest thing about DBD is the matchmaking and rank system.
  • HatCreature
    HatCreature Member Posts: 3,298

@alivebydeadight said:

@Master said:
    DBD is not a scary game

unless myers just comes out of thin air then that will scare the hell out of you

Every time, in the beginning, I was terrified of Wraith but Myers is above all in the terror factor.

• ReneAensland
    ReneAensland Member Posts: 838

I don't like the dying music. When you're about 20% leftover life while in the dying phase the music gets ridiculously loud.

• Master

@alivebydeadight said:

@Master said:
    DBD is not a scary game

unless myers just comes out of thin air then that will scare the hell out of you

Thats a jumpscare that happened twice to me this year, but only once until you realize that he is runnign that build, then you just loop him for hours since he has basically the same movement speed

• DarkWo1f997
    DarkWo1f997 Member Posts: 1,532
    NO! The soundtrack is fanstastic. They need to add MORE. The survivor’s have good atmospheric music, the problem is that the killer has very little in that soundtrack department. 

I really wish that the survivor chase music music was shared with the killer. 
  • HatCreature

@DarkWo1f997 said:
    NO! The soundtrack is fanstastic. They need to add MORE. The survivor’s have good atmospheric music, the problem is that the killer has very little in that soundtrack department. 

I can totally agree with the Survivor having better chase music, I'm mostly just trying to say we need more music, scarier tense music.

• DarkWo1f997

@DarkWo1f997 said:

I can totally agree with the Survivor having better chase music, I'm mostly just trying to say we need more music, scarier tense music.

Well the survivor music is 10/10. As long as no tracks are replaced I’m ok with it. But I’d like some sinister tracks to play for the killer. I think that’s why Myers is so enjoyable to play. 
  • HatCreature

@DarkWo1f997 said:
    HatCreature said:

@DarkWo1f997 said:

Well the survivor music is 10/10. As long as no tracks are replaced I’m ok with it. But I’d like some sinister tracks to play for the killer. I think that’s why Myers is so enjoyable to play. 

Exactly my point! Myers is enjoyable to play and run from because of his special sinister music.

• MojoTheFabulous
    MojoTheFabulous Member Posts: 2,015

If people want the game to be scary it's gonna need to be changed very frequently because you'll just get used to it and it will no longer be scary.

• HatCreature

@MojoTheFabulous said:
    If people want the game to be scary it's gonna need to be changed very frequently because you'll just get used to it and it will no longer be scary.

That's why it should just be changed to something actually scary instead of something intense, right now it's just intense, not moody or creeping.

• Attackfrog
    Attackfrog Member Posts: 1,134

@Master said:
    DBD is not a scary game

The forums are scarier.

There should be scary music playing on the forums.

• DarkWo1f997

@Master said:
    DBD is not a scary game

The forums are scarier.

r/survivorsubforums
  • Master

@Attackfrog said:

@Master said:
    DBD is not a scary game

The forums are scarier.

Would be nice

• MojoTheFabulous
    MojoTheFabulous Member Posts: 2,015

@HatCreature said:

@MojoTheFabulous said:

That's why it should just be changed to something actually scary instead of something intense, right now it's just intense, not moody or creeping.

But, like I said, you'd get used to it. Then the Devs would need to change it again because no one is scared anymore. It'll be an endless cycle.

• SanKa_Games
    SanKa_Games Member Posts: 201

@Master said:

@alivebydeadight said:

@Master said:
    DBD is not a scary game

Thats a jumpscare that happened twice to me this year, but only once until you realize that he is runnign that build, then you just loop him for hours since he has basically the same movement speed

Do you know that Monitor & Abuse is just enoguh for causing heart attacks? And there's also Dead Rabbit add-on.
    Oh, and Pig can also sometimes scare you so much. And so can any killer with Insidious if they position correctly.

But MM is just the only thing that is truly scary here. Whenever you learn that you're facing MM you start moving camera to every direction paniking every time you hear someone movind behind that wall.

• Master

@Master said:

@alivebydeadight said:

@Master said:
    DBD is not a scary game

Do you know that Monitor & Abuse is just enoguh for causing heart attacks? And there's also Dead Rabbit add-on.
    Oh, and Pig can also sometimes scare you so much. And so can any killer with Insidious if they position correctly.

But MM is just the only thing that is truly scary here. Whenever you learn that you're facing MM you start moving camera to every direction paniking every time you hear someone movind behind that wall.

PI is more like vroom vroom - here I come. I'm like ok, I'll stand up and sprint away :lol:
    Not really scary TBH. 
    Versing a good nurse, that can indeed be scary but since I play solo my mates usually suicide in these games and destroy all the enjoyment 
  • lindechene
    lindechene Member Posts: 76

When you hunt a Survivor you hear this thrilling jungle vibe hunting music like you're watching Predator, when you're being hunted by the killer you hear something equally thrilling but it's not scary

The music is pumping adrenaline but it is certainly not scary.
    It seems to encourage chase instead of promoting hide and seek.

Something scary does not loose its effect if it remains to be threatening to the survival.
    The most threatening thing when trying to survive is any noise that gives away your location.

A combination of silence, eerie background sound and noises created by both survivors and killers could build up to a more terrifying experience.

• Glass scattered in random places in the tiles could produce noise
    • A metal can that drops down from a box when passing close by
    • floor panels that creak when you step on them
    • window shutters that slam in the wind
    • wooden doors that need to be opened silently
    • automatic doors that trigger when passing by to close
    • automatic lights that switch on and create a flickering sound

. . .

The possibilities for scary sound effects and the threat they could create for gameplay are infinite.
    Less aura reading and running aimlessly around but more hiding and listening would be my horror game of choice.
    . . .

• HatCreature

@lindechene said:

When you hunt a Survivor you hear this thrilling jungle vibe hunting music like you're watching Predator, when you're being hunted by the killer you hear something equally thrilling but it's not scary

The music is pumping adrenaline but it is certainly not scary.
    It seems to encourage chase instead of promoting hide and seek.

Something scary does not loose its effect if it remains to be threatening to the survival.
    The most threatening thing when trying to survive is any noise that gives away your location.

A combination of silence, eerie background sound and noises created by both survivors and killers could build up to a more terrifying experience.

• Glass scattered in random places in the tiles could produce noise
    • A metal can that drops down from a box when passing close by
    • floor panels that creak when you step on them
    • window shutters that slam in the wind
    • wooden doors that need to be opened silently
    • automatic doors that trigger when passing by to close
    • automatic lights that switch on and create a flickering sound

. . .

The possibilities for scary sound effects and the threat they could create for gameplay are infinite.
    Less aura reading and running aimlessly around but more hiding and listening would be my horror game of choice.
    . . .

Exactly what I'm trying to get across thank you :)

• starkiller1286
    starkiller1286 Member Posts: 889

@DarkWo1f997 said:

It would be great if they had options for the music that plays when being chased, searching, and main menu.