BBQ nerf is why killers are stronger now

GooseMan
GooseMan Member Posts: 104

BBQ nerf feels like one of the reasons why killers are stronger now, in addition to other buffs.

Most killers were running BBQ to get more bloodpoints, only few of them were actually using aura reading to their advantage. Now when there is no extra bloodpoints they just slap extra slowdown instead - basically, the same effect as extra perk slot, which would be a massive buff for either side.

And another thing - without BBQ there is no reason to leave the hook to patrol gens far away, so camping and going back to the hook is more appealing now.

Discuss?

Comments

• AReallyBoredHuman
    AReallyBoredHuman Member Posts: 48

This is a pretty accurate evaluation, combine this with the fact that less people than ever are running ruin/undying and hexes in general so for the most part killers have perks that are active the whole match.

• War_Priest
    War_Priest Member Posts: 7

from a killer perspective, yes. its quite accurate. i admit half the time i forgot to look at the auras it gave me, and if i used it, i hunted someone far away usually.

now its off most of my killers, and i have stronger perks put into its place, and I will say, i can totally feel the extra slot being used

• FriendlyKiller
    FriendlyKiller Member Posts: 337

This is totally completely true. I've had BBQ on for YEARS. It's like on top of the other killer buffs I got an additional perk slot.

• TheWheelOfCheese
    TheWheelOfCheese Member Posts: 666

This is probably accurate in the general case. Personally, I've always loved Whispers but didn't always have room in my build for it, feeling obligated to run BBQ and some slowdown, so I've just been swapping in Whispers most of the time.

• Bwsted
    Bwsted Member Posts: 3,452

It might be a factor. But in general killer are stronger because this patch made them stronger and survivors weaker.

Even if you still run BBQ, you'd be a lot more lethal than pre-patch.

• NerfedFreddy
    NerfedFreddy Member Posts: 394

Literally irrelevant

pre-nerf bbq + 3 slowdowns or 4 slowdowns are almost the same thing and gens that are eternity to complete

• dugman
    dugman Member Posts: 9,713

The BBQ change isn’t a huge factor in the kill rates. For one thing, almost half the people that used it are still using it now because they liked its auras, the bloodpoints was just icing on the cake for them. Especially with killers that can traverse the map quickly it’s still showing up in loadouts of people who like that consistency of seeing the aura right after a hook.

I think the much bigger factors are

• 10 seconds extra per gen is significant. Imagine all the times you walked to a gen early in a match and it finished as you went there. Now those gens have up to 10 seconds left to go, it’s turned those from being the gen being done to you driving them off it. It’s not a small change.
    • The shorter stun times for killers after hits and pallets and breaks and such helps a bit. It’s not as big as the gen timer change but it’s not totally trivial.
    • 70% of above average MMR survivors used Dead Hard. Now the perk is seeing much, much less use. And it shows because I’m often seeing survivors not reaching pallets and vaults that, had they had Dead Hard for distance in their pocket, I know they would have gotten to it before I could hit them. I guarantee some of the kill rate increase is solely because survivors are still getting used to routing without that perk.
    • Decisive Strike was nerfed into the ground, I was already not really paying much attention to it pre-patch and post patch it seems totally useless, that 3 seconds gives them very little distance. Hypothetically it’s been replaced by Off the Record, but again I think survivors are still getting used to that shift so are misplaying Off the Record by, for instance, intentionally using it to bodyblock when its not necessary.

I think the first two factors above (gen speed and faster recoveries) are what will keep kill rates higher post patch, probably by about 8% or something. I think the latter two factors are short term changes, they have more to do with people getting used to the changes and the loadouts and tactics adapating, so they’re probably increasing the kill rates another 8% or so right this instant but eventually that will go away.

• GooseMan
    GooseMan Member Posts: 104

Do you consider the fact that pre-patch gen regression was nerfed?

3 perks of post-patch gen regression would be way weaker than 3 perks of pre-patch gen regression... But now it's 4 perks.