They totally blew it at The Game Awards

Options

Don't get me wrong i am just as happy as everyone else that we are finally getting dedicated servers but this presentation was just horrible. A pretty cool 20-30 seconds compilation of killers and survivors trailers. Mathieu Cote on stage after saying "Dedicated Servers. Bye." Another 20 seconds trailer showing Legion. Thats it really? I'm not disappointed about them not showing any new and special content, i'm disappointed that they managed to ruin such a big chance to truly show what an amazing game Dead by daylight is. Millions are watching and to get people to come to the game all you say is "Dedicated servers" New players couldn't possibly care less about that. You had the chance to truly show something amazing that potential new players along with old players would go crazy about.

Comments

• DwightsLifeMatters
    DwightsLifeMatters Member Posts: 1,649
    edited December 2018
    Options
    I'm mixed with that. 
    Maybe they could have done more about it, but what exactly? I wouldn't really know what I would show tbh
  • Hibbsan
    Hibbsan Member Posts: 12
    Options

@DwightsLifeMatters said:
    I'm mixed with that. 
    Maybe they could have done more about it, but what exactly? I wouldn't really know what I would show tbh

There were so many millions of potential players watching TGA. You do not simply just say "Dedicated Servers" and leave it at that when you truly had such a chance to lure so many new players in.

If you had never seen DBD before, this was your first time. You wouldn't care for even a second that we are getting dedicated servers. Why would you care about that for a game you don't play or have never even heard of?

I can't possibly tell you what they could have shown that would have been better but to me they really did blow it when it came to attracting those millions of people that were watching. They could have done so much better and increased the playercount without a doubt.

• Hibbsan
    Options

@Iceman said:
    @Hibbsan

This is an award show, you are given a short amount of time to say something. What Dead By Daylight presented is enough to get people interested to see what the game is about. And Dead By Daylight is not huge franchise so it was great that they had the opportunity to speak. 

What they did is totally going to bring in some new players, definitely. But catering that much to the current playerbase when there are millions of potential players watching that you could somehow blow away with some really sick licensed killer, some cool new gameplay, gamemode, anything really. They should have focused on bringing in tons of new players instead of even mentioning dedicated servers. They could have easily posted about dedicated servers right after TGA and it would still have been an insane announcement that people would have been just as happy and hyped about.

• Oblitiry
    Oblitiry Member Posts: 487
    Options
    Come play DBD! Our community is amazing! Every one is crying on our forum 50% of the time, 100% of the time. You'll love it!

They got to show a nice compilation of the games trailers to draw people in. On top of showing the new trailer. The announcement was for us, the already established player base.
  • BunnyTheHutt
    BunnyTheHutt Member Posts: 1,773
    Options

@Oblitiry said:
    Come play DBD! Our community is amazing! Every one is crying on our forum 50% of the time, 100% of the time. You'll love it!

They got to show a nice compilation of the games trailers to draw people in. On top of showing the new trailer. The announcement was for us, the already established player base.

If this is true then they wasted the potential. Even as an established player it was incredibly disappointing, so new players will defiantly say no to it. They didn't even show what the Legion's power is. He just stabbed David and thats that. Nothing about it is interesting. And for the dedicated servers bit, I would turn tail and run from the game that has been up for years and is JUST NOW getting servers up.

• Hibbsan
    Options

@Oblitiry said:

Am i the only one that realize what a stupid mistake it really is to make an announcement for the established playerbase when you seriously have the chance to show your game off at such a big event?

The right thing to do here would have been to have something prepared. A new licensed killer that most people out there actually know. Some brand new gamemode. Showing off cosmetics for licensed killers. They could have done so much better to bring in players and boost the playerbase like it deserves. I'm by no means shitting on the game, i really love it and it just does disappoint me when potential like this goes to waste. Who knows the next time DBD will ever have another chance to stand infront of millions and millions of people.

I suppose i'm the only one here that truly see the potential they had to increase the playerbase like crazy if they had played their cards right.

• HatCreature
    HatCreature Member Posts: 3,298
    Options

I was watching it with other people and they didn't know what DBD was but just from seeing that compilation they were interested and to be fair it was pretty exciting to watch it.

My only beef with it was they were hyping us all for this huge thing at the Game Awards and it was just a reveal for dedicated servers. I mean yes it is what everyone has been asking for this entire time so a lot of people are most definitely excited about that but I thought it was going to be something bigger. I was cheering.

• ReneAensland
    ReneAensland Member Posts: 838
    Options

Get out of here dude, I'm glad they showed the DLC because killers like, Myers, Amanda, Freddy, and Leatherface have weight to it. They're not knock off, they're the real deal. It showed what this game has, the rest is up to their curiosity.
    Jesus dude.

• Attackfrog
    Attackfrog Member Posts: 1,134
    Options

If you are a gamer and don't know what dead by daylight is by now, you either don't care or live on the other side of the moon.

It's not huge but It's present. People that aren't interested have probably heard of it but don't entirely know the scope of it.

I played in beta, thought it sucked...quit...Then when they added licensed content (famous killers) started again and fell in love.

I believe there are a lot of people out there that would love it but just haven't quite been hooked. That little presentation was a very enticing ad for anyone who was on the fence, especially with a recent rise in popularity of certain licensed killers.

• Tsulan
    Tsulan Member Posts: 15,095
    Options
    I assume the price to make announcements on the game awards is pretty expensive. That's why they kept it short.
  • BeanieEnthusiast
    BeanieEnthusiast Member Posts: 213
    Options

Honestly what did you expect from these developers? I didn't expect anything more.

• Stompa
    Stompa Member Posts: 154
    Options

at least cote didnt came up with "it just works"
    but yeah, 2018 has been the year of announcements, we will see when it hits and how stabile it wil be.
    whats the worst that could happen? i mean bhvr has a reputation for quality am i rite?

• powerbats
    powerbats Member Posts: 7,068
    Options

So you get an ad spot during the super bowl and get given 30 seconds, do you blah blah blah about new game modes which the only ones that'll care are your current player base. No you showcase both the current product along with the upcoming one to get newer players interested.

Besides for your current player base you just announced dedicated servers and it doesn't even cost you a thing. It's like hey they announced something we want and it's free but we wanted more.

Oh by the way screw trying to entice newer players instead tell us more that you'll announce during a devstream anyways.

• twistedmonkey
    twistedmonkey Member Posts: 4,291
    Options

You know sometimes more is less when it comes to advertising, peaking an interest so they research it themselves as there is only so much you can say in a certain time frame.

I have never watched any game events live, what I do is check websites and if a game seems interesting I will watch videos on youtube and research it.

• laKUKA
    laKUKA Member Posts: 406
    edited December 2018
    Options

The video presentation with all the killers was amazing!
    It would seem that the game has the graphics of resident evil 7 and atmospheric terror of silent hill. If I did not know the game, I would go without hesitation to buy it

• The_Crusader
    The_Crusader Member Posts: 3,688
    Options
    I was hoping this announcemenr would entirely be dedicated to a DS nerf.
  • alivebydeadight
    alivebydeadight Member Posts: 1,559
    Options

@Carpemortum said:
    This whole community.

Community: "Stfu we just want dedicated servers give them to us now!"

Cote: "were announcing dedicated servers!"

Community: " omg you wasted your time with that! Forget that we got what weve been asking for let's just continue to meme you for wasting time by telling us you're giving us what we want."

when lol is needed

• ChesterTheMolester
    ChesterTheMolester Member Posts: 2,771
    Options
    powerbats said:

So you get an ad spot during the super bowl and get given 30 seconds, do you blah blah blah about new game modes which the only ones that'll care are your current player base. No you showcase both the current product along with the upcoming one to get newer players interested.

Besides for your current player base you just announced dedicated servers and it doesn't even cost you a thing. It's like hey they announced something we want and it's free but we wanted more.

Oh by the way screw trying to entice newer players instead tell us more that you'll announce during a devstream anyways.

I doubt that most people that never heard about or played DBD know or care if its dedicated servers or P2P.
  • Boss
    Boss Member Posts: 13,614
    Options

Well it's a TGA show, not E3.
    Main thing is deciding what game should win, bet that they couldn't fit a lot in anyway.

• Jesya
    Jesya Member Posts: 1,101
    edited December 2018
    Options

I think showcasing most killers like they did was enjoyable and certainly would make some curious about the game. I wish instead of showing off the huntress at least 4x they would have shown wraith and Billy which weren't shown at all. I mean all the killers are beautifully rendered in their own right.

• Detective_Jonathan
    Detective_Jonathan Member Posts: 1,165
    Options

How about you just go back to playing the game. Because we all know good and well as much as you ######### talk this game you most likely will still be waking up in the morning to play it.

• ReneAensland
    ReneAensland Member Posts: 838
    Options

@Detective_Jonathan said:
    How about you just go back to playing the game. Because we all know good and well as much as you ######### talk this game you most likely will still be waking up in the morning to play it.

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn!

• powerbats
    Options

Logic bomb hits and it's very effective all trolls arguments are instantly destroyed. 😜😜😜😜😜😜

• Hibbsan
    edited December 2018
    Options

@ReneAensland

@powerbats

Feel free to point out where i trash talked the game? Not even once did i say anything about the game being bad. I'm talking trash to the developers for failing to actually show the game well on TGA to get new players.

• powerbats
    Options

@Hibbsan said:

@ReneAensland

@powerbats

Feel free to point out where i trash talked the game? Not even once did i say anything about the game being bad. I'm talking trash to the developers for failing to actually show the game well on TGA to get new players.

You obviously missed all my tongue sticking out emotes that I purposely put in there as SARCASM so that people would know I was joking.

My comment was more directed at the actual trolls in various threads bashing them just to bash them usually because they HATE McCote.