This is the 2nd time in DBD history where we gotten a gain loss of -10K+ (-12,182)

Rise432
Rise432 Member Posts: 162
edited August 2022 in General Discussions

It also happened that last month during June it got its biggest gain ever of 17 000+.

I feel like this was one of the most hyped update yet that also was a big let down for a lot of players....

And no, I am not saying the game is dying, the avg player is still around 30-40K with peaks of 60K+ its just a bit worrying cause we only had this big hit of lost gain when SBMM was in its final phase before relase (Late August 2021-early September)

DBD is on a rough path right now, soloq has gotten more miserable. killer queues are still over 5 minutes no matter what time of the day u playing.

The perk grind is reduced but the actual grind is still the same, on top of it we still dont BP incentives active

cheaters running rampant

bugged killers

and much, much more. DBD need a pure health patch ASAP, it will benefit BHVR in the long term

Comments

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,212

I haven't experienced long killer queues at all. Mostly instant queues.

That being said, the update was a bit of a letdown. The grind doesn't really feel different. It actually feels worse for add ons.

They focus way too much on queue times and not enough on match quality. It leads to bad experiences in solo queue where everyone really needs to be on the same level.

• Rogue11
    Rogue11 Member Posts: 1,409

If you look at the numbers from every previous year, there really isn't a huge drop off in July right after the anniversary event. Even last year, it increased in July. The two massive drops were following midchapter patches that a large number of players hated. MMR last year and the current update.

They might go back up with the 2nd RE chapter. Capcom really should be considering another asym game with how their license has basically carried DBD for the last two years.

• CluelessWanderer
    CluelessWanderer Member Posts: 939

A bigger console player base but the DBD Devs never give a crap about console optimization.

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,212
    edited August 2022

Weirdly enough, I get instant queues for both roles at peak hours on NA East lately

• KolbyKolbyKolby
    KolbyKolbyKolby Member Posts: 623

If you want a really cool comparison look at July this year compared to last

• toxik_survivor
    toxik_survivor Member Posts: 1,184

Rubber banding isn't a thing on console lmao. Or atleats on ps4

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,775

That's not usually how it goes.

July has been a historically good month for DBD.

• ThiccBudhha
    ThiccBudhha Member Posts: 6,987

Project W will carry us. I believe.

If SADAKO almost did it, the second Resident Evil chapter will definitely do it. Not a doubt in my mind. Even if he is a basic m1 with no other redeemable qualities.

• Dead_Harder
    Dead_Harder Member Posts: 1,370

Oh no, anyway

• Sludge
    Sludge Member Posts: 768
    edited August 2022

DBDs numbers have been dropping on steam for months, it's been dropping ever since MMR and Boons, long before the killer update. The anniversary created a bubble and now it's going back to pre-anniversary numbers (not there yet)

It doesn't mean anything other then the anniversary gave a boost and now things are going back to where they were. It will take months to see what effect it had, if any. Did people think there would be a massive surge of players?

• hailxsatanxeveryxday
    hailxsatanxeveryxday Member Posts: 913

So... we gained 17,000 players, and then we lost 12,000, which means we're still ahead by 5,000.

Right?

And they wouldn't be doing a new Resident Evil chapter if the last one hadn't made them an assload of money. I think they could do better than Wesker (Jack from RE7 was legitimately terrifying), but that'll draw in new players.

The AoT skins will draw in more insufferable weebs when the word gets around, too. I'm not concerned about the health of the game.

• realflashboss
    realflashboss Member Posts: 328

Its a death, but a slow one imo.

The game wont just outright die because it has too many good things in its niche such as all the licenses and little to no comparative competition.

All my friends (some playing around 4-5k hours) and the rest between 1-3k hours have already quit the game months ago. A couple of us played post patch to give it a try again and after a few days realised nothing has changed for the positive so continued to uninstall again.

My reality is i've watched people who were obsessed with the game for years (and willed it to remain fun) see it do the opposite. Its been months on now and the first 4 guys still dont want to play at all and have zero interest.

• Bwsted
    Bwsted Member Posts: 3,452

Chapters are planned one year in advance.

As for players' count, the trend is the relevant part. If you had a hole in the tank of your car, you wouldn't stop worrying about it just because you refueled $17 of oil and only leaked out 12 so far.

• danielmaster87
    danielmaster87 Member Posts: 9,090

Stop the cheaters, make the grind less, and keep balancing around rewarding skilled play.

• SweetTerror
    SweetTerror Member Posts: 2,695

Rubber banding exists even on consoles. I play on PS5 and I've seen it plenty of times.

• Alphasoul05
    Alphasoul05 Member Posts: 601

1 year = history

• Viskod
    Viskod Member Posts: 854

Consistent 50k steam player base with more than hop in depending on the time of year / other releases / new characters / in game events.

"The game is dying!"

• Audis
    Audis Member Posts: 18

It will go up again. Every game has ups and downs. Next Licensed chapter will be big hype, next survivor-sided update will be big hype, whenever 1 famous twitch streamer plays the game, number will also go up etc.

• ButterFlee13
    ButterFlee13 Member Posts: 269

Data in 2020 - 21 is covid season where most game are boom in popularity.

Now its back to normal where activities outside are rising. Many people are not confined into their home playing video games anymore.

Right now, most of game activity fell across the industry compared to the big bump in 2020 - 2021.

• bittercranberry
    bittercranberry Member Posts: 454

AoT & Project W can carry for another 2-3 months then what??

we need some changes fast or playerbase will continue to drop, once it its 20-30k daily then you"re in the red zone.

• Tsulan
    Tsulan Member Posts: 15,095

Its summer. People are outside and enjoy going to the beach or pool.

• Seraphor
    Seraphor Member Posts: 9,201

The game keeps losing 10k players every July/August. I wonder why...

• cyniChris
    cyniChris Member Posts: 207

I love when people bring up Steam charts without actually looking at the patterns.

People come for events and new chapter releases, then leave again.

The average player count at the moment is still higher than before the anniversary event.

If you want to point out low numbers, look at April 2022. That was the lowest average and peak player counts since February 2020. What happened around that time? The Ghostface and Legion reworks (coupled with music issues), the Haddonfield update (lots of god windows, up to 4 pallets on "house of pain", and the bug where survivors couldn't be picked up next to fences), MMR changes (basically making newer players face more experienced ones for the sake of faster queues), and - most importantly - when the rubberbanding issues started.

But sure, because a patch that actually makes the game more fair is out, people clutch at straws to show everyone the game is "dying". I guarantee Project W will bring in thousands more players, and if leaks are to be believed (which I won't talk about here), even more will come in later in the year (or early next year). Oh, and don't worry - there'll be big dips a month after Project W and the next DLC as well, so I guess you can trot out the Steam charts again then :')

• fulltonon
    fulltonon Member Posts: 5,762

seems like There is 20500 constant decline across 7 ######### months before may lol

Net positive!

• Brhoom
    Brhoom Member Posts: 241

Any reason but the awful patch 😂

• fulltonon
    fulltonon Member Posts: 5,762

That's simply because anniversary event has been extended for july in most year, and that's not the case this year.

Just check dbd wiki and event date.

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,775

Could be.

The Event also didn't bring gamebreaking bugs this year

• MaTtRoSiTy
    MaTtRoSiTy Member Posts: 1,849

Once the survivors crying get withdrawals they will be back...

This was one of the best patches, if not the best patch ever. Of course players will need to adapt and some adjustments will need to be made but as a survivor main who rarely plays now I was pleasantly surprised.

Even then I was personally very sad to see my beloved Iron Will all but destroyed but oh well, more excuses to use other perks now

• The_C12H15NO2
    The_C12H15NO2 Member Posts: 335

i liked this patch overall. probably the best patch in all the years of dbd. The camping/tunneling increase is honestly b/c it's the best strategy for almost all killers. A majority of maps have so many strong pallets and insanely strong main buildings, it's a waste of killer time to go for chases.

When i que up in solo survivor, OTR and Kindred are a must have. the amount of solo's who don't run kindred amaze me. it tells you everything you need to know to be efficient.

• ByeByeQ
    ByeByeQ Member Posts: 1,104

Ok, let's look at the the patterns then.

For the first 4 years of its life DbD enjoyed consistent growth in its player numbers and every time it peaked more players stayed after those peaks and DbD enjoyed continued success. The game grew an average player base of 10k on launch to 40k over that period on Steam.

Over the last 2 years DbD has stagnated. Despite the biggest DLC drop ever in Resident Evil which brought massive amounts of players to the game, there are less players staying to play DbD than 2 years ago. For a game that is unique, addictive and still without any serious competition, that's disappointing to say the least.

Looking at the the data since July 19th when the mid-chapter dropped DbD has dropped around 10% if not more of its player base. Granted the mid-chapter is not the only thing affecting player numbers, but if the the mid-chapter was an overall positive change to the game then DbD should not be experiencing such a large downward trend.

Speculation: Should another RE chapter drop for the next chapter we will see another spike of thousands of players. I predict that peak won't break 100k and will be firmly in the shadow of the first RE chapter. Why? Because many RE fans already tried DbD and then promptly left over the next few months. Some of those players are just not interested in DbD anymore. After that spike we will continue to see numbers that are stagnant or trend downwards. I'd love to be wrong, but unless the next chapter drop addresses some of the core problems DbD has I doubt I will be.

Perhaps I am just more cynical than you are about it.

• PoodleDoodle
    PoodleDoodle Member Posts: 26
    1. Anniversary event. People coming in got 600% bp so pointing at those numbers doomposting is ######### stupid.
    2. The great grind reduction lie with the removal of bbq/wglf + prestige is an actual turn off. It does not help that BHVR is completely incompetent thet cannot add in an incentive system without it utterly failing. And even if it did work the reward is laughable.

There's large issues of this game and rightly so with this company's inability to create simile effective solutions but you pointing at numbers go up and down on one platform is pointless.

• Alphasoul05
    Alphasoul05 Member Posts: 601
    edited August 2022

17k gained in June (Tons of BP events)

12k loss in July.

13k Gained July 2021

11k loss August 2021. Still a gain. Another Event/BP drop.

If you look throughout history you'll see plenty of gain/loss ratios, that aren't BIG NUMBER, but that's a trend. There's actually only one point in history where it actually double gained 6k/6k and retained those numbers. I suggest you pay more attention to statistics before you try to use them as an example of a bad patch where everyone is leaving. It just makes you look really ignorant and grasping for straws.

• dugman
    dugman Member Posts: 9,713

You obviously cut off the months before August 2021

Notice how both that loss and the June loss were preceded by very large gains. Basically they’re both just examples of regressing to the mean after a big short term boost.

• hailxsatanxeveryxday
    hailxsatanxeveryxday Member Posts: 913

If there's a cash prize at the Worst Analogy of the Year Awards this year, you're going to be a rich man.

It looks like that gain/loss was from the anniversary event. 17,000 people came for the event, and 5,000 stayed.

• Rise432
    Rise432 Member Posts: 162
    edited August 2022

I did say the game wasnt dying and I am aware that its more alive then ever. I only said it was hit by a large loss gain