The reason for DC is really simple

Options
Piruluk
Piruluk Member Posts: 995

DbD has a really big casual playerbase, since the recent changes this part of the playerbase struggling with playing the survivor role.

For a casual, if he doesn't have fun, the solution is to DC. In their mind if the game isn't fun to play, its better to move on next.

This will be a short term problem only, most of them will either switch to play killer or they will turn to cheating to have fun again.

Bigger and longer penalty is undesirable because that could mean playerbase loss in the future.

I expect DC numbers going down, however will have shortage of survivors and those who stay will resort to cheating(already happening both from what I have seen on streams)

Comments

• Kalinikta
    Kalinikta Member Posts: 709
    Options

We are speaking about people that DC and cheat... Are they playing the game?

• Nazzzak
    Nazzzak Member Posts: 4,904
    edited August 2022
    Options

I'd consider myself a casual player, and i don't DC. If I'm not having fun I just shut the game down after a match and find something else to do. I don't take anything that happens to me in a game personally, it's just not that deep

• Jinxed
    Jinxed Member Posts: 248
    Options

Disconnecting and cheating are obviously wrong, but we have to look at the underlying reasons as to why there have been so many disconnects recently.

Honestly, the reason for all the disconnects is probably because the game feels unrewarding and frustrating on the survivor end. It isn't because of the nerf to dead hard or that they can't bully killers.

• Kalinikta
    edited August 2022
    Options

If you DC because the game got more difficult, more frustrating then you are making the case for the argument you oppose. As that means they DC because they cannot win as easily anymore, need to adapt, they feel entitled to an easier time, their ability to flaunt infront of a killer and still win.

The simple answer to the underlying reason people DC is entitlement and unwillingness to adapt. It is just sore losers that want to ruin other people's fun when things don't go their way.

This isn't what casual players are, clumping in them under that tag is unjustified and insulting to those that play the game and finish it whether or not they win or lose, whether the game is more difficult now or not.

• Jinxed
    Jinxed Member Posts: 248
    Options

I disagree with you. The entire experience, especially playing solo feels unrewarding. Now that killers have been buffed it feels like good plays are less rewarded by the game mechanics. It also feels like survivors are getting overly punished for the mistakes of their teammates.

I am not endorsing disconnecting, but I understand why people are doing it.

• Kalinikta
    edited August 2022
    Options

If you don't like playing it then don't. I play solo, as I don't actually know others that play this game. I believe that solo survivor needs help, but it doesn't justify DCing.

I don't understand why people do it, if I play survivor it ruins any chance you as a solo have. Punished for the mistakes of your teammates, I rather have them try and fail, than just give up. People complain that the solo experience is bad and then use that as a justification to make it worse?

If you were actually a casual player, you would just try and play the game.

• VikingDragonXii
    VikingDragonXii Member Posts: 2,885
    Options

Here's the thing.... NOTHING justifies DCing or Suicide on first hook and ruining the game for others. All weekend I tried out SoloQ to see if all the crying and whining was about. I found out yes SoloQ is alot harder but not a unwinnable goal not by a long shot.

The issue I saw was I was the only one doing Gens in most of the games I played, I was able to get 3 gens done on average by myself with Thanta going on, I did not face a single Vommy Mommy and only 3 Legion's (with Thanta), and the biggest issues I saw was no one healed vs any Killer with Thanta and most were running around not trying to do Gens....most were SEEKING the Killer.

Hardly anyone ran Gen Speed up perks to help handle Thanta better.

It's Survivor mentality as a whole causing the major issues. Every game also had at least 1 DC or Hook Suicide.

So in short I don't see any reason to be doing the things that's happening or understand it. If they would just stop being childish and even focus even 50% trying to play the game and not oh it's not fun I'm just going to throw, the games would be much better.

• cburton311
    cburton311 Member Posts: 403
    edited August 2022
    Options

I see it more like knocking your king over in chess. You may not have been checkmated but the other side got their win, no need to play it out. It's respectful for the othersides' time.

If you like to play for the wins, it is predictably a lost game if the first survivor is dead and you are still at 5 gens.

If you like to play for bloodpoints, it is a waste of time if you are the victim of a camping (proxy or no) killer within the first 30 seconds of a match. You could struggle until the entity claims you and you might only get 5k bloodpoints. Better to start a new game and unhook one person, you will get more for your efforts.

I don't like the recent wave of disconnects but it is rational. These people are making choices that are inline with their goals. It's time to stop demonizing them, and try to understand how to realign the game to all of our goals.

And since I hate to be the guy that just complains without a solution, give the camped guy on the hook a significant chunk of bloodpoints for hanging there. It is something small that would encourage the kind of player that we want....someone that will stick the game out. That's a carrot. The stick...make it so a DC or a suicide makes you leave the game, but you MUST spectate the game until it is completed. You are locked to that match until it is done.

• Tsela
    Tsela Member Posts: 524
    Options

Well losing some playerbase from DC penalty would affect only those who DC anyway so what's the difference if they play or not, since they pull the plug annoying their team every time things don't go their way. I'm not sure that losing them would be an actual loss

• fulltonon
    fulltonon Member Posts: 5,762
    Options

Yeah, remove all those who DC/suicide a lot and game will be significantly healthier lol

• ColonGlock
    ColonGlock Member Posts: 1,224
    Options

Killer has 6 hooks and 5 gens are still up? These moments test the fortitude of even the most patient and understanding players.

• Tsela
    edited August 2022
    Options

Sure it would be. I mean what they do after they deliberately DC or suicide? Run fast and line up for a new game. Where they repeat the same thing again and again if somehow things don't go the way they want them to go. While regular players started 2 and played 2 games, these people jumped in 5 or more during that time, screwing with other people unfortunate enough to have them in the party, and dropping it again if they aren't forced to stay on the bench for their repeated behavior. They start more games than people who don't drop it because of their own anger issues, meaning they ruin more games. So I don't see how a DC penalty is a bad thing, or the loss of this part of the playerbase for that matter, if they happen to dislike the DC penalty.

Those of us who don't do that, we don't really see any difference having a DC penalty, it doesn't affect us un any way, maybe it just improves our games, because less often we have to deal with people who drop their games after the first down

• fulltonon
    fulltonon Member Posts: 5,762
    Options
  • Deathstroke
    Deathstroke Member Posts: 3,195
    Options

Well it's very annoying when survivor dc just by getting hit once at 5 gens like at least you could give it a try and your team actually could win.

• Tsela
    Options

well if the killer has 6 hooks and 5 gens are still up, if the players are indeed patient, they should use that patience to practice even more, because that means they need it.

• CluelessWanderer
    CluelessWanderer Member Posts: 939
    Options

Ha I thought I was the only one who read that and went; "Wait... wat?".

There are loads of console players and I don't think it's that easy to just up and play cheats on consoles. OP makes it sound like there's a cheat button anyone can turn on and boom!

• Tsela
    Options

Yeah I also think people are over reacting a bit. There are less cheaters than some people think there are. I mean I long ago I was called a cheater at least 3 times in 5 games for finding them too easilly or something. Sure there are cheaters here and there, but probably less than some claim to be. I even saw a few people claiming that they see cheaters in every match! :)) I honestly didn't see one now for at least 25

• ausanimal
    ausanimal Member Posts: 542
    Options

i didn't say the average survivor wants to bully i just asked what is fun for a survivor and to bully the killer is one of them, i know plenty of survivors that enjoy the chase over everything else

• CluelessWanderer
    CluelessWanderer Member Posts: 939
    edited August 2022
    Options

I've seen a few more lately than usual. I made a thread about a wave of Sadako cheaters (and by wave, I mean I saw 3 over the span of a few days). And they were obvious; flying, one had No Way Out that lasted almost 3 minutes. Stuff like that.

But the vast majority of people aren't going to go; "This patch sucks. Whelp, time to cheat!". lol

• Tsulan
    Tsulan Member Posts: 15,095
    Options

Its ridiculous. I could believe, that the people that don´t have fun take a break, switch sides or go on holiday. But cheating?

• DragonMasterDarren
    DragonMasterDarren Member Posts: 2,762
    Options

I am a casual player at heart, the only times i DC are when i have IRL matters to attend to, or a cheater is holding me hostage

Maybe it's because i have more of a backbone then the casuals you are describing, but i don't leave the match if i'm not having fun, because that would ruin the game for everyone else

Also, advocating for cheating because people aren't having fun is one of the single stupidest statements i have ever read, in what world is cheating because playing the game isn't fun a good mindset to have?

• Roaroftime
    Roaroftime Member Posts: 402
    Options

or balance the game and make it playable in solo q to stop DC's rather than just complaining about them when they're inevitable in the state the games in right now

• Tsela
    Options

Yeah in my opinion also bringing up cheating as a justification for some ingame "balance" is the stupidest thing I have ever heard. Sounds like some clueless ridiculous players try some childish laughable blackmail attempt telling the devs: "Change these or I will cheat if you don't" Usually formulating it in some different way of course to not get in trouble, saying "Change that, because otherwise people are left without options and cheat". Always makes me laugh really

• Kalinikta
    Options

Who made you the captain of the team though? You are in a team, you took out the queen and opened up a line of attack upon the king... You didn't end the game, you screwed over your team. You realize in chess the game would have ended. That didn't happen, all you did is ruin the rest of the match for everyone else ... Because you didn't see a viable move.

A killer DC might be seen in that light, but it isn't true for survivors.

• Marigoria
    Marigoria Member Posts: 6,090
    Options

It's what happens when you have popular streamers spreading this idea and people cant think for themselves and follow these streamers like they're the law or something.

• Gorgonia
    Gorgonia Member Posts: 1,607
    Options

I will never get tired of saying that humans are the most manipulable beings on Earth.

• Tsela
    edited August 2022
    Options

Well quit if you don't enjoy the game. Take a break

• Tsulan
    Tsulan Member Posts: 15,095
    Options

Streamers can have a opinion of the game like everyone else. But since they´re (most likely) human, they can also be wrong.

• PNgamer
    PNgamer Member Posts: 1,415
    Options

There's absolutely no reason for DC'N in a game, because you're only hurting yourself and other players. If someone doesn't like it, let them play something else. Very simple

• Cardgrey
    Cardgrey Member Posts: 1,454
    Options

Nice to know you went door to door and got the info to prove that cause otherwise you only speak for yourself and no one else.