2 hooking every survivor is the WORST strategy

2»

Comments

• Sonzaishinai
    Sonzaishinai Member Posts: 7,976

That is what the problem is.

Tunneling is by far the best strategy cause a 3v1 is a lost cause most of the time.

We need to stop trying to punish tunneling but try to make the strategy overall less effective.

Survivors need a boost when another dies so a 3v1 isn't completely hopeless anymore

• Man_of_triangles
    Man_of_triangles Member Posts: 302

It's taking BHVR forever to make their proposed mori elimination, they're not going to revolutionize the gameplay by letting killers roll back completed generators or anything that drastic.

• SMitchell8
    SMitchell8 Member Posts: 3,302

Ive lost loads of games with 8 hooks (2 hook all) I seem to find hook trading sides often. Tunneling is seriously annoying, but its a fair and effective strategy unless you like be teabagged at the exit gates.

• Slowpeach
    Slowpeach Member Posts: 702

Realistically this is an ethics/fun issue which sure BHVR could do more to address to assure everyone has more fun playing the game but alas.

The difference with survivors ‘tunnelling’ generators is that this doesn’t force the killer out of the game extremely early. The killer still gets to play until all five generators are done and the gates are opened. Tunnelling survivors on the other hand does force someone out prematurely and on top of that their entire experience is a short chase and sitting on a hook. Not fun. Some people care about the enjoyment of others, others do not. Ultimately many will choose their own self enjoyment and selfishly not care about making other people miserable so it’s up to BHVR to change the mechanics to make tunnelling less effective.

Balance has little to do with it and it shouldn’t be approached as a balance problem. Sure creating a solution to it is a balance issue but deal with those problems as it comes. This game is extremely imbalanced anyway so it’s crying over split milk.

• DBDVulture
    DBDVulture Member Posts: 2,437

-Tunneling is by far the best strategy cause a 3v1 is a lost cause most of the time. We need to stop trying to punish tunneling but try to make the strategy overall less effective.

Tunneling out survivors and tunneling out generators both need to be less effective. You should not be able to trade 1 generator for 1 hook if you want the killer to do anything besides tunnel every game.

• yeet
    yeet Member Posts: 1,832

Tunneling is a myth bad survivors created as an excuse for why they die so quickly.

• Tostapane
    Tostapane Member Posts: 1,622

They aren't above my skill level, they are simply carried by the map rng (and their map offering). For Example you can't do literally nothing with a m1 killer like Ghostface if survivors start using infinites like the one in the dredge map or of they have a huge quantity of safe pallets, that if you don't break they can easily chain loops and if break them the match will be finished before you did a couple of hooks... Skill doesn't matter at all in those circumstances, since you can be the strongest player of the game, but the outcome will be the same.

Yes, I don't enjoy playing in that way because it get boring fast and I PERSONALLY found it unfun, but I don't want to throw matches because their flawed system, nor give a free win to people that don't deserve it, especially the toxic ones.

I don't tunnel every match but when you don't do it you'll regret it.

Tunneling is not a crutch since for the same logic behind genrush: both are optimal (and boring) way to play and both side rush their goal in order to have more chances to win...

• Kira4Evr
    Kira4Evr Member Posts: 2,025

Wait, people have strategies? I just go in and hook xd

• Dead_Harder
    Dead_Harder Member Posts: 1,370

Tunneling and camping are 100% optimal way to play the game but saying that just because they are optimal they cant be crutches is incredibly naive.

We both know incredibly terrible killer players that can barely get 1 or 2 downs per game and yet are still carried to a certain mmr by face camping that 1 down and then hopefully getting 1 or 2 more kills with noed.

Is it technically optimal? Sure. Is that guy still incredibly bad at the game and facing survivors way above his skill level and probably feels like face camping and noed are the only way he can even have a chance of playing the game? Also yes.

Same thing for tunneling. Like i get it, in a bigger, survivor sided map, tunnel away. But if you are resorting to tunneling all games every games, maybe a crutch? I dont know you, i cant say <3

• Coffeecrashing
    Coffeecrashing Member Posts: 3,687

Why don’t I ever see survivors saying they feel more accomplished when they play solo q, because being in a voice communication SWF is the easy way out?

• Krazzik
    Krazzik Member Posts: 2,475

Survivors bang out gens and bring strong perks that makes the killer annoyed, killers tunnel/camp and bring strongs perks/addons/killers and make survivors annoyed.

• Krazzik
    Krazzik Member Posts: 2,475

But generally an injured survivor will not run you for as long as a healthy survivor so it still makes sense to go for the already injured one. Plus focusing on one survivor does force pressure. So often I see altruistic survs leaving gens and rushing to bodyblock for the tunneled survivor.

• dugman
    dugman Member Posts: 9,713

Not really. If you think about it having the foresight to know who you should hook and who you should skip or slug is a skill you develop with increased strategic knowledge of the game. Simply chasing down and immediately hooking every survivor you see is actually the mentally simplest plan strategically. It’s only more “skillful” in the sense that you’ll only win that way if you are very good at individual chases. It’s like the difference between “working hard and working smart”, showing you know when to slug or redown someone is showing you actually understand the overall way the game works more than if you just doggedly chase the person in front of you.

• squbax
    squbax Member Posts: 1,444

I play for the 12 kill because in all honestly I wanna show off, I play addonless slinger and no slowdown, if a team loses to me, man they have to be very bad at the game to not beat a meme killer with no advantages.

But yeah going for the 12 hook is handicapping yourself I dont think anyone will disagree on that.

• neb
    neb Member Posts: 790
    edited August 2022

or yknow, you could just not care about what other people do

that works

• Dead_Harder
    Dead_Harder Member Posts: 1,370

Oh cmon slinger isnt a meme killer.

They did him dirty but he is still pretty ok. Specially with stbfl.

• SgtMittens
    SgtMittens Member Posts: 249

I just realized this post is saying you don't understand how attrition affects and opponent and why it's a good thing.

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,775

Meh.

I tunneled pretty much every game prior to this patch. I felt that I needed to, in order to have a shot in a lot of my games on some of my more played Killers.

I no longer feel it is necessary. My chases are very short and it is not a struggle (in most matches) to not hard tunnel someone out.

As a side note, Killer is still very stressful. Less than before, but I suspect it will always be that way. I think I've pushed Nemesis as far as I can and I am no longer able to play him without being stressed out of my mind. I hopped on for a quick match yesterday and I played against the best Survivors on Xbox. I empathize with the feeling that you must tunnel. There are some matches where that is true. However, those matches are few and far between. Tunneling someone out at 5 gens is easy, playing for hooks is harder.

• Pulsar

If your chases are losing you a gen (which takes 90 seconds solo and is the most efficient way to play Survivor) then you are not in the correct skill bracket.

• TheSubstitute
    TheSubstitute Member Posts: 2,436

Tunneling has a short term gain in that it's easier to win. Not tunneling has a long term gain in that your chase skills and ability to apply pressure improves. This doesn't account for the best reason to not tunnel though.

Simply put, trying to 12 hook is more fun than trying to tunnel and video games are meant to be fun. I'll try hard at the gym or work or something where the effort improves my life instead of in a video game.

• Pulsar

On the other hand, a lot of people won't have fun if they don't win. I'm like that.

The only real reason I don't tunnel is because I know how ######### it feels to get taken out of the game 2 minutes in. You feel like garbage because you feel like you didn't play well, you disappoint your teammates and practically confirm a win for the Killer by dying early. I'd rather not do that to give myself an ego boost when I'm perfectly capable of winning without it.

I'm not against tunneling after the game has progressed, I am against it when the game has just started. You'll find that you don't need to tunnel in a lot of those games that you may have thought you did.

• Bardon
    Bardon Member Posts: 1,004

CoH has destroyed the Hit & Run pressure you're talking about.

• Kaitsja
    Kaitsja Member Posts: 1,833
  • Maelstrom808
    Maelstrom808 Member Posts: 685

It comes down entirely to how fast you can locate and down a survivor vs how fast they can recover and put charges on gens. If you can do it fast enough to keep 2-3 survivors at a time occupied with being on hook, unhooking, healing, cleansing, etc., it's better to spread your hooks. If you can't, then tunneling is going to give you more value towards a 3-4k. As you face better survivors, it becomes more difficult as getting downs takes longer, and their time to recover and do gens gets faster.

My best games are the ones where I can hook someone, quickly traverse to the far side of the map and get someone else down as the first hook is still getting back up and healed, letting me bounce back over to the area of the first hook to down another survivor, keeping the cycle going and pressure high enough on the survivors that gens slow to a crawl, even without a ton of regression/slowdown perks.

• Neprašheart
    Neprašheart Member Posts: 439

Tunneling ruins the match to the tunneled survivor; Even if it's effective, I ain't gonna do that, unless the challenge requires certain emblems or something..

I don't care about how many survivors are sacrificed at all; Most players don't seem to share such a mindset, though.