Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

Why does the Legion Trailer advertise a different killer?

Why does the Legion trailer show a completely different killer than the one we have?

Trailer Legion: Can blend in as a survivor, no terror radius, no stain, take mask on and off, deception gameplay

Actual Legion: Has Stain, has Terror radius. Zero deception gameplay. Gameplay is run at them over and over hoping to down one.

Like, wot

Comments

• KiraElijah
    KiraElijah Member Posts: 1,187
    We need these abilities

#TrailerLegionRules
  • thekiller490490
    thekiller490490 Member Posts: 1,164
    False advertising at it's finest
  • HuN7r3sS
    HuN7r3sS Member Posts: 211
    If anyone has seen the Susie concept models she kinda looks like Nea in terms of clothing
  • MojoTheFabulous
    MojoTheFabulous Member Posts: 2,015

I assume the trailer shows the first time they are seen in the Fog or just ties in with their lore.

I don't understand why anyone would want such an absurdly weak power such as a disguise.

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675

@MojoTheFabulous said:
    I assume the trailer shows the first time they are seen in the Fog or just ties in with their lore.

I don't understand why anyone would want such an absurdly weak power such as a disguise.

You think having no TR, no red stain, and still being able to attack is a weak power?

• se05239
    se05239 Member Posts: 3,919

To build hype, and therefore.. revenue.

• Volfawott
    Volfawott Member Posts: 3,893
    Orion said:

@MojoTheFabulous said:

You think having no TR, no red stain, and still being able to attack is a weak power?

While that will work in the sense of jumpscares scratched mirror Myers comes to mind.

The idea of blending into survivors to trick them out is only something that is going to work against solo players, as a swf sqaud can periodically just ping their locations anything that doesn't correspond can assumed to be the Killer.

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675

@Aari_Piggy66 said:
    While that will work in the sense of jumpscares scratched mirror Myers comes to mind.

The idea of blending into survivors to trick them out is only something that is going to work against solo players, as a swf sqaud can periodically just ping their locations anything that doesn't correspond can assumed to be the Killer.

Well, for this to work, the Killer would also need to move faster than Survivors.

• Malakir
    Malakir Member Posts: 799
    Orion said:

@MojoTheFabulous said:

I don't think so. It might happen but they actually have to ask like "dude, are you close to me?" "No" -get hit- 

Swf still people, they don't act like machines and need to confirm their location and just few seconds to make sure of it would still be enough to get a hit

Miscommunications exists too, a shape shifter or survivor like killer almost like pig but more believable would be strong af and also fun for solo and swf if made it right
  • Raptorrotas
    Raptorrotas Member Posts: 3,237

@Aari_Piggy66 said:
    Orion said:

@MojoTheFabulous said:

Offtopic but i think it needs some supernatural element which ghostface or legion dont have to make a "shapeshifter killer" work. The shapeshift ability would need to mess with each survivors hud and perception (like an invisible madness debuff), for example have every survivor look different for every survivor, AND FORCE SURVIVOR INTERACTION somehow, even with cwf interferrence.
    In case of team fortress' spy he partially only works because there nromally are other enemies to be careful about. Shapeshifting killer could probably work better in a 2 killer mode or a special case like chogall in HotS.

Ontopi, I think legions current ability simply isn't trialer material... Stabbing someone is something most killers do.

• White_Owl
    White_Owl Member Posts: 3,786

It's a cinematic trailer, it doesn't have be faithful to the gameplay. If you look at the Doctor's trailer he arrives out of nowhere with no TR.

@Khroalthemadbomber said:
    Legion DLC: Legion, posing as a survivor, flees alongside David. As they both hide, David looks to see of the coast is clear, and when he turns back, Legion displays their true colors and kills David. Potentially showing that Legion can pretend to be a survivor and hide amongst their ranks.

Legion is shown having the ability to move as survivors, running and vaulting. That's what they do.

@Orion said:

@MojoTheFabulous said:

It's the opposite, it would make Myers, the Wraith and the Pig's stealth outdated.

• Boss
    Boss Member Posts: 13,614

Anyone who's gonna buy the DLC with expectations gained only from watching the cinematic trailer aren't people who made a smart purchase.

• Khroalthemadbomber
    Khroalthemadbomber Member Posts: 1,073
    @White_Owl that's fine and I agree Doctor is shown improperly as well as I posted in my description of every killer trailer to date, however he's basically the only one before Legion to have done so. All the other killers, save Hag and Freddy, openly displayed at least one part of their kit, while the two aforementioned merely attack the camera.

It's something  BHVR has done since the beginning so it's safe to believe that those going in blind or those taking interest in the game that are new, having heard the prospects of dedicated servers, would see the trailer and believe that Legion can hide amongst the survivor ranks.
  • Freudentrauma
    Freudentrauma Member Posts: 1,053

@Boss said:
    Anyone who's gonna buy the DLC with expectations gained only from watching the cinematic trailer aren't people who made a smart purchase.

Yeah, but the trailer was shown at the game awards, meant to make an impression on potential new players. I can remember watching the easy allies reaction and while they were impressed about the first commercial trailer with all the dlcs, the second one was called underwhelming. And on another one people assumed that killer can blend in as survivor.

• Delfador
    Delfador Member Posts: 2,552

@White_Owl said:
    It's a cinematic trailer, it doesn't have be faithful to the gameplay. If you look at the Doctor's trailer he arrives out of nowhere with no TR.

Legion DLC: Legion, posing as a survivor, flees alongside David. As they both hide, David looks to see of the coast is clear, and when he turns back, Legion displays their true colors and kills David. Potentially showing that Legion can pretend to be a survivor and hide amongst their ranks.

Legion is shown having the ability to move as survivors, running and vaulting. That's what they do.

@Orion said:

@MojoTheFabulous said:

It's the opposite, it would make Myers, the Wraith and the Pig's stealth outdated.

Actually, doctor has the ability to reduce his Terror radius to 0 with proper addons and perks. The perk he uses is also his own perk.

All of the killers you mentioned has other abilities. Myers can one shot down people, wraith has ms increase as well as 150% sprint burst, pig has ambush and her RBTs. You might argue that this killer would be superior to them but this is no surprise. After all, nurse is superior to all of the killers. Even if you compare killers in their own categories, we have billy and leatherface. Also Myers is much stronger than the Pig anyway.

You can't deny that it was a little bit false advertisement on their part. They could actually do better with his own power anyway. Stabbing multiple people, sensing them, and downing them because of deep wounds is more exciting to watch even if it is not fun to play. I have no idea why they think that this way was a good way to show their killer.

• Tsulan
    Tsulan Member Posts: 15,095
    It's false advertising.
    Not marketing. 
    Not a mistake.
    Not a misunderstanding.
    Just false advertising. 

You know, like what happened with Bethesda. Where they announced a quality bag and delivered a cheap plastic bag.

Only difference is, we as sheep swallow everything...
  • AshleyWB
    AshleyWB Member Posts: 4,061
    Ultra rare Add on -  Personal depiction - Have the option to take the visual appearance of any survivor you down.
    After hooking a total of 3 collective times you gain no red stain.

Your terror radius is slightly subdued but line of sight terror radius is more intense.
  • White_Owl
    White_Owl Member Posts: 3,786
    edited December 2018

@White_Owl that's fine and I agree Doctor is shown improperly as well as I posted in my description of every killer trailer to date, however he's basically the only one before Legion to have done so. All the other killers, save Hag and Freddy, openly displayed at least one part of their kit, while the two aforementioned merely attack the camera.

As I already said, the Legion is showed fast vaulting, which is their main thing.

@Delfador said:
    Actually, doctor has the ability to reduce his Terror radius to 0 with proper addons and perks. The perk he uses is also his own perk.

12 meters actually. If we talk about perks, Legion in the trailer could have been using Tinkerer for what we know.

@Delfador said:
    All of the killers you mentioned has other abilities. Myers can one shot down people, wraith has ms increase as well as 150% sprint burst, pig has ambush and her RBTs. You might argue that this killer would be superior to them but this is no surprise. After all, nurse is superior to all of the killers. Even if you compare killers in their own categories, we have billy and leatherface. Also Myers is much stronger than the Pig anyway.

I was talking only about the stealth aspect. Myers is slow in tier 1, the Wraith has only a slight increased speed at base and the sprint is barely a compensation for the fact he has to slowly uncloak, the Pig is slow while crouched and has a reduced fov, and the dash is telegraphed. Legion would basically be a Pig on steroids, with a much faster stealth and an ability to slow down survivors, not counting the ability to deny pallets and loops in general.
    Don't forget that with M&A Legion can have a tr of 16 meters. For a small and fast killer that's more than enough to catch survivors off guard without some disguise ability.

• dannyfrog87
    dannyfrog87 Member Posts: 568

@PapaAndrei said:
    Why does the Legion trailer show a completely different killer than the one we have?

Trailer Legion: Can blend in as a survivor, no terror radius, no stain, take mask on and off, deception gameplay

Actual Legion: Has Stain, has Terror radius. Zero deception gameplay. Gameplay is run at them over and over hoping to down one.

Like, wot

because otherwise no one would buy the piece of ######### in its current state. and the devs and pr team are pulling some shady ######### thats why. its lucky for us who play the game and know the state its in are aware. but to those who are not. its dodgy sales tactics a misleading trailer of a character that is nothing like in game. shame on you devs. but we know you dont care or you wouldnt be doing it the way you do

• Fenrir
    Fenrir Member Posts: 533
    Its false advertising
  • Khroalthemadbomber
    Khroalthemadbomber Member Posts: 1,073
    @White_Owl ....yes... while posing as a survivor...
  • TheOwl
    TheOwl Member Posts: 185

While I don't think the developers intend to mislead people about the killer's power with the Legion's trailer, it does seem to be doing just that. Below is an excerpt from an article written on Rely On Horror, a horror gaming website:

"The trailer showcases two survivors fleeing towards a cabin (likely a key location in the map) from an unknown attacker. Upon reaching cover, it is revealed that one of the survivors transforms into the new killer. Thus we meet The Legion, a killer whose central gimmick is the ability to disguise itself as one of the survivors."

If one site can make this kind of mistake by watching the trailer, then others surely will too, and then people will be buying a killer whose power will be not what they thought.

• ad19970
    ad19970 Member Posts: 6,356

@Malakir said:
    Aari_Piggy66 said:

Orion said:

@MojoTheFabulous said:

I don't think so. It might happen but they actually have to ask like "dude, are you close to me?" "No" -get hit- 

Swf still people, they don't act like machines and need to confirm their location and just few seconds to make sure of it would still be enough to get a hit

Miscommunications exists too, a shape shifter or survivor like killer almost like pig but more believable would be strong af and also fun for solo and swf if made it right

I mean sure even against swf survivors a power like that could work occasionally. But it's impossible to deny what advantages swf survivors would have over solo survivors when versing this killer. And that's the last thing this game needs. This game can only be balanced properly once the gap between solo and swf survivors has been closed considerably.

• Dehitay
    Dehitay Member Posts: 1,725

@ad19970 said:
    This game can only be balanced properly once the gap between solo and swf survivors has been closed considerably.

100% true, and sadly, probly never going to happen.

• ReneAensland
    ReneAensland Member Posts: 838

@TheOwl said:
    While I don't think the developers intend to mislead people about the killer's power with the Legion's trailer, it does seem to be doing just that. Below is an excerpt from an article written on Rely On Horror, a horror gaming website:

"The trailer showcases two survivors fleeing towards a cabin (likely a key location in the map) from an unknown attacker. Upon reaching cover, it is revealed that one of the survivors transforms into the new killer. Thus we meet The Legion, a killer whose central gimmick is the ability to disguise itself as one of the survivors."

If one site can make this kind of mistake by watching the trailer, then others surely will too, and then people will be buying a killer whose power will be not what they thought.

Oof.