Why are people angry about the reassurance change?

Options
2»

Comments

• Tsela
    Tsela Member Posts: 524
    Options

well I'm using the live game as a reference point. PTB is for experimenting.

• Arkmenhah
    Arkmenhah Member Posts: 68
    Options

Probably because survivors thrived in the possibility of being hooked and having other survivors never unhooking them, instead just using Reassurance over and over again, essentially holding a player hostage in a situation they cannot even move, and dying is not an option under any circumstance. The change still does exatcly the same thing, without allowing griefing scenarios to happen. And let's be honest, how oblivious must someone be to not notice that the hook death timer of another player stopped? Because if the answer is anything close to confirming the obliviousness regarding information that the game HUD already gives, then no matter how strong a perk becomes, SoloQ will still be hell, and SwF will become more and more unbalanced.

• Carth
    Carth Member Posts: 1,178
    edited August 2022
    Options

Because In some survivor mains eyes if it's not a single perk that can completely change the flow of the game by themselves with no comms or provide a free second chance in chase ala old DH,old ds, unbreakable, CoH then it's a dumpster tier perk that's awful.

Edit: a super fun thing to point out is some of the people calling 30 seconds 'measly', or 'nothing'. Are the same people who claimed that a .2 and .3 second reduction to pallet breaking and survivor sprint from 6.1.0 were massive and huge buffs to killers.

• Lynxx
    Lynxx Member Posts: 510
    Options

Here's another fun thing - that's an outright lie. I never once commented on pallet breaks or sprint changes.

Another fun thing - my "measly" comment is in comparison to how long it would take me to drop the gen I'm working on, get to a hook, get in a position close enough to use said perk, then make my merry way back to any gen to work resume work. For SoloQ I could be wasting a good minute just using a perk that puts a 30 seconds on a guy's hook timer. That is measly in comparison to the time I had to waste. No Thanks - may as well just dive in and try to save if I'm investing that time already.

• Carth
    Carth Member Posts: 1,178
    Options

I never named any names, nor was I addressing that comment to you. Multiple people have used that verbiage and words that mean the exact same thing since the article dropped to describe the 30 second once per survivor per hook instance timer.

The exact same scenario you described occurred with old reassurance as well, unless you continued to hang around the hook to make use of the 10 second cd window to chain multiple reassurances then you were 'wasting time' in the exact same way. If you assume the worst case scenario of you being cross map on a large map and making your way to the hook to pop reassurance and then walk back to the gen cross map, you were wasting the exact same amount of time and you were not going to be able to chain the same reassurance over and over again unless you were hanging out by the hook. And in that scenario I would argue you should be punished, you are making a bad play as a survivor resource, You are probably the furthest survivor away from the one on hook in the scenario you described, why are you the one making the reassurance play vs another teammate?

And yes, I know that you will counter this by saying but in solo queue and I'm sorry but I would argue we can't balance around that. If we are balancing assuming your teammates are awful/garbage, survivor perks would need to have their effects multiplied by 4 at least and gen times would need to be 45 seconds base as there's no guarantee you won't get 3 afk people. You can't balance around 'what if my teammates are bad/doing challenges/want to meme' because as soon as you get 4 people who are serious about winning and playing for real the killer will be squished with absolutely 0 chance of doing anything.

Action icons and seeing perks in the lobby + coms or chat or a ping wheel or something would help alleviate this problem a lot, but even with all of those tools, solo queue has no guarantees that your teammates goal will be the same as yours. I'm genuinely curious, what do you think a fair value for reassurance would be? Or do you think just reverting it to have the low cooldown + chain potential is fine?

• Lynxx
    edited August 2022
    Options

I've liked the idea just affecting yourself once per hook instance for 30 seconds (or even just once but that might be weak) is ideal for a perk slot. If the killer isn't a camper then even a whole team of people taking it would not matter.

• Hoodied
    Hoodied Member Posts: 13,002
    Options

It could hold the game hostage if 3 survivors and 1 killer chose to hold the game hostage, in which if they wanted to fix that issue they could have just kept attempting and skillchecks in struggle to allow you to end it if this was to ever happen

• Lynxx
    Options

This for the "griefing" part. I don't understand why they did stop attempts and skill checks during Reassurance, That part on the dev's didn't make sense to me.

Besides there was a way to keep someone hostage for the entirety of their hook states by a survivor repeatedly attempting unhook then canceling preventing any attempts or skill checks, yet devs did nothing about that.

• Firellius
    Firellius Member Posts: 4,124
    edited August 2022
    Options

Because In some survivor mains eyes if it's not a single perk that can completely change the flow of the game by themselves with no comms or provide a free second chance in chase ala old DH,old ds, unbreakable, CoH then it's a dumpster tier perk that's awful.

Both Reassurance and DS require killer compliance in order to work. These perks are not going to work in any game where the killer doesn't let it. It's not a big ask to get the perks to actually be impactful when its one and only use case comes into play.

Look at it from the other side: Yes, the killer did just double back to hook after you got unhooked and chased you down within 60 seconds of you getting unhooked and then decided to pick you up once you went down, BUT the killer STILL shouldn't be punished for refusing to use literally ANY of the perk's counters.

Yes, the killer did just decide to stick by the hook and refuse to interact with any other survivors, despite being aware that they're playing into a perk specifically designed to counter this playstyle, but should the killer really be punished for making such a gargantuan tactical blunder? Nah, let's just nerf the survivors again.

Edit: a super fun thing to point out is some of the people calling 30 seconds 'measly', or 'nothing'. Are the same people who claimed that a .2 and .3 second reduction to pallet breaking and survivor sprint from 6.1.0 were massive and huge buffs to killers.

Golly gee, maybe getting 5 or 6 compounding buffs, basekit, to scenarios that are 100% applicable in literally every game you play without any extra investment isn't really comparable to a perk that requires extra investment specifically to counter one scenario.

The exact same scenario you described occurred with old reassurance as well

Yes, it does. But in that case, you're not wasting 90% of the perk's value, since the perk has literally, what, 10 times as much value? Before the nerf, if you mess up and all wind up at the hook, you can then adjust and start working together to get them lined up and thus get value out of the perk, -because you have time to do so-. Now that one slip-up makes a perk that has ONE use case and is really difficult to pull off properly almost entirely useless, since it can only be used once.

You can't balance around 'what if my teammates are bad/doing challenges/want to meme' 

But apparently we can nerf survivors around 'What if the killer wants to grief?'.

Or do you think just reverting it to have the low cooldown + chain potential is fine?

Literally yes. Because it requires spectacular misplays from the killer to actually be a hindrance. As has been mentioned dozens of times: Just give survivors a way to opt out for that once-in-a-lifetime scenario where the other three survivors and the killer are dead set on griefing one poor soul and you're done.

• Blackboar22
    Blackboar22 Member Posts: 19
    Options

Here is how u should use it, get to the hooked survivor, if the killer is facecamping or proxying very well then use it, and wait until he either leaves because of it or makes a mistake, then u can unhook

• TheLastHook
    TheLastHook Member Posts: 495
    edited August 2022
    Options

Imagine being the Killer and having to do the same to chase, hook, kick generators.

Or worse, The Trapper having to go to pick up traps from the ground around the map for Survivors to disable them without issues.

Play The Trapper and then come and talk about one minute anything Survivor.

• HugTheHag
    HugTheHag Member Posts: 3,140
    Options

I do play killer. I play Hag. So trust me, multitasking and placing traps for the long game is not something I'm a stranger to, nor am I to long chases with a slow killer.

And yeah, I can talk about one minute Reassurance. Because I don't camp. Reassurance is a perk slot wasted against me. People get unhooked. Reassurance is only useful against camping killers, so I'm frankly not too concerned for it from a killer perspective.

• Sumnox
    Sumnox Member Posts: 605
    Options

Because unless you're in a SWF group with voice coms, the perk is trash and useless. And I'm sick of killers and SWF having most of the cake and the developers cater to them every.single.patch.

Make solo Q worthy perks, for ######### sake

• danielmaster87
    danielmaster87 Member Posts: 8,602
    Options

I don't know, man. They didn't want it to be strong because then it would be "abusable", but now they don't want it to be "weak". They flip-flopped.

• TheLastHook
    edited August 2022
    Options

And of course, you lose often because you did not camp.

You love to be a 🤡 for Survivors, loop them and eat pallets one after another, that's cool.

I personally find camping interesting, I do it as I see fit and it always works.

So in the same way people have to bring Lightborn locking a perk slot, Survivors may as well do the same. One out of 16 perks is not much.

• deckyr
    deckyr Member Posts: 752
    edited August 2022
    Options

i've been getting a lot of reassurance value in situations where the killer isn't even camping.

mostly, it's "when i get spotted going for an unhook". i quickly run past, give my teammate a thumbs up, and keep running past them to a tile. while i'm off in chase somewhere else, my teammates are dimly aware that it's been a long time since that person got hooked, and one of them finally goes to get them off hook.

occasionally, it's "you just got hooked by a gen that's nearly finished". again, give em the ol razzle dazzle, then finish the gen without giving the killer any alerts and then grab the unhook afterwards. the killer's using the survivor to know when that gen is going to get pressed again, and i'm circumventing their alarm clock by hitting snooze.

people who are looking at reassurance and seeing "waste bubba's time" are seeing a very small piece of the whole picture that this perk affords.

p.s. i use it in solo queue. rip to yall but i'm just built different i suppose.

• HugTheHag
    HugTheHag Member Posts: 3,140
    Options

I actually have more draws and wins than flat out losses, thank you very much.

Camp if you want. It's not like I care for your behaviour anyway, I'm not your parent.

• TheLastHook
    edited August 2022
    Options

Yeah everyone does. Also, you have a friend who is a Nurse main and your Survivors are all red rank doing gens only and not rituals.

My suggestion is that you get better at camping, in the long run that's all you will have.

• AmpersandUnderscore
    AmpersandUnderscore Member Posts: 1,359
    Options

I'll ask you, since I have yet to have a single response to this question:

Do you have evidence of reassurance being used to keep people hostage on the PTB? A clip, vod, video, anything?

I get that, in theory, two or more survivors could team up with a killer to keep one survivor on hook indefinitely, but no one seems to have any evidence that this actually occurred. The perk was nerfed entirely because of outcry, and, as far as I can tell, no one has actually experienced the griefing scenario.

But hey, face camping is still strong as ever. Look at that.

• Kirahie
    Kirahie Member Posts: 354
    Options

SWF effectively have a map wide aura reading perk on the killer, and a constant communication perk that the game was never balanced around. It's a combination of multiple very powerful survivor perks

• GoodBoyKaru
    GoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 22,652
    Options

And solos sgousont be forced into using those peeks what's your point