If you were affected by the Grade Reset Bloodpoints not being awarded properly, you will receive any missing Bloodpoints shortly. You may need to restart your game for the rewards to appear. Thank you for your patience!

Artists of DbD... I have a question.

Options
Iron_Cutlass
Iron_Cutlass Member Posts: 2,800

Question:

Well, this is just a question any artist can answer, not just DbD artists, but since I guess this is on the forums only DbD artists will see it anyways, which is, how do you gain more confidence in your art?

Context (For Anyone Needing It):

Ive been making art for years but it feels like every time I make something, that it could be better, so I scrap the whole thing and start over and over and over, and I never really find myself happy with the art I create. Everything feels so off, like Im missing something, yet Im missing nothing. Like I enjoy the process, I just constantly hate the results, hate what my hands produce, or myself.

I also just really fear that people will hate the art that I make, that something with the style might not appeal to them, that thing I produced is never good enough. I take commissions, but the entire time I feel stress and upset and even if the person who commissions me says that it's good, I feel as if it's anything but.

This could be because Im an anxious person, Ive always been afraid to talk to people because of me normally stumbling across a lot of people who just turn out to be bad, but I was wondering how other artists might deal with this.

I tried reaching out to other platforms in regards to this, but I never really get a response or anything. I know this is a bit venty, but it's something I really need insight on.

Comments

• C3Tooth
    C3Tooth Member Posts: 7,956
    Options

I had a huge artblock in Sep 2021 because I likes how other draws different things (eyes from artist A; coloring from artist B...) and I kept comparing my own arts to them that I couldnt draw eyes like artist A, or coloring from artist B; while ignore the fact that my color is better than artist A and so on. I learned to accept my own style and learned that each has their unique style. I should not compare myself to others.

Even if I like how artist A draw eyes, I should never try to mimic their eyes' style, because even if I success mimic-ing, everytime people seeing my arts, they will reminds the audience about artist A, this should never happens. What I should do is to take note the method they draw eyes, not their result. This goes the same to everything else.

For starter, one should only care for themselves, you draw for yourself first, not for others, you can only improve if you like what to draw and keep drawing. People doesnt look down on you if you're not good enough, they just dont care (if you're not good enough), they only recognize you if you do.

Depends on how fast you improve, it may takes a while for people to recognize you. For me, it was almost a year for that to happens. Feb 2021 to Jan 2022 (one year) I had 300 followers, from Jan 2022 to currently (eight months) I have 3300 followers, got tons of commissions. Good news, commissions improves your skill since you have to draw alot -> more followers -> more comms -> skill improved...