The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Be Honest: Why Do You Play DBD Like That?

AshInTheTallGrass
AshInTheTallGrass Member Posts: 1,670
edited September 2022 in Polls

EDIT: To be authentic, this poll was supposed to be anonymous, but I accidentally submitted it before marking it as anonymous and fixing typos.

There are a lot of different people playing. I'm curious as to why people play the way they do.

Be Honest: Why Do You Play DBD Like That? 57 votes

When I do things that are "toxic," I genuinely like it. It makes me feel happy. I can take out all of my ######### here. Get rekt.
3%
scenicpickleduygu 2 votes
I try to be helpful and fair because that's the way I think life, and even games, should go. Sportsmanship is genuinely important. We
24%
FlopiyutiopMrPenguinGeneralVMrsGhostfaceAshInTheTallGrassNormal1PatatesdarkcloudlinkItzZane_HalloulleKotelettphantomHugTheHagTooksGlitchyGamerNicKayless 14 votes
My goal is to win. I don't really give a #########--especially about random players. If winning means I leave you instead of unhooking or I tunnel you out, I don't care. It's nothing personal.
14%
SkeletalEliteAvilgusMalkhrimAnother_LegionMainViktor1853FrostyEyesSusiexni6_OrangeBear 8 votes
When I do "toxic" things it's because I'm angry/hurt/stressed about ######### in my own life. Sometimes I feel bad afterward.
3%
FilthyLegionMainNoOneKnowsNova 2 votes
If you do anything to piss me off--######### you. I will ######### with you because I think that's righting a wrong. Eye for an eye.
5%
deKlaw_04Slingshot47buffcoyote 3 votes
I'm just here to play a game. I don't get too caught up in it. It's not that deep. I don't go too far with altruism or toxicity. People care too much and should just chill.
17%
SomeGuy7000tenoresaxFobboDhurl421GuiltiiWesCravenFanEckoBrightWolfCBT137LooeDbD 10 votes
I've been more than one of these options, to be honest.
3%
AnneBonnyByeByeQ 2 votes
My motive is to have fun. If someone is toxic, I'll either laugh it off or be toxic back--whichever is more fun in the moment.
22%
AdelooFeryGENPega6PotMode220vrunkNuss_BluggetTheNTT777ChikyrvzrvzrvzWowierenvolttliffBOSpectre 13 votes
Other
5%
DonleovhastarkisK139K05 3 votes
Post edited by AshInTheTallGrass on

Comments

• My goal is to win. I don't really give a #########--especially about random players. If winning means I leave you instead of unhooking or I tunnel you out, I don't care. It's nothing personal.

But I also like to have fun, so I'll mess around a bit and give survivors 2nd chances because they went down in the first chase in a few seconds only for them to try to be farmed by their team mates

• NoOneKnowsNova
    NoOneKnowsNova Member Posts: 2,785
    edited September 2022
    When I do "toxic" things it's because I'm angry/hurt/stressed about ######### in my own life. Sometimes I feel bad afterward.

I'm only "toxic" when I'm feeling bad and even then I try not to. Unless the person was being toxic to me, I almost always feel worse after.

Post edited by BoxGhost on
  • Tooks
    Tooks Member Posts: 11
    I try to be helpful and fair because that's the way I think life, and even games, should go. Sportsmanship is genuinely important. We

I try to play as fairly as possible, but I find that I often either destroy the Survivors when I play as Killer. If that's not the case, I have to sweat hard for the win, or else I'll get destroyed (and t-bagged at the exit gate) myself.

When I play as Survivor, I just get demolished pretty much every game. I'm not a great looper, so I have to try and be sneaky, but usually I just get dunked on by the killer. The only time that doesn't happen is if they installed yesterday. I never t-bag the killer, and I try to leave through the gate immediately, unless I think a teammate needs me. Still, in a game yesterday, the Ghost Face shook his head at me when he downed me quickly, and then "accidentally" camped me to second state (on RPD, btw), and then essentially focused me out of the game. I got 2.5k and lost my last Ranger medkit on my main for my trouble.

In the post-game the Killer apologized saying it wasn't intentional, but that's kinda BS. We all know that the most efficient thing you can do in this game as a Killer is remove someone early. This guy could have not sat in stealth in the one path to my hook, and/or could easily have gone looking for someone else when he found me about a minute off the hook.

If you are someone who says they want to play fair, and show sportsmanship, then do it. If you remove someone early, don't try and hide behind false kindness in the post-game. Just own being competitive.

• AshInTheTallGrass

Totally agree with your last paragraph. Own your actions and choices. If you don't like them, grow from them, but don't manipulate/distort them to fit a fantasy.

I once had a Killer message me to "apologize" for how OP his build was. "Omg, I'm so sorry. I had no idea my build would be this OP ☹️."

• FilthyLegionMain
    FilthyLegionMain Member Posts: 1,148

I always apologize unless someone's going to try and do some rude crap in end game chat.

• OrangeBear
    OrangeBear Member Posts: 2,605
    My goal is to win. I don't really give a #########--especially about random players. If winning means I leave you instead of unhooking or I tunnel you out, I don't care. It's nothing personal.

I play to win because playing for fun will just leave you vulnerable for people to bully you and call you bad. So everyone dies. This is why we can't have nice things you know.

• AshInTheTallGrass

If other people are rude, that's on them. If you wanted to be a sportsman or apologize, then that's who you are as a person (and I think that's a good thing about you). You be who you are, regardless of their behavior.

• AshInTheTallGrass

Hmmm

I don't think you should dictate your behavior based on other people's bad behavior. If you do, it means that person is "in charge" and I don't think people see that. If we negatively change our behavior because of others, then that means those people are dictating us. They're dictating that we have to match their behavior, reflect their bad behavior. I just don't see it that way. They act badly? That's their issue to work on--or not. But you don't have to follow suit.

• WesCravenFan
    WesCravenFan Member Posts: 2,638
    I'm just here to play a game. I don't get too caught up in it. It's not that deep. I don't go too far with altruism or toxicity. People care too much and should just chill.

I just don't go around telling people how to play.

• OrangeBear
    OrangeBear Member Posts: 2,605

It's not really bad behaviour though. It's typical, expected behaviour. Majority rules and all that.

Plus this game is fun when it's challenging. When the killer is being silly it isn't really that fun. So im fine with playing to win every game.

• Tooks
    Tooks Member Posts: 11

I'd argue bullying and other toxic behaviours should not be typical or expected. Treating them as if they are only validates that behaviour. That's saying it's okay to be an ass behind a mask of anonymity.

There's also a huge difference between playing to win, and being mean. If someone beats me soundly, I'm going to be a little sore, but that's not bad behaviour. Beating someone and then t-bagging at the gate, or hitting them on hook, etc. is not good sportsmanship, and it's not good behaviour.

• duygu
    duygu Member Posts: 333
    When I do things that are "toxic," I genuinely like it. It makes me feel happy. I can take out all of my ######### here. Get rekt.

the option summarizes my thoughts, i dont care what any large gaming community thinks.

• FeryGEN
    FeryGEN Member Posts: 628
    My motive is to have fun. If someone is toxic, I'll either laugh it off or be toxic back--whichever is more fun in the moment.

Too much has been written, I did not understand who the styles of the game are addressed to, probably the killers. And I hope I chose the right answer. I can toxic in response, but I often restrain myself, I believe that if you toxic less, then it hurts the vanity of toxic people and they even pour if they have not achieved their goal.

• BrightWolf
    BrightWolf Member Posts: 429

(Clicked the wrong option, meant to click "I try to be helpful")

I'm still pretty new to the game, so I'm trying to figure out a playstyle that works for me both as killer and survivor. I do think people who t-bag killers at the exit gate, especially if it's obvious they're new to the game and are toxic in the endgame chat are disgusting little toe-rags that need to get a life. Like seriously telling an obviously new player to uninstall or ######### is just distasteful and you should be ashamed of yourself.

But mostly I do try to just have fun and ignore the obvious turds, kind of hard when it seems like the game wants you to play against sweats and SWFs. (No hate towards SWFs, it's how I got into the game in the first place.)

• Donleov
    Donleov Member Posts: 117
    Other

I like to play right, unfurtunately dbd is balance around some unfun mechanics, I try to play as fair as possible but some part of it depends on the survivors don't giving me the chance to for example slug. If you give me the oportunity and it's very good for me, sorry, but you mess it up.