Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

Are survivors a team?

2»

Comments

• Thusly_Boned
    Thusly_Boned Member Posts: 2,886

Survivors aren't a team, but they aren't independent, either. You don't get a win for being the last surv alive, and without your team, you're almost as good as dead unless in endgame.

So much like the real world, you don't have to be tight with the people you are working with, but there is usually a fair bit of interdependency. The best predictor of you escaping is how well your team is doing.

When it works, absolutely. I have often said that if you find yourself in a bag of potatoes, you're almost certainly also a potato.

But lately, I don't think MMR has been working as intended, to say the least.

• HoodedWildKard
    HoodedWildKard Member Posts: 2,013

Depends how far through the match you are. At the start it's a team game, got 5 gens to fix and it's only possible as a team. If someone is sacrificed before 50% gens are done then it tends to turn into a free for all where people hide and try to play for hatch. Me i prefer to help my team mates if possible. Endgame unhooks and saves are some of the most satisfying plays I've made.

• MDRSan
    MDRSan Member Posts: 298

In some respects yes, in others it depends on everyone’s mindset, and again in others you’re pretty much a pack of lone wolves.

Getting the exit gates open - teamwork helps.

Getting graded and rewarded for how you performed in the trial - team? What team?

The arguably easiest and most boring way to escape a trial is to wait for or get your team killed while you hide and sneak out through the hatch.

Self sacrifice is nice from a human perspective, but the game usually provides only negative repercussions for doing so

Its like that common zombie apocalypse trope where everyone splits off into their tribes and only look out for themselves. Being anything worse than at least neutral to each other makes zero sense but here they are - fighting each other while the zombies stand back and wonder if they want to risk wandering in and being sucked into the drama.

• Hex_Llama
    Hex_Llama Member Posts: 1,818

It doesn't feel like it's designed to be a team game but, in my experience, that's how most people play. Maybe it's just my region, but I only ever play solo q when I'm survivor and I'd say 19/20 matches, we all stick together and keep playing as a team until it's over. When I play killer, almost all of the teams I go against do the same thing.

I'm actually surprised to hear so many people say otherwise.

• Predated
    Predated Member Posts: 2,976

Yeah, but here's the problem with the end of your statement: Survivors arent exactly a team. Their ratings are individual. So if the killer is in a winning position, you should play for your individual escape and get out while you can. The killer still wins, you just dont get screwed over by your teammates.

• I_am_Negan
    I_am_Negan Member Posts: 3,756

If you're playing with friends it's a team game.

If you're solo no it's not a team game.

• Doobee72
    Doobee72 Member Posts: 8

DBD is a team player game, because there are things that you cannot do yourself, if you don't certain perks or items, you do need other players to help you. For one you cannot unhook yourself without the help of other players or heal yourself if you don't have a medkit. The objective is to escape as a team. If you play just for yourself 9 times out of 10 you will die. You have to work together playing this game.

• Doobee72

You don't have to know anyone else playing with you, it's still a team effort. I have played with other players and they hide in the closet for most of the match, some only do generators. But when we work as a team we all make it out.

• Doobee72

Survivors don't win individually, they earn blood points individually, based off what they did during the trial. You win as a team when you all make it out. It's a team game. No Matter what.

• Doobee72

I know when I play, I try and help with everything generators, unhooking survivors, healing survivors. Even if I take a hit I will try and help you. That is a teammate. And for those that don't know you die if you don't work together.

• I_am_Negan
    I_am_Negan Member Posts: 3,756

Yes in away the survivors have to work together, but no they don't have to escape together that's the choice of the player if they want to leave the team behind and escape or say and risk death.

• Nihlus
    Nihlus Member Posts: 301

A hatch escape is not a win for the survivor and it certainly is not a loss for the killer. They are considered a draw. The survivor avoids losing, but the killer still ranks upwards due to three kills and no escapes.

If you remove the hatch, be prepared to hunt the map all night for the survivor in a corner picking up and dropping his flashlight until you DC, because there's no hope then. Might as well just end the game when the second to last person goes down then with the new finisher mori. If you don't give that one on one scenario some kind of out, the survivor will just hide.

I can tell you that once the hatch closes, I'll go check the basement for a key and then just wait for EGC to kill me. You do not deserve that 4th kill automatically because I got three potatoes for teammates.

• Zeidoktor
    Zeidoktor Member Posts: 2,064

I think it's a case of "yes and no".

You are not a team in the sense that every survivor is ultimately seeking their own escape. You are a team in the sense that one of the ways to achieve that escape is by being a team player.

As Dwight himself says in the Bond flavor text "I need you to survive so that I can survive!"

• Ryuhi
    Ryuhi Member Posts: 3,733

You are a team because you have a shared goal that is not mutually exclusive. One person escaping through the gate does not mean another cannot, so you are all working together toward common goals. The only time this does not apply is regarding the hatch. Its the only objective in the game that remotely justifies the 1v1v1v1v1 nonsense (even if only 1v1v1) due to the 3rd needing to die for the 4th to get a chance at hatch. Any other time in the match that anyone tries to use that "we're not actually teammates" argument they are literally just trying to justify sandbagging, and even with regards to the hatch its only due to bad design.

I really wish the devs understood this better because when they make comments like that, all it does is let bad players justify screwing their teams over, because they don't consider them a team.

• RaSavage42
    RaSavage42 Member Posts: 5,546

If BHVR wants to give this "teamwork" a try then make Survival Emblem more forgiving... Like repairing Gens lead to Survival... Saving other from a Hook leads to Survival, Healing teammates leads to Survival

Instead of putting 5,000 BP on to escaping (and whatever it is for hatch) they could put more during the game but give escaping an additional Emblem gained (for after match)

But that would lead to BHVR doing more changes to the Emblem system... and do we want that or have them focus their attention on the hidden MMR system

• MrsGhostface
    MrsGhostface Member Posts: 987

The simple answer is no