Solo Q Players - Might I trouble you for an unhook

Options

In solo q, we’re a team so far as we’re all working toward a similar objective. Similar, not the same. I would like everyone to escape, and play to help my fellow survivors get out with me. My primary goal however, is to escape myself. There is no ‘b’, ‘l’, ‘o’,’o’, ‘d’, ‘p’, ‘o’, ‘i’, ‘n’, ‘t’, or ‘s’ in ‘team’.

So for the love of the entity, stop letting me get well into to 2nd stage on my 1st hook early in the game. If, however, you do choose to do so realize my secondary objective switches from ‘help teammates escape’ to ‘avoid helping teammates even at my own detriment because I’m just that spiteful’.

I brought circle of healing and you’re literally shoving a dull totem in my face? Boons? Never heard of them.

You get hooked? Sorry, I’m on death hook and am not going to be sticking my neck out.

You need a heal? You know, I would but I’m kind of busy with this generator.

Comments

• Murgleïs
    Murgleïs Member Posts: 1,046
    Options

So you are throwing because you got caught by the killer. Interesting.

• LylakLavender
    LylakLavender Member Posts: 339
    Options

This^^^ 100%. I just love how people let you get to the second hook just so they can get gen points. Newsflash it's easier to live if 4 are working on gens not 3.

• LylakLavender
    LylakLavender Member Posts: 339
    Options

I'm sorry that's happened to you. It sucks.

• MDRSan
    MDRSan Member Posts: 298
    Options

No, the killer’s job is to hook me. Is it not part of your team’s job to help you? If not, what issue do you have with the things I said - none of those things are my job after all, right? I don’t mind being hooked - I do mind being left on hook long enough that I blow past 1st hook state while I watch teammates making no effort to get to me.

If you want to call it throwing, you’re welcome to. You’re wrong though, since throwing is purposefully losing and I’m pretty sure prioritizing my survival over everyone else isn’t a loss.

I will say it’s interesting how you don’t think letting a teammate go to death hook on first hook isn’t throwing though. It’s almost like selfish players can’t play as selfishly if their team is just going to do it right back to them and that bothers some players.

• Sonzaishinai
    Sonzaishinai Member Posts: 7,976
    Options

There is no I in team

But scramble the letters a bit and you can find a "me" in there

Yeah honestly i would not blame anyone for playing a bit more concervetive if they are on dead hook after one hook for no good reason

• JustAnotherNewbie
    JustAnotherNewbie Member Posts: 1,941
    Options

Happened to me yesterday. Someone brought a game offering and I saw the killer first and run them for about a minute I think but only 1 gen popped (I think teammates had no idea how to navigate the map). Then I saw them all downstairs while on the hook and someone going in and out of lockers and generally all hanging out together. Finally Bill came and got me but I hit second stage. I hear Legion theme and start running and I went to lower level and what do you know, legion is there and I died cause there were no pallets left. Such an exciting game.

We actually could have gotten like 3 gens while I was getting chased.

• Marc_go_solo
    Marc_go_solo Member Posts: 4,909
    Options

I do, although in a couple of recent games that same survivor I helped teamed with the killer to get me towards the end of the match, so that sours it a fair bit.

Fortunately, I will still continue to save others, as well as continue to waste part of my play time writing up dissertations to send to BHVR for colluding with killers that may well end up unresolved for several months. :D

• tippy2k2
    tippy2k2 Member Posts: 5,078
    Options

I get it

I won't go THAT far that I'll completely throw a game out of spite in that kind of situation but I am a Solo player who will stay behind and do everything I can to save my team, even if it ultimately costs me my life (those Hero Saves I think are super fun when they work). I won't throw my life away if there is a ZERO percent chance (Basement Bubba Facecamping you in the EGC for example) but if there is even a 1% chance that I can save you, I will go for it.

If I have a team that leaves me to hang out to dry like that though, I become far more selfish. If I can help you without risking myself I will but if I'd have to risk myself to save you, I'm likely not going to do it. Once I get my chance to escape, that gate is being opened and I'm out of there. Good luck, hope you escape! Or don't, I don't really care :D

• ElodieSimp
    ElodieSimp Member Posts: 354
    Options

I either go through one of the two extremes. All three come for me causing another 1-2 downs or no one comes for me. Seems to be the nature of solo queue and how the game is described.

• Survive Together… Or Not - Survivors can either cooperate with the others or be selfish. Your chance of survival will vary depending on whether you work together as a team or if you go at it alone. Will you be able to outwit the Killer and escape their Killing Ground?

I think this is a blessing and a curse as DBD has an insane amount of variables. You're noticing they are trying to slowly notch back on those with recent updates. Curious what this game will look like in update 7.0

• ByeByeQ
    ByeByeQ Member Posts: 1,104
    Options

Don't worry, I'm coming!

*loud Jeff breathing*

• MDRSan
    Options

I don’t carry it over to following games or anything, and never directly help the killer. I just stop being altruistic in any way and worry about myself. After all, my ‘team mates’ that round certainly can’t be relied on to help out with my safety.

• GiveMeTheBox
    GiveMeTheBox Member Posts: 331
    Options

Leave me alone, I'm self caring through sloppy

• Halloulle
    Halloulle Member Posts: 1,116
    Options

well, it's somewhat more complicated than that - at least if you don't bring kindred. If, based on teamies auras, you can tell that they actually just not bother - especially if someone is close-ish to you - then I can see where you're coming from and going from altruistic to selfish is probably anyone's best bet in that situation.

--- I would, however, never blame the guy opposite of map on a gen for not leaving that gen to make a journey across the whole map or when the person who went for the unhook ran into a proxy camping killer and doesn't do an unhook mid-chase etc.. These are things that come down to communication and soloQ doesn't have that.

• Sheridan_LT
    Sheridan_LT Member Posts: 417
    Options

If you're on death hook and working on a gen, that is what you should be doing. Not giving out heals because you're doing gens is a little stupid though. It's perfectly reasonable you don't wanna help a team that waits out your entire hook stage against a Killer that isn't camping.

• Marc_go_solo
    Marc_go_solo Member Posts: 4,909
    Options

That sounds fair! I mean, if you're injured and with no way to heal yourself, and the only other guy is on their first hook with the killer scouting nearby, it's not worth the save anyway.

Best follow Dwight's advice: "We need to work as a team. I need you to survive so that I can survive". It sounds like it's all about team work, but note it comes back to his need of surviving himself, and for Dwight I reckon he'd work together to a point, but at the end of the day, if hope seems lost, he'll fend fpr himself.

• SoylentPixie
    SoylentPixie Member Posts: 1,192
    Options

I used to be altruistic to a fault, I mean I still run my ambulance build among the others I'm trying, and my personal 'win' is getting as many people out of the gate as possible, often to my own detriment. But ever since I came back to an apparently drunk MMR system there are days when I feel my team mates have the collective intelligence of fried spam, and suddenly all I want to do is get myself out of the gate.

There are some matches where no matter how good a team mate you try to be, you simply have the energy sapped out of you when you hit that second hook stage and there's only one player, halfway across the map, still crouch walking to you while the killer has already been out of your Kindred radius for about 40 seconds. It's more painful to watch because safe hook saves are what I do best. (Hey some of us are great loopers, others do better in support)

I'd never purposely throw a match out of spite, but i can understand not wanting to go out of your way too much when team spirit was flushed away along with your second hook stage.

• Jeromy137
    Jeromy137 Member Posts: 348
    Options

Sadly you have to deal with people like that as solo q the game also has a quote "survive as a team or not" and there are a lot of perks that benefit not playing as a team member

Survivors in solo q situations are out to save themselves not play as a team

I try to save people before they hit second hook phase sometimes the killer makes it impossible to do so

I'm sorry you had to deal with survivors that don't want to work as a team

• SMitchell8
    SMitchell8 Member Posts: 3,301
    Options

Why would a solo survivor waste time transversing across the map to unhook someone and risk getting caught themselves? If a fellow survivor is nearby then fine, help them when clear, but I won't leave one half of the map for the other if I'm repairing a gen.

• JustAnotherNewbie
    JustAnotherNewbie Member Posts: 1,941
    Options

I want to apologize for the Ash I left to die cause NOED activated and I was on death hook if I was caught. But he saved me both times I believe.

For Ash I will become a better survivor and remove every totem I see.

• sulaiman
    sulaiman Member Posts: 3,213
    Options

Well, it all depends. Did you bring kindred? Because i didnt, and thus, i understand that situations like that might happen, especially if all survivors are far away, so every one things someone else has to be closer.

If i am about to finish a gen, and i am far away, and i have no idea if someone is already at your hook (and just hasnt unhooked you because of a camping killer, for instance) then the outcome might be that you go to second hook stage. You want to be spiteful about that? Be it, i play killer too, and people like you give me easy games.

• Dwight_Fairfield
    Dwight_Fairfield Member Posts: 6,778
    Options

Can I trouble you for an unhook? Can I trouble you to do a gen? Can I trouble you for a body block as the killer chases me to the exit?

Common solo queue requests.

• Volcz
    Volcz Member Posts: 1,126
    Options

Its a horrible feeling. Especially when you've ran the killer majority of the time + brought Kindred. Made me stop bringing Kindred, lol.

• Shaped
    Shaped Member Posts: 5,869
    Options

Denied

• MDRSan
    Options

I play killer too. When I see someone left on hook for almost 2 full cycles and I know there are survivors that weren’t being pressured by me and could have saved them I go extra hard to make sure no one but that survivor gets out.

If you’re about to finish a gen then you have plenty of time to finish and still get to me in time. If you just started a gen then you don’t, but that really isn’t ‘about to finish’ is it?

Let me ask - on death hook, exactly how smart is it of me to do anything that would put me in harms way? You seem to suggest I should help a team that can’t be bothered to help me. That’s not going to happen.

I’m also not sure how you can say people like me give you easy games when the problem is my team is acting like they’d like to 3 player the match. Yes, I’m sure games where 1 player is out of commission for a long time is easy. Doesn’t have anything to do with me.

• MDRSan
    Options

I would love to do a gen. Can you drag it over to my hook? 😛