Dissappearing swarm auras

So playing a lot of artist lately to get her perks and I keep running into this thing where survivors on my cross-map snipes will have the swarm on them for an extremely short amount of time so I assumed they must be hopping in lockers so I equipped Iron Maiden, Lowe and behold they are not hopping in lockers but the swarm just disappears and way faster than I recover from sending them out, when I get short range hits it takes them at least til I can get another dire crow up and try to hit them again but at long range no go. I even sent one across the pap, hit them with the crow, had them trigger their aura with gearhead and hit them a second time but the swarm was already gone. Putting a video up to look at there are several instances in it.

https://youtu.be/ffkgatymu3s

Comments

• sizzlingmario4
    sizzlingmario4 Member Posts: 6,675
    edited September 2022

The aura will show as long as they're not repelling and for 2.5 seconds after they start repelling. Velvet Fabric addon increases this to 4 seconds.

If they stop repelling the aura will come back.

I looked through your video and didn't notice anything unusual.

• ryokoryu
    ryokoryu Member Posts: 193

Thanks, I watch all these videos where the aura stays visible until they take damage. I notice also they send 2 sets of crows after the aura, why is that?

• sizzlingmario4
    sizzlingmario4 Member Posts: 6,675
    edited October 2022

I'm not sure if this is exactly what you're asking, but since your cooldown time after launching crows gets longer with the more crows you send, it can often be optimal to try to swarm someone with 1 crow and then you can use multiple to follow up if you need to (to make it easier to get the injure/give the survivor multiple crows to avoid) since the longer cooldown doesn't matter as much then.

If you only use 1 crow initially and swarm a survivor, then you only have to wait 5 seconds to be able to then place and launch up to 3 more to try to injure them before they can repel the swarm. If you use more than 1 crow initially, then the survivor will be able to repel that swarm before you get off cooldown, unless you can force them to vault or drop a pallet in that time (repelling takes 8 seconds, but they have to start over if they vault, drop a pallet, use dead hard, etc.). So you can try to hit them once with just 1 crow to get the shorter cooldown and then you can follow up with multiple crows if you need to.

Cooldowns:

1 crow - 5 seconds

2 crows - 9 seconds

3 crows - 12 seconds

4 crows (only possible w/ Ink Egg addon) - 14 seconds

Festering Carrion will reduce these cooldowns by half a second per crow (so 4.5, 8, 10.5, 12).