Blighted Oni Reaction

Options

I have to admit, a little dissatisfied with the video shot of the Blighted Oni. Looks like the base skin with glowy glows randomly splotched on there.

The mask looks cool. Worth considering. But was hoping for a wild reimagining of Oni being blighted. Ala Nurse, Hillbilly, Wraith, Spirit, Hag.

This is in the vein of Trapper. New mask. Basically the same body with a few mods. Even the weapon seems to be the same katana.

What were your thoughts and reactions to the release trailer?

Comments

• UnknownKiller
    UnknownKiller Member Posts: 3,024
    Options

I suppose they cant change the basic skin of those character I suppose their contract are stricter that the ones of ghostface for example.

• neb
    neb Member Posts: 789
    Options

Waiting for the blood fury mode, if that doesn't change much then it's not worth it imo.

• Grigerbest
    Grigerbest Member Posts: 1,334
    Options

Comparing previous blighted skins and these 2... I was expecting more tbh.=)

Both blighted skins looks underwhelming imo.

• ThanosPAWG
    ThanosPAWG Member Posts: 412
    Options

Honestly I like it. I wasn't expecting Oni to become some feral beast so not seeing it doesn't disappoint me. Blighted Wesker could have done way more to the head though.

• Laluzi
    Laluzi Member Posts: 5,553
    Options

Yeah, I'm pretty underwhelmed. Oni was one of the characters they really could have gone monstrous and creative with, so unless Blood Fury is hiding some hidden mutation, I think this was a waste of Oni's blighted cosmetic.

Wesker's not that blighty either, but I didn't have any expectations for him, so eh. They could have gone more ham with Uroborus, but I don't know how much they can do given the licensing and whatever restrictions RE may have set.

• DoritoHead
    DoritoHead Member Posts: 3,546
    Options

The body could be better but the head is great and I’m excited to see how it looks in blood fury. Blighted Wesker is pretty underwhelming.

• SMitchell8
    SMitchell8 Member Posts: 3,293
    Options

Oni's looks meh. Not worth paying for imo. Wesker been out 5 minutes and already has one 🤣

• Friendly_Blendette
    Friendly_Blendette Member Posts: 2,923
    Options

Mask is cool the rest is boring AF>

• Smoe
    Smoe Member Posts: 2,509
    Options

I think Oni looks alright, imo it looks more in the vein of spirit's blight outfit.

• Steel_Eyed
    Steel_Eyed Member Posts: 4,031
    Options

I think it’s closer to Trapper or Plague. The base model with slight alterations.

Spirits is high level outfit. Total reimagination of her image. Grotesque. Recolored. The weapon is totally unique.

Oni has a modified mask. The rest is glowy base outfit.

• Smoe
    edited October 2022
    Options

Apart from the mask, Oni's body has recieved some blight bubbles, some blisters too (Same blisters Spirit had on her blight outfit body) as well as having his armor deformed from what it originally looks like, also i'm pretty sure the katana got some changes too even thou we only see the handle of it

Whether you think it's enough or not is up to you, however to me i think it looks pretty neat and reminds me more of spirit's outfit than trapper's, so we'll have to agree to disagree on the quality.

• TeleportingTurkey
    TeleportingTurkey Member Posts: 589
    Options

I like Oni's blight.

I don't think there's much could be done about him anyway, as his default appearance is already heavily altered by Entity to shape Kazan into Oni. His default outfit is already a physical manifestation of said Oni persona Kazan has been compared to.

Wesker's outfit is a letdown though, unlike Oni, he had colossal potential and it was seemingly blown out.

• Steel_Eyed
    Options

I am genuinely questioning this. To my eye, the body and sword are identical. Same ropes. Same plates. Same leg wear. The blade has the same hook near the handle.

• Friendly_Blendette
    Friendly_Blendette Member Posts: 2,923
    Options

I have a few ideas I came up with in like 5 min

1) have him bloated from the blood suck (also matches spirit that way)

2) have him stuck witha bunch of syringes like his rift outfit to show how difficult it was for blight to restrain him

3) tentacle hair dripping with blight

4) Katanas making him look like a pin cushion

5) massive eye on his chest.

Any of those wouldve been better imo. Like its still an alright cosmetic but it does feel like a waste of THE blighted skin he gets.

• Steel_Eyed
    Options

I don’t know if I agree. Hillbilly and Wraith are perfect examples of how creative DBD has been with their blighted outfits. Their blights are vastly different manifestations of the characters. The level of deformity is hyuge. The Oni seems to take on the mask even more. Kinda stops there.

• Steel_Eyed
    Options

Now we’re talking. The mask looks great. The body and weapon are the let down. Maybe I’m missing a lot of detail from the video that will be apparent in the store.

• GreyBigfoot
    GreyBigfoot Member Posts: 940
    Options

It's not an orange, grotesque mutation like Clown, Legion, or Blight so it's a little bit dissatisfying. The mask is cool, for sure.

Didn't get a good look at the weapon but if it's made out of a serum vial like all the others before it, that would make it better. The body is much simpler, like the Hag or Trapper's Blighted skin though, yeah.

• RonMan32
    RonMan32 Member Posts: 413
    Options

I'm more bummed about Blighted Wesker not being shirtless.

• HoodedWildKard
    HoodedWildKard Member Posts: 2,013
    Options

Calling it now the flavour text will be something along the lines of "serum makes angry oni ANGRIER"

• TeleportingTurkey
    TeleportingTurkey Member Posts: 589
    Options

before Wesker, it was clear that the blight basically turns killers into physical manifestation of whatever made them who they are or what they were on the inside.

like Hillbilly's ugliness and insanity is drawn out in a form of this deformity, Spirit's Yamaoka legacy is manifested in a form of a third eye and horn-like glass shards stuck in her face, etc.

It kinda makes sense that killers like Pyramid Head or Oni didn't go through much drastic changes and were only changed biologically as their appearance already matches whatever they are - PHead being a physical form of James' guilt and Oni being forced to wear Oni mask that perfectly describes who he is.

Although with Wesker it seems BHVR just got lazy with blighted skins designs and instead of trying to use them as another way of visual story telling, they are just putting blight blisters and deformities onto killers without too much thought in it.

• Smoe
    edited October 2022
    Options

You're clearly not looking at the details then, because there are some clear noticable differences.

Pieces of clothing around the leg are sticking out.

Chest Plate face is deformed with two faces merging into one another and is more demonic looking. The shoulder plates is a little damaged as it's missing a bit and it's face are more demonic since it spouts darker and longer horns and thicker fangs as well as pointer ears. Oni's body features Blisters similar to those featured on Spirit's blight outfit body, althou to a lesser degree here. The Katana ring bit in the bottom is broken and the hilt has been knocked out of position, the blade also features blight bubbles (we can't see the rest of the blade atm.)

Most of the previous details can be seen here as well, althou now the arm glove can be seen as being slightly damaged since it's missing a small bit. The Shoulder plate face shows more clearly now that it also features sharp teeth which the default doesn't.

While it may not be a complete reimagining of default Oni, it's different enough from his default version imo and frankly looks neat enough as it is.

If you feel different about it then more power to you, but like i said before, we're gonna have to agree to disagree on it.

Post edited by Smoe on
  • OniWantsYourMacaroni
    OniWantsYourMacaroni Member Posts: 5,944
    Options

Man,that's what i was waiting for like 2 years ? :(

The mask is neat,but the rest is just so uninspired.I was really looking forward to see something that really looked like a blighted/corrupted demon.

• Iron_Cutlass
    Iron_Cutlass Member Posts: 2,840
    Options

I wonder if they did something with their Blood Fury as well. Like his hair and body having Blight Serum particles instead of blood and ash. Or maybe even having a contrail for Demon Dash.

• VikingDragonXii
    VikingDragonXii Member Posts: 2,885
    Options

It seems like a let down but remember Oni has a different look when raged out. I expect that's where the Blighted Skin will shine

• Steel_Eyed
    Options

I just noticed that he has a long Ram horn extending through Oni behind his mask/through his neck. Kinda cool there too.

• Norhc
    Norhc Member Posts: 575
    edited October 2022
    Options

I doubt it considering the Oni one is also pretty basic and Nemesis actually got a different face.

• 6659Leg
    6659Leg Member Posts: 102
    Options

Weskers is moreso a huge reference to his final boss fight in RE5. Mainly how one of his arms turned monstrous and while he didn't undergo a HUGE mutation,it was still obvious. So I'm pleased with it overall

• Smoe
    edited October 2022
    Options

I feel you on that, i only just wish that they would have also blighted wesker's face up a bit similar to how his skin turns dark around the eyes during the final boss stage, other than that, it's pretty neat.