Do you use Survivors as a skin or a tool?

Gorik
Gorik Member Posts: 175

I think people miss the point sometimes when it comes to the different survivors. So I hear a lot about how survivors should all have a passive etc, but don't seem to realize they serve a purpose already mainly for Solo Q.

An example being, before built in BT and SWF , if you where trying to unhook a survivor who is being camped, or who the Killer is still close to and you see a Bill appear, then you could more confidently assume he would be running BT and it would be better to let him perform the unhook, and you didn't have to rely on a mic to know the information.

The same with Felix. If you have an item on you that's depleted and a Felix starts pointing at you and bouncing like a lunatic etc, then he might be running Built to Last and is trying to refill your item for you.

I believe that the survivor you use should not just be reduced to something like: Oh I am a Feng main and only play Feng because I like her clothes etc.

Survivors should be treated more like a visual guide as to what your team mates may have that can help you, or influence the trial.

Just as a note, I understand fully how this can be used by Killers as well, for example i still have reservations about slugging a Bill because of Unbreakable, so I tend to hook him, but wasn't that the point of Bill, the man who sacrificed himself so others could escape?

Comments

• LittleBigSunset
    LittleBigSunset Member Posts: 246

I don't know, man. I swear, the amount of times in solo queue I have banked on a Bill running BT only to see him being running both Unbreakable and Left Behind instead in the post-game screen has made my eyes roll into the back of my head.

Regarding the rest of your post, I understand you but because you are free to run any build on any survivor it's difficult to view survivors as anything beyond skins and their 'lore' personalities. I'm fine with it staying that way, to be honest. Passives won't work because there will inevitably be one that's better than the others (eg for Meg faster run speed) and as a result you will experience a much smaller variety of survivors. And using that survivor as a basis for what perks they are going to run is unreliable at best (see above).

A better visual guide would be to be able to view your team's loadouts while you're loading into a match or in the in-game lobby. I believe DBD Mobile has this feature to some extent (I may be misremembering)? It would help significantly with perks that rely on your team coordinating with them for them to be effective eg: allowing me to get the save because I'm running Deliverance or leaving me slugged because you know I can get myself up with Unbreakable.

• xni6_
    xni6_ Member Posts: 505

when i play survivor i play black hair cheryl, and i dont use her perks. the survivors i face play a variety of survivors (mainly nea and feng), and often they just stick to the meta. if theyre david, theyll probably have dead hard on, but thats bc of dead hard, not bc of david.

its not like killers use their killers perks when playing (huntresses dont use any of her 3 perks), they use whats strong that works (slowdown, locating)

• sulaiman
    sulaiman Member Posts: 3,219

I mostly play Claudette, because she is the most stealthy, because in a lot of maps she is harder to see than others.

Otherwise i play Jeff, because he looks like me, just several pounds lighter.

• Hex_iButt
    Hex_iButt Member Posts: 233

Yeah, I play a lot of Mikaela, but because I have most of my perks on her at T3 I run a lot more builds than just throwing her boons in. I don't expect any other Mikaela to bring in CoH or Shadow Step myself, but it can be common for a Survivor to bring at least one of their own unique perks.

They're more just skins, but even then there's usually a lot more to just liking their appearance to choose which survivor you want to main. Relating to the character tends to be a big factor in this kind of thing.

• Gorik
    Gorik Member Posts: 175
    edited October 2022

Killers running their own perks is scarily bad for them tbh lol.

• IamFran
    IamFran Member Posts: 1,616
    edited October 2022

Skin. I mostly play Feng Min with blue hair. I'm one of those "Oh I am a Feng main and only play Feng because I like her clothes etc" haha and her only perk I equip is Lithe and sometimes Alert, which are not a team perks.

• SMitchell8
    SMitchell8 Member Posts: 3,302

Ive only played as Jake because I liked his solo/lone survivor lore, plus he came with dark/camo cosmetics which do help with stealth. I'm not one for running neon clothing in a horror / hide and seek game.

I've always wanted survivors to have less perks but passive abilities built in.

• Jangles
    Jangles Member Posts: 377

Oh I am a Feng main and only play Feng because I like her clothes.

This hurt my feelings. 😅

• Neprašheart
    Neprašheart Member Posts: 439

I do see different characters as skins; I don't expect players to run their character's teachable perks.

Although I do play with Yun-Jin or Feng 24/7, none of them does have the character's teachable perk or two.

I do choose survivors I do play with based on their visual design and assumed personality based on their lore and face expressions. That was also the main reason, why I have been playing with Rin almost all the time back in the day, but I do tend to switch from Rin to Anna from time to time; Hatchets hits are pleasant, and so are hits right after tracking my prey while phasing..

Even if survivors were to get passive built-in abilities in the future, I would still play them based on the preferences I have mentioned above. I don't care, if Yun-Jin would be getting some sort of a stealth passive ability or something, I'd still equip her bright Seoul Socialite outfit..

• IlliterateGenocide
    IlliterateGenocide Member Posts: 6,016

Depends if im losing alot as daddy Jonah then i switch to Zarina or Claudette because they are smaller

• Marigoria
    Marigoria Member Posts: 6,090

I main Quentin and I'm not using any of his trash perks.

• HoodedWildKard
    HoodedWildKard Member Posts: 2,013

Like this suggestion, survivors are kinda just basically skins atm it would be nice if they all had a unique passive ability or they had to use one of their personal perks at least.

• TotemSeeker91
    TotemSeeker91 Member Posts: 2,358

A survivor can have anything on them, do you expect an Ashley to have MoM, flip flop and buckle up? Maybe MoM, but the rest are garbage, so yes, survivors are just skins because they can all use the same tools

• TotemSeeker91
    TotemSeeker91 Member Posts: 2,358

What? You don't want to know who enters the basement for like 5 seconds when you're 32 meters away from it? Lol

• lauraa
    lauraa Member Posts: 3,195
    edited October 2022

Survivors are a mood for me.

If you see me as AoT Meg, then I'm playing selfishly and keeping to myself. If I am STARS Feng, then I'm playing to be a badass. If I am playing Lisa, then I am the team healer...or I just wanna run Balanced Landing etc.

• HugTheHag
    HugTheHag Member Posts: 3,140

I mostly use them as a skin, though I do use two of my character's perks (Dance with me and Windows). But to be frank, it's really unreliable trying to guess at perks according to people's characters, so I don't.

I also don't want to be ruined buying cosmetics I like for each character I feel like playing, so I'm biker Kate all the way.

• LegacySmikey
    LegacySmikey Applicant, Member Posts: 578

I main Meg & don't use any of her perks at all in my general build.

I do however play all survivors in rotation when recording & only use their individual perks.

My no mither David gets killed more by my teamates than he does striaght up murdered by the killer!

• TheSubstitute
    TheSubstitute Member Posts: 2,436
    edited October 2022

For Survivors, I generally run a build centered around one of their perks. For Killers I try to but some Killers (eg. Huntress) have got such terrible perks I don't. I do run meme builds (eg on Deathslinger I quite often run Hex: Retribution, Thrill of the Hunt, Undying, Haunted Grounds) but a few Killer perks aren't even that much fun to meme around with.