The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Making gen times longer only incentivized killers to camp more frequently

Why do they need to push the survivors off the gen if they don't have to?

Why do they have to leave the hook if they don't have to?

And this creates the next situation:

Why do survivors have to stay in the game when they can d/c and reconnect to a new game in a minute?

This is the state of the game.

Comments

• Blizwise
    Blizwise Member Posts: 69

Yah basically..

killers think gems are too fast so they camp to get that kill. In a lot of my games SWFs are the reason for camping, You head to a hook to hook someone, and bam all 3 are close to the hook.. so why do I need to leave the hook to kill survivors? They are all right there so there is no need to leave. If it’s 2 others there, that one can’t do gems fast enough. SWF don’t really give the killer a reason to leave the area other then to make a unhook easy lol.

killers hook camping against solos usually means a kill or two every game.

facecamping, slugging are pretty much what this game was designed around sadly. Good thing alot of community does do it and they hook and go away to do gens, chase and slug only when it’s kinda needed

• Seraphor
    Seraphor Member Posts: 9,197
    edited November 2022

Gens aren't fast because they take x amount of time to repair. They're fast because survivors only have one main objective and they focus on that to get out as quickly as possible. An extra 10 seconds doesn't make any tangible difference to the killer, which is why "gens are still too fast."

Games last a long time when killers effectively pressure gens and get survivors off them, doing secondary objectives like picking up slugged survivors, doing totems, dealing with powers like reverse bear traps, etc.

Part of the problem is power creep. More perks that make repairing, healing and unhooking/recovering faster and more efficient, saves time spent doing things that aren't repairing gens.

To effectively stop 'gen rushing' you need to make side objectives more appealing, just as to stop camping you need to make not-camping more appealing. There are perks and powers that do this, but nothing universal, and so there will always be killers who are weak at 'forcing survivors to do side objectives'.

This is why Ruin was a healthy perk before 6.1.

• DyingWish92
    DyingWish92 Member Posts: 772

Don't forget all the pallets and safe loops on the map that most killers can't do anything about.

• dspaceman20
    dspaceman20 Member Posts: 4,699

The amount of second chance perks survivors have have been nerfed significantly also not even working I'm endgame.

We also observed killers still camping and tunneling immediately after the perk changes came out along with stacking slowdown Perks too.

Op is right on the money on this

• Brimp
    Brimp Member Posts: 2,878

I mean... maps also play a big role in how a killer plays. Someone gets eyrie of crows and Mothers dwelling where pressuring gens is next to impossible on most killers not to mention eyrie being ormond 2.0 where basically each tile has a 80% chance to have a pallet until you yourself plays on it as survivor.

• DemonDaddy
    DemonDaddy Member Posts: 4,167
    edited November 2022

Gens are already really quick and easy to do, it's mainly survivor sided incompetence that makes them seem like forever. The best anti-gen builds still fall short when facing gen jockey teams.

Like any strategy, camping can completely backfire or prove fruitless depending on the situation at hand.

• fake
    fake Member Posts: 3,250

Now let us assume that the generator is finished in 10 seconds.

You will not be able to sabotage the generator in time, so you camp to secure 1 KILL.

What is the difference?

To make camping less attractive, I think it is more important to give more incentive for not camping than to punish camping.

Also, the issue of DC is different. Selfish players who routinely DC will DC in any situation.

• Steakdabait
    Steakdabait Member Posts: 1,265

survivors don't have that many actually 2nd chance perks anymore lol It's actually just like deliverance and unbreak now. DS was nerfed into uselessness.

• Brimp

You have to go through at least 1 second chance every chase now and ds is still a 2nd chance its just a matter of where you go down.

• Steakdabait

what is the 1 second chance perk you deal with every chase? DH isn't a second chance perk btw nether is OTR or basekit BT.

• C3Tooth
    C3Tooth Member Posts: 8,266

Old:

• Borrowed Time
    • Into more powerful Dead Hard
    • Into more powerful DS

Now:

• Basekit Borrowed Time
    • Dead Hard doesnt work with Deep wound
    • DS is useless
  • Brimp

"neither is OTR or basekit bt".... so if a killer positions you on a hook in a dead zone and you make it to a tile because of OTR or basekit bt is that not a second chance? The killer put you on a hook around an area that your team used the resources on and now your team rushes in for an unhook and doesn't take a hit. Like how by definition is that not a second chance or should I call it an "outplay" when absolutely no skill was put into the action.

• Brimp

Dh is stronger vs M2 killers but can be weaker vs m1's.

• Steakdabait
    edited November 2022

"so if a killer positions you on a hook in a dead zone and you make it to a tile because of OTR or basekit bt is that not a second chance?" Nope that'll be their first chance in that situation as they'll actually get a chance to play the game unless you consider holding W for 10 seconds while the killer tailgates you waiting out bt "playing" the game lol

• Brimp

Lets say in a semi perfect world the killer didnt want to tunnel you out but if your team gave the killer an opportune time to like rushing an unhook you had your chance but your team took it from your but then that BT comes in to give you a 2nd. Which in a lot of cases happens in my games where someones a bit too eager for that save so they give me an opportunity to snowball and punish for the teammates mistake. Which I'm trying to win so why wouldn't I? Its not like anything survivors or killers do can be considered fun for both sides nowadays. Maybe back in 2016 where no one knew what they were doing.

• Steakdabait

I don't quite understand what you mean by this "the killer didnt want to tunnel you out but if your team gave the killer an opportune time to like rushing an unhook you had your chance but your team took it from your but then that BT comes in to give you a 2nd"

Do you really believe that someone should be punished being the clicky nea farmed you 0.3 seconds after the killer as hooked you? basekit BT is half anti grief measure and half anti tunnel/camping measure. It lets you have at least a chance to a tile. Again unless you really consider getting unhooked and downed immediately with no chance of doing anything or getting anywhere "chance 1" i really struggle to see how bt/otr are 2nd chance effects.

• SmarulKusia
    SmarulKusia Member Posts: 819

This game has never been more killer-sided in it's history, with most second-chance perks being useless as a killer can catch up relatively fast despite them.

• Ghouled_Mojo
    Ghouled_Mojo Member Posts: 2,287
    edited November 2022

The word ‘only’ means one. It did not ‘only’ incentivize killers to camp if they have indeed started camping more. No idea there, haven’t seen numbers but it could be very true for camping more often.

it also incentivized survivors to run prove thyself more often. It’s not uncommon to see two sometimes three three survivors running it.

It also incentivized survivors to work together more, unless facing certain killers, because of perks like prove thyself.

you very well could be correct about increased camping. It would not surprise me a bit. Increasing gen time just does not ‘only’ cause a killer to camp more.

• Brimp

Thats the whole point of being a team? If one person ######### up at least 1 other will also suffer because of it.

• Brimp

Still goes Swf, killer, then soloq in terms of power scaling.

• SmarulKusia
    SmarulKusia Member Posts: 819

That's because the devs refuse to actually address the bridge fully. But there isnt much difference between SWF and Killers considering the statistics that they released, as killers on average have a positive kill rate.

• Sava18
    Sava18 Member Posts: 2,439

I agree on everyone but blight, the interaction has stayed the same. I either have something to bump on behind you to bait it or there is nothing and I can't bait it. If the blight is running alch ring then It doesn't matter any way for the most part.

• RpTheHotrod
    RpTheHotrod Member Posts: 1,820
    edited November 2022

Gens are "too fast" now because when they added 10 seconds, most survivors jumped to gen rushing speed builds, so now Killers feel even more compelled to camp or run heavy gen regression perks.

Personally, I'd completely remove gen speed (whether repair speed or regression speed) from being able to be modified by perks. Have it streamlined. Would be so much easier to balance, and gen speeds wouldn't be a guessing game of 100 different possible variables. Kicks would probably need to be removed, and gens would need to slowly regress automatically. This would favor survivors who are able to stay on gens, but favor killers where survivors are not sticking to gen work. Would be a balancing act on both parties. If the survivors get away with a lot of gen progress, the killer is going to have a hard time keeping that gen from completing without guarding it (which takes away from other gen guarding), but if a killer can keep survivors on their toes, gens will begin to regress. Essentially, it would be about gen repair prevention as opposed to gen repair reaction like it is, now.

• JordanMalicious
    JordanMalicious Member Posts: 383

I don't know if this'll make killers camp more. I think killers will camp because some killers choose to camp.

I will camp if survivors try to dive bomb the hook. I will also camp if survivors have been flying through gens and I need to secure a kill. Gen time being increased won't make me camp just because.

That's just me though 🤷‍♂️

• INoLuv
    INoLuv Member Posts: 464

Camping only works if survivors allow. I lost hundreds of matches because the 3 simply stayed by the hook being camped instead of finishing the gens with me and escaping

• TotemSeeker91
    TotemSeeker91 Member Posts: 2,358

Complaining about DS now is so last year, just don't tunnel TADA

• Brimp