Am I just bad or is Slinger awful?

MaTtRoSiTy
MaTtRoSiTy Member Posts: 1,853
edited December 2022 in General Discussions

So I am doing lots of adepts/steam achievements I never go around to and I have reached Slinger and boy am I struggling with his adept.

It feels like 90% of the time if the survivor is at the limit of my possible range my shots are going to miss, it looks like they just go into nowhere even though I can clearly see my aim is spot on.

Also his slow movement speed makes loops absolutely painful and even if I can land a shot on a injured survivor, so long as they drop one of the many pallets on every map all I can do is deep wound them which obviously does nothing.

I don't particularly like Slinger and doubt I will play him again after I have his achievements but I can understand why people were complaining. He is like an infinitely worse Huntress who has range but cannot actually injure over pallets.

I guess any tips to help with this damn adept would be great too :)

Comments

• MaTtRoSiTy

Thanks, trouble is I cant run STBFL for his adept otherwise I would

• MaTtRoSiTy

Yeah I am sure good Slingers can do a lot but of course I really just want his adept so it limits my perk options and makes it harder.

I think I might have to wait for rank reset for this one as I am still getting 3k's (if I am lucky) but losing gens too fast and I hate to think how much worse it would be without DMS being one of his perks.

• Gwinty
    Gwinty Member Posts: 981

Slinger is not that bad. He is just not in a good spot right now.

For me he feels fine and I enjoy a round of Slinger every now and then. However I never play him "to win", I more or less play him for some stupid builds that bring me joy: Trail of Torments or Insidious for gen-camping, Rancor/Nemesis/Leathal for Rancor-Roulette and so on.

A friend of mine who played him before his changes says he feels awful now without his quickscope. As I did not have him back than and can not compare I do not know if that is true.

• MaTtRoSiTy

I am almost embarrassed to admit I have owned Slinger since he was released but only just got around to actually playing him lol

I would like to thank BHVR for adding bots so I could at least learn his mechanics rather than being humiliated as I fumble around figuring him out in a live match!

But either way, I have to play him to win if I want the adept otherwise I really would not care as I am not a sweaty killer player at all. Again, perk suggestions are all good but not much help for his adept and I highly doubt I will play him again once I have his achievements. Not that he isn't at least a bit fun... it is just a tad painful and I prefer other killers

• Grandpa_Crack_Pipe
    Grandpa_Crack_Pipe Member Posts: 3,306

Yeah, I just completely blanked out on the adept part. Whoops.

Keys/coin are definitely the greatest power combo, but that requires going for more ambitious shots that the survivors might be savvy to-- going for super risky shots could lose you the game just as easily as win it. Reload/reload is probably going to be the safer choice.

If you have a shot you're not sure about, zone instead. Make them waste time swerving, not looking at you, overcorrecting. Even a tiny bit of distance lost could make the difference.

I recommend just breaking safer pallets immediately once they're dropped, 110% means you'll take too much time lining up the kill shot. Leave them nothing but those wonderful wonderful windows that're basically free downs. How well this works out depends on the map, so.. kinda just have to hope on that front.

Also, make sure to fully utilize the very boring but very practical utility of your shot as basically a fast, big lunge. If they're going to get to a pallet before you, but you know they have nowhere else to go and you'll get a sight line first, get that shot ready and wait for them to commit. They HAVE to. It'll get them killed way more often than wild moonshots.

• MaTtRoSiTy

No problem at all, I did ask for advice too so it all helps even if not specifically with adept.

I will try those addons as I am ignorant to what his best are and I run whatever lol...

Some good tips there otherwise though, thank you! All makes sense and yeah it maps obviously make a big difference as does RNG

• danielmaster87
    danielmaster87 Member Posts: 9,109

Just like Wraith, Freddy, Pinhead, and Twins, he's a killer that should have gotten several qol changes or buffs, not a blasted nerf. No, it's not you. It's the weak killer you're playing who has to slow motion zoom in to shoot, and then slowly reels in the survivors like fishies while they break the chain in like 3 seconds. Zero incentive/reward for good aim, reactions, or skill.

• MaTtRoSiTy

Doesn't help when I play him I seem to have the worst luck with maps lol... Just had so much fun on RPD... :/

• Grandpa_Crack_Pipe

His other addons aren't necessarily bad, but they just don't have as strong of an impact as cutting down on that massive reloading timesink. Reload/reload has pretty much been the de-facto best Slinger addons until the Coin got buffed to actually be reasonable.. which makes it kind of terrifying now.

But yeah, hope it helps. I got my Adept before the nerf (though DMS and Gearhead were worse, and it was on Disturbed Ward, so I didn't get off too easy), but I'll see if I can't get an all-Slinger merciless for solidarity.

• MaTtRoSiTy

Yeah I wish I had just tried then tbh... so much harder now.

I think I will give up for now as this is just beyond frustrating but thanks

• danielmaster87
    danielmaster87 Member Posts: 9,109

He was intended to have quickscoping. Before his nerf, I was one of the biggest Deathslinger fans, after initially being a huge doubter. "Why do you all put Deathslinger above Legion in your tier lists?" Stuff like that. Then I saw his power in chase, despite having zero map presence, and reaped the benefits of having good aim and reactions.

I went from playing him in like 80% of my killer matches to straight-up refusing to play him after his nerf. They ruined him, utterly and completely. I can't get those tight shots around corners anymore where my character, my cross hair, and my target were all moving simultaneously. And you know what? Nobody sees that. They think he went from S tier to A tier with the nerf. It's the purely survivor-centered design mentality towards killers that's been plaguing this game for half a decade.

• MaTtRoSiTy

Yeah I can see why you don't play him lol

I just got the Bound and Downed Steam achievement (down 30 speared survivors) but I think I will park him up and wait for rank reset for the adept as I am getting tilted now.

Example of how pathetic he is: My last match I was on Sanctum and at one point there was a small rock that I chased a survivor around and I must have done 4 loops of it before I started to actually gain any distance lmao. Because his ADS is so slow I could not take the shot regardless and of course they dropped the pallet and I got a useless deep wound out of all that.

The survivors were actually pretty wholesome and at the end even they were saying what in the actual ***** was going on lol? They wondered how several of my shots simply didn't hit and honestly it feels like some of them are just RNG with a high probability they will not hit.

Anyway, thanks all but I think my Slinger adept is on hold until reset lol... I will go insane otherwise

• AnneBonny
    AnneBonny Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 2,252

i've mained slinger for months now and people severely overestimate how much impact the nerf had. quickscopes weren't a necessary part of his kit, frankly i think a lot of people just don't know how to adapt.

• MeltingPenguins
    MeltingPenguins Member Posts: 3,742

Outside of adept, forget STBFL to begin with, it's a useless perk on him unless you plan on playing scummy

As for adept, it's a bit the addon combo here. I'd rec any of the 'smaller tr when aiming + faster movement when aiming' combos. It takes a little practice and map knowledge (and good judgement of survivors) but it's pretty good to sneak up with the 'faked' TR, which can be a great help.

good luck

• WesCravenFan
    WesCravenFan Member Posts: 2,638

Deathslinger was absolutely assassinated. They took so much from him and gave nothing back. There's basically nothing he can do another Killer can't do better. He has no unique qualities. His ranged attack doesn't even inflict damage on its own.

• MaTtRoSiTy

I am sure if you main him and have put in a lot of time you should be able to get a lot out of him as would be expected. But for someone like me who really just wants the adept it is pretty painful and feels very frustrating to play him. Though as I said, it isn't the least fun and I would enjoy it more if I wasn't stuck with his pretty average perks to get the adept.

I just got the meat plant so I think I am done for today either way...

• Sonzaishinai
    Sonzaishinai Member Posts: 7,976

Slinger isn't bad per say but he does have a awefull adept

He is really dependend on perks to offset his weaknesses and his own perks are kinda combo perks that don't really do anything without support

I would suggest waiting untill the reset and trying then. You're going to need a lucky throwing survivor game to get it

• HectorBrando
    HectorBrando Member Posts: 3,167

The problem with his adept is mostly his perks, DMS is good altough it loses a lot of potential on low mobility Killers like him, Retribution is not very good and by itself alone is even worse, Gearhead is overall useless.

Pair those perks with a low mobility Killer and a meh power makes his adept much harder than others, Deathslinger is not THAT bad but you cant miss more than a couple of shots in the entire match or you will lose any chance at mounting pressure with the hooks.

• MaTtRoSiTy

Yeah I agree with last two comments... the perks make the adept very hard and I should wait for reset. I really enjoyed doing Onryo adept even if it wasn't easy either but I am finding Slinger to be really painful

If I could use other perks to at least slow gens down a bit I probably would have more fun. But this is the misery of killer adepts I guess

• Turretcube
    Turretcube Member Posts: 460
    edited December 2022

This sum's it up really. There''s some killer's that just have a really terrible draw of perk's for there adept with how they function. Sometime's it's the opposite and you just steam roll the match or are punished for using there power (Billy/Leatherface/Oni). Would be nice if you could do the adept's with just a 4th perk of your choice or one from the common pool, more to complement a killer's adept set when they get a perk like retribution but no other hex to work off it.

Add-on wise, yeah as people said your looking at iri-coin or reload speed mostly to try help you. Prison chain's can help with getting survivor's or you around some object's, there's quite a few you can do it on without them but that extra 10% does make alot of difference sometime's, especially if you get a shot through a boarded shack window. If you stack on the deepwound timer add-on's you can give survivor's a 18 second mend should you need to drop them. The railroad spike is also somewhat helpful since it apply's mangle on shot.

Probably a bigger help would be stacking the map in your favour, some map's like lery's just handicap you hard, but knowing a map realm and what you can get away with on it will help.

• GoodBoyKaru
    GoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 22,762

Yeah it's definitely not a you thing. Slinger was massively overnerfed the last time he got changes and hasn't been looked at since, unfortunately.

• MaTtRoSiTy

By far the hardest adept I had so far was Myers.

He has no early game pressure and no gen control perks so I struggled with gens going too fast and his power being a downside as you get punished for ending chases fast with an insta-down.

I tried Scratched Mirror on Lery's etc but his lack of gen control really hurt and it took a lot of pain to get Myers adept.

• MaTtRoSiTy

Thank you and yeah while I fully acknowledge I am far from great with this killer, it feels like he has very little going for him and on certain maps he is essentially useless (not unique to him I guess).

• mischiefmanaged
    mischiefmanaged Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 374

I don't necessarily agree that Slinger is as rough as this thread makes him out to be.

One thing he is though is he is VERY punishing if you miss a shot. It's why the reload addons are basically needed. He's like Billy levels of punishment when you miss a shot and maybe worse.

When you're good at getting shots or zoning for shots, he's got one of the strongest chases. But he does lack a bit of map pressure though because he's 110 and his projectile has range (unlike Huntress).

For the adept, you might want to just use his power in the safe way rather than go for crazy shots. You can use his power similar to PH where you just aim to zone them away from a pallet and then hit them normally. If they don't try to dodge, you just shoot them. It's mostly a lose-lose for the survivor. If you want to get more advanced, Slinger can get some pretty strange shots through small cracks in structures and he can also shoot the top of the survivor's hitbox over certain obstacles. Survivor hitboxes extend above where their head is some amount especially the female survivors (all survivors are the same hitbox, female survivors are generally shorter, hence female survivors have an invisible hitbox above their head). Survivors don't try to dodge these shots as frequently because they don't really expect them.

• MaTtRoSiTy

Yeah I will try to exploit the hitboxes more when I do try the adept again. But waiting for rank reset now as I think I am done with the pain for the immediate future lol

• HectorBrando
    HectorBrando Member Posts: 3,167

Deathslinger punishes a lot for missing his shots, its not as noticeable as Hillbilly, Nurse or Huntress because you are still in the chase so you dont really feel like the Survivor is getting away, but miss 4 or 5 shots and I can guarantee at least 2 gens are going to ding, between the misses and the time it takes to shot+reel+down a chase with him can be slower than you think.

• squbax
    squbax Member Posts: 1,442

As a slinger main, yes he is awfull, however most players do not know how to play so you can still get some plays with him, for example, slinger right now has a lot of sound cues on top of a slow animation when he will fire, this means if you have eyes, there is no way in hell he can snipe you, yet I can get a lot of snipes in my matches, ¿Why is that?, Most players are simply not good, and thats why he or any weak killer can shine.

If you want a recomendation, try to play some matches not to win but to get accustomed to the gun, do not be afraid to try and snipe (as we discussed before good players wont ever get sniped, but they are as rare as a twins match), try to shoot through small gaps too.

• Neamy
    Neamy Member Posts: 359

I always walk backwards when reeling in, unless at a window. It makes the reeling so much faster

• Tranquil_Blue
    Tranquil_Blue Member Posts: 335

I personally gave up on him a while ago. I'm not saying that he CAN'T be good, it's just that for me, he is close to the bottom of the roster in terms of enjoyability. I always have way more fun and success playing Huntress or Trickster if I want a ranged killer.

• MaTtRoSiTy

Yeah I think I will disregard this and go with the consensus of the people with a history of being knowledgeable, having integrity and offering good insights into the game...

• MaTtRoSiTy

Well anyway, thanks for the vast majority of intelligent and useful responses from everyone else

• Devil_hit11
    Devil_hit11 Member Posts: 8,215

On paper, Deathslinger is 4.4 killer with 1 hatchet with a tiny hitbox. I don't know what they are expecting from killers to do with 110% m/s with 1 hatchet. No clue what the thought process was behind his changes. There is too much counter-play to go for trick shots with long ads time. The 32 meter heartbeat is just salt on wound for more shift-w play for an already slow killer. I share same sentiment that he is unfun to play. He will remain unfun to play until his changes are reverted.

The comments on thread are more amusing because suggestion are use X perk to improve the killer when the killer base-kit is damaged too heavily by survivor favouritism. No perks can fix his damaged base-kit. I envy new players that are trying his adept.

• TotemSeeker91
    TotemSeeker91 Member Posts: 2,358

I thought the coin was garbage, what does it do again?

• Grandpa_Crack_Pipe

It used to expose the survivor if you spear them from 16 meters away-- with Slinger's max range being 18.

They changed it to 12 meters. Still tough, but far more doable.

• TotemSeeker91
    TotemSeeker91 Member Posts: 2,358

Ah, got it, so if I had to choose any of slingers add ons, that's not a bad choice

• Zeidoktor
    Zeidoktor Member Posts: 2,064

While it won't help you with the Adept, I thought that the Knight's Hubris might be good on him. Depending on the pallet he can make up distance after getting pallet stunned better than most if you can shoot and reel them back in.

Also, while not useful, it's interesting that because any stun triggers it, the Survivor breaking the chain does, too. They're already injured by that, though, so it's more interesting than useful.

• Grandpa_Crack_Pipe

It was rough.

Solidarity, brother.

• MaTtRoSiTy

I saw Spookyloops did a vid using Hubris on him with Spirit Fury/Enduring of course... good timing for that vid too

• MaTtRoSiTy

It exposes them at a certain range but in my experience it is very difficult to get value from it. Shots at max range seem to miss for no apparent reason so I suspect there is some RNG factor there

• Grandpa_Crack_Pipe

It could be just slightly past max range, or a slight miscalculation with the travel time of the spear, weirdness with the running hitbox, or even just latency. But I don't think RNG is much of a factor with 'Slinger's spears.

You just kinda gotta feel the spear. It makes sense after long enough. Just a bit of a pain in the ass to get there with how punishing it is to miss.

• MaTtRoSiTy

Yeah you are no doubt right here and latency is likely a factor, as well as me just not actually being on point for what the game considers should be a hit. I came from shooters like CSGO and PUBG to DBD so I feel my aim is not the worst even if I would never claim to be a pro...

• Grandpa_Crack_Pipe

I've got no doubt your aim is solid, but the travel time of the spear is the real killer. It's incredibly hard to visualize just how far and how fast a spear travels, since it's such a thin projectile, so you mainly have to go by feeling and making mental marks on the ruler with every landed shot. You have to hesitate to make the mental calculations and adjust for travel time before every shot if you're not super familiar with it, and that's gonna lose you a lot of potential hits.

So you really do just kinda have to go for it. Eventually the calculations come quicker and quicker, and you familiarize yourself with the travel time until you don't have to think about it. It's rough to adjust to, but it's pure serotonin to hit those sharpshots.

• MaTtRoSiTy